Archiving One Huge Smile to redesign

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Kirbydox and I were talking about the possibility of getting the CO's to archive this series in conjunction with the placement of a new piece of art.  It could be set up to have the maximum number of caches under an HGS sockpuppet account so everyone can find them and our HGS members maintain them.  Of course, I will do my share to furnish Berty tubes and help maintain them.  Thoughts? 

Posted · Report post

how soon are you talking about archiving?  I've wanted to do this series one my trips out to visit my family and the weather is getting nice to hike it.

although, new geoart is always nice to have.

Posted · Report post

:o   was my reaction at the suggestion of re-doing CLAPS.  But now, I'm glad I did.  A nice changeup with differnet placements, styles, and types.  The smile is a great hike though different areas and was thoroughly enjoyable.  The right time of year it's really pretty, too.  I don't know what's in store, but a refresher may really be great, whether new art or even just a new smiley.

So, is it that?  Just something new?  Or is this a ploy for new caches because Kirbydox not have enough other local caches to find now?  :2funny:    That may be an entirely different problem.

Posted · Report post

Well, many of the HGS has already di it.  Heck, I've done it 3 times.  The planning, redesign, logistics, etc, could make the placement of the new caches 2-3 months in the future and then there is the coordination of the current CO's archiving the old ones as we submit the new ones. 

I suck at laying out something of this magnitutde, but others thrive on it, so I will furnish the containers and the sweat of placing them and we can kick it around ad naseum.

Posted · Report post

I guess I better go do that series then. I've grabbed 3 or 4 of them when I was out grabbing FTF's in the reservoir, and all of the ones I grabbed needed maintenance (which I did). I haven't put the series on the map of ones to knock out because I assumed the rest would be in the same condition, but I could be wrong. Guess I could read the last few logs and see. Either way, I need to go finish the series, so if anyone wants to go do it sometime soon, let me know if you want to team up.

Posted · Report post

Just kicking around the option, that's all.  I don't own a one and the CO's might not go along with it.

Posted · Report post

@TexasWriter..I'll team up with you..

Me too, made an attempt with Mrs. D. one day and she made it R-E-A-L-L-Y clear that she wasn't going back there EVER again. (Needless to day: She hates BushWhacking).

We did two (2!) that day before it was clear I was gonna have a divorce on my hand if we continued, so I went back the day after and went after a couple by myself. I have to admit I probably picked the wrong day/season/etc. but I didn't feel quite comfortable doing them by myself.... heard all kinds of critters (big & small) scatter away when I whacked my way across the bush.

So I'd love to tag along, but won't be back in the Houston Area until December 2nd.

Posted · Report post

Sounds like a good idea to me.  One piece of advice.  Set a date and stick to it.  I am redoing the entire Jones Forest into something special and have had two dates set and been asked multiple times to push it back.  Now asked again by another cacher to postpone.  I won't say any names....Cough Cachestacker Cough.....

Posted · Report post

Procrastination is the thief of time.  So many caches and so little time.  With winter coming on, let's just do a mash-up for One Big Smile or two, knock it out and knock it off.

GASTX likes this

Posted · Report post

We still have a long way to go to complete this series so I hope either we plan a mash-up soon, or that the re-design will be a good time in the future.  Some of us haven't finished all the caches in Houston, like KirbyDox has!  Slow down woman!

Posted · Report post

Great idea...lets set a definite date so its fits as many schedules

as possible....maybe even have an event nearby ...we could leave said

event and attack the smilie as a group:)

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

Dang.  We be bad geocachers, Kirbydox and me.  We started a firestorm.  :knuppel2:

Posted · Report post

Something tells me I am going to to the Big Smile a 4th time.

Posted · Report post

Oh no... i thought i had more time!

I've been waiting for the right moment for years now ;-)

That's exactly what I was tellilng Brent....

georeyna likes this

Posted · Report post

Replace the smiley with "HGCS"

Posted · Report post

Not Enough Room. 

Posted · Report post

Not Enough Room. 

What if you use lower case?  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

Not Enough Room. 

What if you use lower case?  :2funny:

What about in Morse Code?

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

Was going to say braille but morse code would do as well

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dang.  We be bad geocachers, Kirbydox and me.  We started a firestorm.  :knuppel2:

Wow. Who thought a casual conversation would stir up things so much.  :tinfoil:  I will repeat what Bert said, "Just kicking around the option, that's all.  I don't own a one and the CO's might not go along with it."  

I thought it would be a good idea because frankly some of the containers have been out there for more than 4 years and probably need to be redone anyway. (This was also the case on the CLAPS series and while Cachestacker was initially resistant to the idea, he eventually agreed and it has been a great refresher for the area and an easy way to make sure all the containers are new and ready for finders.)  

I think the Huge Smile is a great series. I love George Bush Park and I love to find caches there. It doesn't matter to me if the series is refreshed and maintained or if something new is put in it's place. I DO think everyone should experience caching in GBP. It can be a lot of fun, especially if you go in a mash-up with a bunch of other cachers.  O0 

Edited by Kirbydox
green-eyed and Baytown Bert like this