Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trackables and length held

54 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

One of mine was dropped in the GC Block Party in August....where it remains to this day-along with >130 other trackables. Over the last several months I've wondered if it is sitting in a box somewhere in Seattle or if someone who attended the BP picked it up and didn't log it. 

You would think (or at least hope) that the staff at GC would know better than to permit the trackables to sit around and collect dust and that geocachers who are interested in caching enough to attend BP would know how to log a trackable.

Posted · Report post

I'm pretty sure I keep TB's for on average 3 months. I don't think I've ever moved one around the Houston area...I only take them along for trips, like from Houston to Dallas, from Dallas to Galveston, etc.

This weekend I held on to a Galveston one I'm taking to Lost Maples SNA & picked up a "Go West" USB & logged to the owner it won't be moved until a Janurary ski trip to Colorado.

If you want your TB's leaving Houston I'm your gal! (I prefer State Parks for drop offs too :))

There's a little shock factor for LPC's for me

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Trackables have a poor record once they are dropped into Mega events, for some reason. I believe they are all picked up, it's just by lazy or irresposible cachers that don't log them out properly. I dropped a new geocoin in GeoWoodstock IX in Pennsylvania, only to have it languish there for TWO YEARS.  Eventually, someone grabbed it, saying they found it "dumped in a cache" (this was a cacher who coincidentally also attended GW IX -- go figure).  The coin disappeared out of the next cache it was placed in, so I have a feeling it never made it there in the first place.  :knuppel2:

Posted · Report post

I do not understand (I'm not being critical here, just can't cipher the logic and this is my direct way of getting to the bottom of something) why anyone would routinely take a trackable out of circulation for even one month, let alone 3 or more.  Why take it at all?  Just discover it.  It doesn't belong to you.  The owner hasn't asked you to hold it.  It could be moving instead of collecting dust on your desk.

Of the 18 trackables I've released, none of them survived due to some variation of this behavior.  I re-released about 10 copy tags since they were so far gone and of those only 5 are still circulating.  I had to tell myself it's just a game and to quit worrying about them.

I am going to teach 2 geocaching 101 classes this Sunday and I will urge the students to DISCOVER them over grabbing them.  Trackables here in the USA have a very short life span and I hate to say it, but the Europeans seem to repect that portion of the game better than we do.

I made up six really cool feral hog tusk trackables and sent them out only to watch them rapidly disappear.  Since then, when I get my hands on more tusks, I give them as collectable gifts to my favorite cachers instead of sending them out.  The tusks are hard to come by, or more of you would have one by now.  The dissapearance of geocoins and TB's has gotton so bad, that I am remiss to send out more, so when I grab one... I move it asap, usually less than a week and mostly due to work conflict.  YMMV and no hard feelings intended, but reading this thread, I would take a look at how trackables are handled.  Peace.

GASTX likes this

Posted · Report post

I made up six really cool feral hog tusk trackables and sent them out only to watch them rapidly disappear. 

You know *that* is why they disappeared.  A TB can't be too cool or it gets taken.  Period.

I wouldn't teach discover only -- but maybe practice discover only if you can't hot potato move it.

Dhaulaghiri and KeyResults like this

Posted · Report post

If everyone just discovered a trackable when they found one in a cache, it would never move.  I've lost several trackables when caches were muggled and the last 3 cachers just discovered it and I ended up wishing one of them had taken it instead.  I agree with the trackables in the USA having a very short life span vs Europe and I'm not sure why that is.  Maybe it's the short American attention span thing were were talking about the other day, Bert.

I have about 20 of the 110+ trackables I released into the wild still moving, and most of those are coins and tags I released in the past few months.  Maybe I'm an idiot, but I keep releasing them for some reason.

Posted (edited) · Report post

"I wouldn't teach discover only -- but maybe practice discover only if you can't hot potato move it."

It''s a geocaching 101 class.  I also teach not to hide one until you find 50.  I'll definately explain the difference in discovery and grabbing though.

I have two unactivated TB's on my desk and gave two as presents the other day, so I'll keep sending them out as well.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Glad I didn't have to steal a bb tusk! But, it does not leave my sight at events, along with a few others that are special. Bert, holding a trackable for any period is almost always related to its mission or goal. "Visit NASCAR Race Tracks" or "Be photographed with Baytown Bert" require some planning man! I discover and pass often. I also LOVE to exchange TBs if frequent traffic and activity.

Edited by KeyResults

Posted · Report post

I have two unactivated TB's on my desk and gave two as presents the other day, so I'll keep sending them out as well.

my gifted TB from you has been activated and i'm bringing it tonight to share at the ABC.

Posted · Report post

I think this is going to have to be a "agree to disagree" topic for me.

I consistently hold on to tb's, (we're talking 2 at a time), because I believe in quality caches rather than quantity. It made sense to place a "skelaton fish" TB to the Dinosaur bone site state park overlooking the river than place it in a LPC.

I'm an active everyday cacher, if someone has a problem with that, they can contact me directly,(I even encouraged the Co trip TB owner to do so).

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

... or "Be photographed with Baytown Bert" require some planning man! I

No doubt.  That man is difficult to find.  Even more rare to see a photo of him.  Imagine getting a photo of the TB with him.

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

Most of the TB's in my possession, I've only had for a week or two.  I did notice I've had one that I pick up at the Block Party in August and, though I've dropped and retrieved it from a couple of events and dipped it here and there, I've failed to move it along yet.  After dropping it and retrieving it from the West Side event yesterday, I got an email from the owner saying, "Thanks for keeping our Hana girl tag safe.  Appreciate the updates too."  That made me feel nice.  B) 

Kirbydox likes this

Posted · Report post

Well, I am probably guilty of being one of those that drives cachestacker nuts.  I sometimes hang on to travel bugs for months at a time - I would like to say maybe 3-6 months in some cases - but only when it is a favorite of mine at the time, or I want to take some cool pictures of it for its gallery, or take it to accomplish its mission, or make sure it is safe before I let it go. 

I don't really like dipping the TBs just for the sake of dipping, but I do occasionally log the travel bugs I have on me as visiting 1-2 of my favorite caches of the day, esp if I took pictures there. 

I like to leave TBs in caches because I like to find TBs in caches.  However, most caches are not big enough, not safe enough, or not dry enough for TBs, so then I end up trading them at events.

Posted · Report post

I'm not out there caching every day like a lot of you so I do usually log a TB as visited when I find a cache that I can't drop it in.  I hadn't thought of it as something that might annoy anyone until now.  I figured that the owner would be glad to know that it hasn't been lost or forgotten about.

Understand that I wasn't talking about the occasional dips so that the owner knows that the TB is moving. I'm talking about people who cache on runs and dip it in every single cache they visit every single time they go out. That's my reference to what was annoying to me. You may have a month's worth of runs and hundreds and hundreds of caches and all of them are within a few miles of each other.

If you pick one up like to try and see if it has met its mission it's a lot of wading through lots and lots of random logs to find out.

Edited by cachestacker

Posted · Report post

This for me was worth a lot since I have been guilty of this series dipping. What you suggest makes much sense to me. Which also may mean I require another hit of Cab... ;)

Posted · Report post

Understand that I wasn't talking about the occasional dips so that the owner knows that the TB is moving. I'm talking about people who cache on runs and dip it in every single cache they visit every single time they go out. That's my reference to what was annoying to me. You may have a month's worth of runs and hundreds and hundreds of caches and all of them are within a few miles of each other.

If you pick one up like to try and see if it has met its mission it's a lot of wading through lots and lots of random logs to find out.

Hmmm. I don't understand. Once I see that a trackable has a goal, I try my best to get it to the goal or move it toward the goal. I don't ever scroll back through all the logs to see if it had met the goal-why does it matter? If I happen to pick one up that says "Do 'blah blah blah' and then come back home", I email the owner to see if it met the goal and is ready to come back home. 

If it doesn't mention for it to come back home, I try to move it along toward the goal. I had one that wanted to visit cruise ship ports so I took it to Galveston, Miami, Puerto Rico, Antiqua, and Tortola (along with Zippertiff's TB that won the race last time).

When you pick one up that has a goal, you scroll through all of the logs to see if it has met its goal? What do you do with it if it has met the goal?

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

I'll look through pictures of the TB to look for goals, and sometimes I scroll through to see countries or states visited just out of my own curiosity.  but like juleed, if I see it has a specific goal, but not a return date, then I try to move it towards it's goal.  I did have one early this year that wanted to come to Texas, then go back to Arizona to it's owner's dorm.  I moved it west to San Antonio to go towards it's return.  Otherwise, I'll try to dip a TB or drop in a specific goal if I can (beaches, gardens, lawns, zoo) and move it along on it's merry way.

JuleeD likes this

Posted · Report post

I discover them in place and leave them unless they've been stuck in a rarely visited cache for many months. Sometimes I'll retrieve a nice geocoin, but only because my wife loves them so much and I want to bring a smile to her face by bringing it home for her to see. The poor treatment of TB's in the US has pretty much jaded me on even messing with them.

JuleeD likes this

Posted · Report post

I think people will personally add a another cachers activated coin and tb to their collection.  I have had many TB notices stating *Discovered at the XYZ event, thanks ABCcacher*.  I am like, wait, I own that tb, why is someone else being thanked for it.  

Also, accumulation of TB's is ideal so that when the next big event hits, they can switch out ones they want to trade etc.

I have been one to lose a tb, find it later, accumulate so I can make an enormous trade or just get rid of all I can because I am not as active a cacher as I once was....or was I ever?

Personally, when I let go of a TB or a coin, I let go.  People are gonna do what they want to do whether we like it or not.  I may get a surprise from a TB I let loose the day I started caching, but we are all different and take the seriousness of a tb at different stages.  Yes, it does get me mad when none of my tb's are moving at all, but as with everything their is risk, and that was the risk I took.

Baytown Bert likes this

I know that feeling, hope to be as active as I once was as well.

Georeyna said...

...because I am not as active a cacher as I once was....or was I ever?
Edited by cajunabear

Posted · Report post

Well we are guilty of the "every cache dips" and some of that is driven over the years of learning some of the TB's are on races and some just so they can see where the TB's are at and where they end up.

To reply to your question, "Move it the next time I go caching if it will fit" generally is applied...while most bring to events to be discovered, we usually do not, we will "discover" the large ones that we have learned over the years we will have trouble re- dropping off at a cache, or will pick others up to help move them along.

I cant tell you how many times we get to a cache with that " large" inventory of TB's or coins and find NOTHING...that is one of the reason we have not released any into the wild....

I cant tell you how many times we have found TB's in containers that were never correctly dropped, and we have picked up and moved along. We had one cacher email all HAPPY, he had given up ever seeing his TB and we found it in the middle of nowhere in a cache that rarely gets visitors and wasn't listed to be in that cache.

One standard we like are the TPWD caches that are ammo cans and large enough and maintained caches that don't normally come up missing and you will find we will drop off TB's for the next soul that makes that hike, and will gain them a surprise.

Overall I agree that TBS are not treated very well for some reason....

Posted · Report post

Lets see how long this lasts....handed a geocoin to camillabacher. It has "traveled" from

Houston to Denmark and was recently placed in a cache

in the East Midlands of England.

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

One standard we like are the TPWD caches that are ammo cans and large enough and maintained caches that don't normally come up missing and you will find we will drop off TB's for the next soul that makes that hike, and will gain them a surprise.

Overall I agree that TBS are not treated very well for some reason....

Because I volunteer w/TPWD to replace missing ammo cans in nearby parks, all of the parks in the SETX area are on my watchlist.

TB's go missing from those caches more than any others I've seen. People are always logging things like "TFTC, no TB's", then you look at the inventory and there are ten listed.

I think it may be because those caches are usually where people start, they start out with limited knowledge of trackables, and they have kids.

The kids find the TB, the parent puts it in their backpack and it gets forgotten about.

Nice containers? Yep, but IMO one of the worst places to put a trackable.

rozowski5 and DangerKitties like this