CLAPS Holiday Lights Nighttime Paddle Event & CITO

161 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Got the first 50 feet of EL wire yesterday.

Magenta..lime green and orange.

Will attach to my yak and post a pic soon ss I figure

out how to post pic s.....Help:)

TravelingGeek likes this

Posted · Report post

while I like his sombrero, my hat will still be way cooler.

Posted (edited) · Report post

ce223dc5-1d5e-4d21-b0d9-7a78af30b77e.jpg8dff7a3d-094b-4d1a-8438-f7eaf0e8f2cb.jpg

This is the best I can do with my cheap camera...The leds and strobes havent been added yet as you can tell.

This EL wire is bright! Vehicles were stopping to look when I turned the switches on :)

Edited by Mustard Devil
KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

So -- KR and 2Katz came to the Danish events, but didn't paddle.  Some kind of 'excuse' along the lines of:  "we didn't want to spoiler our lighting array for upcoming holiday lights spectacle".  So - I think they just upped the expectations bar -- for us :knuppel2: and for themselves.  :dig:

In any event, this is shaping to up be a FUN event.  I hope you are making plans to be ON the water.  Even if you have not kayaked before.  Just make it happen. 

Even my son is wanting to go to the night event after this last paddle.  He never wants to go.  So now he'll have to fight Syd for the seat.  Maybe I can use this to get some chores done!

Posted · Report post

I'm assuming Pinky's does night time rentals? And does he have models with power outlets?

Posted · Report post

He does do night rentals.  Well, he always has....  I'd reserve now.  From what I understand, he may be sold out soon, given the coolness of this event.

But he does not rent yaks with power outlets.  There is a plug by the softball field in Bay Area Park.  I'll bring a multi-outlet plug in case anyone else is in the same situation.  You'll all need to supply your own extension cords, though.

Posted · Report post

Just bought a supernova deluxe lighting kit for my yak, its waterproof so this may be going just below the waterline (Blue led lights). Just finished attaching

12 feet of EL wire to my paddle....Might even wire my PFD. Bring sunglasses cause its gonna be bright:)

KeyResults and cachestacker like this

Posted · Report post

The BFF's have been acquiring the necessary permits and equipment...all systems are a go. ;) I'm thinking Peppermint Schnapps and Hot Chocolate already.

Are we gonna be caroling?

Posted · Report post

I love to sing, but I'm terrible with the verses. I'm am that guy you see on tv who sings like one sentence of every song ever, and then just makes stuff up, or hum-fakes and lip-sync's from there. I can honestly say I've thrashed every great song I ever tried to sing along with.

But, I keep doing it anyway :D

Posted · Report post

I'll be singing all the holiday classics --  Jingle Hells Bells, The Restroom Door Said "Gentlemen", Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear...

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

I'm a little concerned about what they might have done to Larry in the hospital....just sayin'...

Posted · Report post

I'll be singing all the holiday classics --  Jingle Hells Bells, The Restroom Door Said "Gentlemen", Walkin' Round in Women's Underwear...

I think Larry got the wrong meds :)

Just installed my supernova yak lights. Strange problem...wired direct to the battery they work great...when I add the fuse and switch the wire heats up and melts. WTF?

http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/large/73595c16-ce5b-4004-ae9c-701042532182.jpg

http://imgcdn.geocaching.com/cache/large/10ed1aa3-4811-4e9b-adfb-b2ea79b18eb1.jpg

Edited by Mustard Devil
cachestacker likes this

Posted · Report post

Sounds like a resistance is creating a voltage drop across switch or fuse. Remember, the fuse goes in series on the negative side only nearest battery, not across the positive and negative which creates a dead short and melting things

Posted · Report post

Are you using the holiday to get  your yaks and canoes ready?

Have you posted a will-attend?

Renters - have you confirmed with Pinky's?

Posted · Report post

I just posted this note to the cache page:

Bad news - I finally *called* to confirm my Pinky's rental. Pinky's is under new management and will not rent for night time paddles. Apparently the Coast Guard requires certain night time lighting and they do not equip their 'yaks with said light and therefore will not rent for a night time paddle. They really threw Vernon under the bus on this issue the further I pressed it with lines like "well, you used to rent to me for an evening paddle". Also, this really confirms that their email address is jsut plain bogus, because I put all the details in the email and even floowed up with an email and I never got any response. 

So, who wants to join me in opening Heftydude's Bay Area 'Yak Rental? Pinky's needs some competition now. We can just call it Hefty's instead of Pinky's.

Anyway, Apparently I might just be attending, and not paddling. Bummer.

Posted · Report post

Also, apparently I have a bad phone number for you now, amigo.

OK -- The Kayak Shack will do what Pinky's wont.

Woohoo.  Competition.

The Kayak Shack

Ask for Robby.  281-744-2197.

Reserve your yak.  He'll deliver / meet you at Bay Area Park.  He has about 16 yaks.  Tell him you're with the geocaching group and if enough rent he may discount it. 

$45. CASH.  He has 15-16 yaks, but only has 2 tandems, and they rent the same price. 

http://texassailboat.com/

They also have paddleboards if any of you are nuts enough...

Edited by cachestacker

Posted · Report post

Lookie there.  Multiple options now, folks.  Now EVERYONE can come!  And you REALLY want to be out on the water this year.  Gonna be a blast.

If you're renting, post here if you're coming and who you rented from.

Posted · Report post

In the mail today...30 MORE feet of EL wire and two 12 volt 7.5 amp rechargable batteries:) My yak is gonna glow:)