Archiving One Huge Smile to redesign

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

That place has more thorns than any place I've been.

Posted · Report post

I know.  Same with Cullen and Bear Creek parks.  Grew up riding my bike out there with my team and friends training all summer long.  We'd stop for blackberries when they were ripe though.  Those thorns are why I won't cache in a dress in BCP or GBP...

Posted · Report post

Yea, that's the same reasoning I use for the mankini when caching...

Nightmares tonight for sure now.

Mankini, Monokini, Nokini, Speedo.  3 things noONE should ever see on a man. Hell a speedo just proves you dont JUST lie about how big a fish you caught. mtp

Posted · Report post

Yea, that's the same reasoning I use for the mankini when caching...

Nightmares tonight for sure now.

Mankini, Monokini, Nokini, Speedo.  3 things noONE should ever see on a man. Hell a speedo just proves you dont JUST lie about how big a fish you caught. mtp

Wha? I can name a handful of men who rock a Speedo...& I do appreciate it  ^-^

ANYWAY - Considering I just started caching at the end of June...I haven't even touched this!

I vote an early Jan. mash-up to knock it out; after all the holidays are behind us so we can stomp those thorns & take names! 

Posted · Report post

We have never been caching at GBP.  We were warned of the thorns, bushes to whack, wild pigs, snakes - etcetera.  I haven't done a group cache in a while and would be happy to attend.  Just let me know if it is kid friendly or if I should get a sitter.  If Mrs. D isn't into the smile series then maybe Rs 4&5 can hang with her! 

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

the smiley probably isn't kid friendly, but i'd let someone else who has done it confirm that one.  will take hours to get through

Posted · Report post

It depends on if you're wanting to bring the kids back out, too. If that's the case, I'd say leave anyone under 12 or 13 at home (or anyplace other than GBP).

Posted · Report post

The winter is better than the summer.  It is a LOT of walking and if it is even a little hot, you can barely carry enough water - OH!  On that thought and this has been proven.  If one of the group runs out of water, it pretty much puts the rest of the troop in a must share predicament.  On one adventure a large group of us did TEXAS and one member was not in the best of shape and drank all of their water 1/3 of the way through.  As the march progressed the temperature began to climb and I gave up 3 bottles of water before the fellow left the trail to return with 2 other cachers on the Noble Road.  By the time we finished, it was over 11 miles and I was literally staggering.  The 3 bottles I gave up would have prevented that - and others gave up water also.  Bottom line is the group is only as strong as the weakest link, something to consider on the 4 cache loop trip too.

Posted · Report post

It depends on if you're wanting to bring the kids back out, too. If that's the case, I'd say leave anyone under 12 or 13 at home (or anyplace other than GBP).

I am not the mom to Hansel or Gretel so I am not trying to leave them anywhere!  Also - none are even close to 12 so I guess we need a sitter!  You guys don't make this sound like much fun, honestly.  So when is this death march/party getting started? 

Posted · Report post

It is a LOT of fun, solo or with a group.  If you do the Noble trail, you walk a trail.  TEXAS and Big Smile = no trails.

Posted · Report post

I am not the mom to Hansel or Gretel so I am not trying to leave them anywhere!  Also - none are even close to 12 so I guess we need a sitter!  You guys don't make this sound like much fun, honestly.  So when is this death march/party getting started? 

I remember a mother who used to cache with her kid in a stroller. 

Posted · Report post

I remember a mother who used to cache with her kid in a stroller. 

GabbyTabby and I were talking about that a few months back.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My son in law bought an off road stroller for our grandson so I could take him with me on occasion. Worked great in the woods. That is until I got him a good dose of PI and his mother cut me off from taking him anymore. Dang kill joy. He survived it well.

Edited by ClanStan

Posted · Report post

When Mrs. Z and I tried the TEXAS caches, we saw  copperheads, that we almost stepped on.  We figured there were a lot more that we didn't see, so we gave up.  Don't know if we will try the smile or not.  We just did the Texas Star near Round Rock this weekend.  We got about 83 Mystery caches in the area.

Posted · Report post

The winter is better than the summer.  It is a LOT of walking and if it is even a little hot, you can barely carry enough water - OH!  On that thought and this has been proven.  If one of the group runs out of water, it pretty much puts the rest of the troop in a must share predicament.  On one adventure a large group of us did TEXAS and one member was not in the best of shape and drank all of their water 1/3 of the way through.  As the march progressed the temperature began to climb and I gave up 3 bottles of water before the fellow left the trail to return with 2 other cachers on the Noble Road.  By the time we finished, it was over 11 miles and I was literally staggering.  The 3 bottles I gave up would have prevented that - and others gave up water also.  Bottom line is the group is only as strong as the weakest link, something to consider on the 4 cache loop trip too.

Sad part it was in December

Posted · Report post

I'd be happy to help with the cache placement.  This part of the park is not bad at all, especially in the winter.  There are a few trails, lots of open, high grass fields, and some undergrowth in the woods. It's my favorite part of the park, and I spend a lot of time there.  I was planning on adding some puzzles to the area but I'll hold off until this gets decided.  I think a redo would be fun!

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

A star would be cool in the area.  I understand how the *I have not done the SMILE people feel* because I still have not done *TEXAS*, which I would love to do.  If TEXAS was taken down, i would be sad.  :disappoint:

I guess while the SMILE people are thinking of grouping up, would anyone be interested in hitting TEXAS series in GBP?

Posted · Report post

Just talking.  I see we seriously underestimated how many of us haven't done the big smile.

Posted · Report post

If you were attempted TEXAS, I would have met ya, TG!!

Posted · Report post

My office will be moving to the I-10 and Hwy 6 area by the end of the year so I'm going to have new hunting grounds.  I was hoping to hit some of the GBP caches on my half-day Fridays but I gather that the Smile and Texas are best done in one shot each.  I haven't done either so I'd be up for a group expedition if one is organized.

Posted · Report post

Even though I placed the "S" of the TEXAS, I took 3 other trips to get the rest of it done.

My office will be moving to the I-10 and Hwy 6 area by the end of the year so I'm going to have new hunting grounds.  I was hoping to hit some of the GBP caches on my half-day Fridays but I gather that the Smile and Texas are best done in one shot each.  I haven't done either so I'd be up for a group expedition if one is organized.

FamilieRyan likes this