CLAPS Holiday Lights Nighttime Paddle Event & CITO

161 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm just going to take the battery out of the Motley Cruiser (Caddy) for the evening.  It should fit behind the seat nicely and help to lower my center of gravity.

Posted · Report post

Sweet.  Options.  So, for those of us who plan to rent and jsut show up, what is a realistic and easy lighting solution?  Is a coleman lantern in the bow enough?

Posted (edited) · Report post

From what I have seen at a minimum you have to have a white lantern or light so as to avoid a collision from another craft.  This came from TXPW website.

Paddling at night: Remember that you must carry one bright white light that can be exhibited in time to prevent a collision. It is recommended that you carry a lantern, flashlight, or other attached white light that will be visible from 360 degrees. Regulations state that canoes, kayaks, and all other manually driven vessels shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, and shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock.

Edited by Cache Control

Posted · Report post

Academy sells some very big and bright glow sticks also.They are better than the little ones I saw some folks used last year.  I think I used 2 packs of 3 and my yak was well lit.

Posted · Report post

If your yak has lights all over it (as for our night time paddle event), I would think that it would qualify as meeting regulations.

Posted · Report post

Where was everyone last night? I drove all the way over expecting to meet up with a bunch of paddlers but there was nobody at the boatramp. Oh well, i was there already so i launched the yak, turned on the Christmas lights, and had a great time grabbing a few caches.

Posted · Report post

Where was everyone last night? I drove all the way over expecting to meet up with a bunch of paddlers but there was nobody at the boatramp. Oh well, i was there already so i launched the yak, turned on the Christmas lights, and had a great time grabbing a few caches.

The event is next weekend, Glenn.

Posted · Report post

Where was everyone last night? I drove all the way over expecting to meet up with a bunch of paddlers but there was nobody at the boatramp. Oh well, i was there already so i launched the yak, turned on the Christmas lights, and had a great time grabbing a few caches.

The event is next weekend, Glenn.

I know, was just messin around here. I'm glad it wasn't last last Saturday cause it was definitely a bit cool wiith those temps in the 40s.

Which begs the question, will the event still go on if it gets extra cold? If so, what tool do ya'll recommend for breaking through the ice? :tinfoil:

Posted · Report post

The event goes on.  We recommend a thermos of hot chocolate or coffee.  And those warming pads you squeeze and shake and they heat up.  Some blankets or towels you don't mind getting wet/stained to wrap around you and keep the wind off.  And bring a huge sense of adventure.

But OHL Hockey Guy said promised the weather was going to be great.  So I'm just not worried.

Posted · Report post

The event goes on.  We recommend a thermos of hot chocolate or coffee.  And those warming pads you squeeze and shake and they heat up.  Some blankets or towels you don't mind getting wet/stained to wrap around you and keep the wind off.  And bring a huge sense of adventure.

But OHL Hockey Guy said promised the weather was going to be great.  So I'm just not worried.

I'd recommend a bucket of hot chocolate or coffee to sit in.The mini marshmallows are messy and  stick to everything

green-eyed and Dhaulaghiri like this

Posted · Report post

That's right... but remember that great is all relative.

Posted · Report post

That's right... but remember that great is all relative.

The eldest Normette thinks that the cold weather we just had was great. :angel:

Posted · Report post

Not worried cause I have a wetsuit, goretex thermals and

some special anti-freeze:)

Posted · Report post

Okay.  I'm going to be the honest one here.  If its too cold for me, I'll show up for the event and push all you cold weather lovers off.  BBQBob2 and I will stand around and drink warm rum and eat donuts.

2katz, Dhaulaghiri and GASTX like this

Posted · Report post

Bring the rum and donuts ON the water and share them.  Just sayin'.

Posted · Report post

Surely there will be some new caches out there for us all to FTF together.... :)

Posted · Report post

And it looks as if I'm going to be the warmest of all of you because I now have a Troop Orientation dinner (cooked by the troop... oh yummy...) that night after I haul around the boys of various ages and heights doing Special Tools Required as part of the crossover activities after lunch.  IF - and that 's a big IF - we get a small enough break between it all, powerdog02 and I will come by and say hello to everyone either at the CITO or launch.  No time given yet for our dinner, but orientation and schedule planning for the year is required for Scout and parents and not nearly as fun as I'd rather be having with you guys and lights.  I'm going to be happy when I have a more set schedule to plan fun things and all the Arrow of Light/Crossover stuff is finished.

Posted · Report post

Clearly, this was planned before that was.  I'd let them know that and reschedule.

Posted · Report post

Clearly, this was planned before that was.  I'd let them know that and reschedule.

clearly... We know that, but do they care?  Nope.  I like that I *still* don't have any idea what time this pre-teen/teen cooked dinner will be.  And knowing the leaders like I do, it'll be Friday night before they tell us the time.  We have a location, so that's something.

Posted · Report post

Come over to the park for moonlight rum and donuts. Bert has this whole Chistmas spirit thing figured out

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

Bert will be  pushing us of after he partakes in some rum.   How many turtles will be at the launch spot?

Posted · Report post

Surely there will be some new caches out there for us all to FTF together.... :)

Don't call me Shirley. ;)

green-eyed likes this