Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I bought a used red jeep today

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

No shame in owning a used Jeep. I have a 99 TJ and a 2010 Rubicon. Both bought used from family members and wouldn't trade them for anything. In a moment of weakness I still consider trading the 99 in for a FJ (Damn I like FJ's, both old and new).

Glad you joined the Hummer Recovery Tool group!!!!!!

You will need a Berty Tube shift knob now.

Edited by ClanStan
KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Ok, my bad, you will need a Berty Tube to store it in,

Posted · Report post

Ok, my bad, you will need a Berty Tube to store it in,

Or he can park it in a Berty tube...

Posted · Report post

FJ = Fake Jeep.

As a former original FJ owner I would tell you that those were much better than jeeps of the era.  As a former new model FJ driver I will tell you that they are much more comfortable to drive. 

I do like Jeeps though but I would prefer one of these.  JEEP

GASTX likes this

Posted · Report post

My wife loves those FJ Cruisers, but I told her I'd rather (fill in the blank) than buy her a Toyota.  :angel:

Posted · Report post

My wife loves those FJ Cruisers, but I told her I'd rather (fill in the blank) than buy her a Toyota.  :angel:

Why Bert they are the most American cars on the road.  4 in the top 10

Posted · Report post

Who said I hate foreign cars?  Jeeps and Toyotas off-road competition.

Posted · Report post

FJ = Fake Jeep.

As a former original FJ owner I would tell you that those were much better than jeeps of the era.  As a former new model FJ driver I will tell you that they are much more comfortable to drive. 

I do like Jeeps though but I would prefer one of these.  JEEP

That is the one thing I wish Jeep would do. A diesel option with associated drivetrain updrades (Rubicon++) would make me wait in a long line to get one. :fist-pump:

Posted · Report post

Here on the Gulf Coast, there is little any stock FJ or Wrangler can't do right out of the box.

Posted · Report post

4,500 premium for the Grand Cherokee's diesel engine, making it $2,305 more expensive than the Hemi V8.

Posted · Report post

No doubt, My 99TJ is 4 banger (185K miles) and has been in places I should have had my head examined for venturing into, but got in and got out with careful route choices and inertia management.

I am not a rock climber / tear it up in the mud kinda guy, but I do love back wood fire roads, powerline right of ways, etc

Baytown Bert and heftydude like this

Posted · Report post

My fear is this one (like others) will be so loaded with emissions controls and a DEF requirement that it will be a costly proposition to utilize. I work in the diesel industry and the controls and exhaust after-treatment devices are a royal PITA.

Since Dodge has managed to not require DEF on thier diesel PU's so far they may can manage to keep this one clean without it.

I also wish they would have stuck to the small 4 cyl Cummins diesel, it would have been a bit more expensive on the initial purchase but future expenses could offset that.

Posted · Report post

Don't be too harsh on the Jeep pickups.  I had two different ones while in high school and you couldn't get them stuck in anything - and I tried!  Used to go snow drift hunting through empty crop fields up in Ohio and those ole Jeeps just plowed right through.  Loved those things.  Wish they still made 'em.

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

My answer to the whole torque/power matrix is gears.  4.88's and 35 inch tires puts me in the power band and if I'm careful, I can still get 16 mpg.