CLAPS Holiday Lights Nighttime Paddle Event & CITO

161 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have a christmas tree on my yak:) Even have Rudolph with a bright almost red nose on the bow!

Posted · Report post

After last night's trip to the ER, I'm going to have to move to a "Beach Support" role tonight. I will bring some goodies down and help in any ways that I can with loading, unloading, heckling, etc. I have several 9-ft strands of brand new EL lights that operate on AA batteries if anyone needs some. I'm very bummed about not being able to paddle, but it is what it is.

Posted · Report post

Will be on my way in a short while, yak ready and loaded in the truck. My "muggle" brother Gary will be driving and has been volunteered aka forced to be beach support,,,he just doesnt know it yet :wwf:

Posted · Report post

After last night's trip to the ER, I'm going to have to move to a "Beach Support" role tonight. I will bring some goodies down and help in any ways that I can with loading, unloading, heckling, etc. I have several 9-ft strands of brand new EL lights that operate on AA batteries if anyone needs some. I'm very bummed about not being able to paddle, but it is what it is.

Quick, someone get a cache published out there! No way TW would let a little thing like disgruntled eyeball syndrome keep him from getting the FTF.  :laugh:

But seriously, i hope your accident wasn't too serious and that you're feeling better now.

Posted · Report post

Quick, someone get a cache published out there! No way TW would let a little thing like disgruntled eyeball syndrome keep him from getting the FTF. :laugh:

But seriously, i hope your accident wasn't too serious and that you're feeling better now.

I'm bringing my floaties in case anything like that happens. :-)

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

Quick, someone get a cache published out there! No way TW would let a little thing like disgruntled eyeball syndrome keep him from getting the FTF. :laugh:

Bring your little yak --- just in case you want to paddle out to sign the log for the event.  Just sayin'.  You may change your mind.

Posted · Report post

Quick, someone get a cache published out there! No way TW would let a little thing like disgruntled eyeball syndrome keep him from getting the FTF. :laugh:But seriously, i hope your accident wasn't too serious and that you're feeling better now.

Bring your little yak --- just in case you want to paddle out to sign the log for the event.  Just sayin'.  You may change your mind.

Would that be the red 12 foot yak? :)

Posted · Report post

Well, heck, I just went out and picked up hot chocolate, cups, spoons, cookies, and a few other things, and pulled out the camping stove so i could provide proper beach support. I guess if I won't get to sign the log I'll sit in the backyard and sip and munch....

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

Well, heck, I just went out and picked up hot chocolate, cups, spoons, cookies, and a few other things, and pulled out the camping stove so i could provide proper beach support. I guess if I won't get to sign the log I'll sit in the backyard and sip and munch....

pick up some trash and you've go the CITO smiley.

ohl hockey guy likes this

Posted · Report post

So sorry I missed these events.  I was really looking forward to it, but didn't land until 3:00 pm and just couldn't make it happen.   I must again say "next year" and am looking forward to seeing all the pictures and videos.

Posted · Report post

A good time was had by all!  Well, maybe all but wademercer and company, who ended up renting a leaky kayak.  Once we got out of the wind on Big Island Slough, it was fairly pleasant.  I dressed in layers and ended up wishing I didn't have one or two of them.  The main topic of conversation at the event was how Baytown Bert talks a good game, but is basically a wimp when it comes to being outdoorsy...

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

I got fouled up on a bottle of rum.  Curse you Aaron Barbee!  (Shaking hook at sky)  :laugh:

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

A good time was had by all!  Well, maybe all but wademercer and company, who ended up renting a leaky kayak.  Once we got out of the wind on Big Island Slough, it was fairly pleasant.  I dressed in layers and ended up wishing I didn't have one or two of them.  The main topic of conversation at the event was how Baytown Bert talks a good game, but is basically a wimp when it comes to being outdoorsy...

Even the Cap'n showed his face.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cap'n Stinkin' Olaf! 

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

It was a blast! So glad to see Cache Control and Mud Frog make the trip from Beaumont and wademercer and TheRoamingItinerant dashing down from Dallas. Wade and Adam had yak problems with the rental (a large crack in the bottom) and almost sank and then hauled a$$ back to Bay Area Park to get new yaks with TheBicycler following to help if needed. Then they all PADDLED BACK to Big Island Slough to meet up with us again. What troopers. The lights on all the yaks were simply amazing. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with next year! 

cachestacker and KeyResults like this

Posted · Report post

It was a blast.  I was really surprised how many people we had on the water last night given the tide, wind, and temps.  Lights were amazing, and hoping to step up my game significantly next year.  Nice that the moon made an appearance after I got home, too.  Clouds disappeared and moon was out lighting up the sky.  Oh, well.  We had fun without it.  Heftydude made it home without freezing too.  He had a slip at the end and ended up soaked.  So between our NTX folks and Heftydude, there were some adventures on the water!

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Good thing the event was Saturday and not Sunday.  Here was the boat launch at 5:15 p.m. this evening.  Tide was a little bit lower.

e38a903a-b85a-4d92-83c6-e729fc040b1a.jpg

JuleeD likes this

Posted · Report post

Good thing the event was Saturday and not Sunday.  Here was the boat launch at 5:15 p.m. this evening.  Tide was a little bit lower.

e38a903a-b85a-4d92-83c6-e729fc040b1a.jpg

WOW! With the north wind and all, i was kinda thinking last night's tide was about as low as it would go.

We had a great time, Thanks again Kirbydox and Cachestacker!

Heck, I'm already shopping for more lights,, gotta try and keep up with those Griswalds ya know. ;D

Cache Control and JuleeD like this

Posted · Report post

Wish we could have made it farther but there was no way Jacob and I could man-handle that canoe up to calm waters. Glad everyone had fun.

Posted · Report post

Note to self. Before driving from beaumont to do more Claps check the tide report.

Posted · Report post

This is highly unusual.  The tide was exceptionally low during the event.  This is nuts.  Only seen it lower in last year when we had the constant, strong north wind blowing all the time.