2013 Armand Bayou Fall CITO - Danish Style

44 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Not the best photos - but here's what we did.  I cut out from the last 3 caches along the way back due to timing -- having to get Alex to a Scout meeting.  We did ~5.1 miles.  I presume the rest of the group did 5.3 - 5.5.  But this was my first trial of Everytrail.  Pretty cool toy.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2400263

2katz likes this

Posted · Report post

looks cool!  i'll have to check that out.  i'm even barely noticeable in the first photo as send-off crew.  wish I could have paddled with you guys, but I had to duck into town.

Posted · Report post

Wow, that is a great app, Kevin, and it looks your group had a great time. We went north and hopefully Bert and Emily took some cool pics. We got everything north of the bridges except for 1 DNF and 1 could-not-reach because of about 300 ft of water hyacinth. A great day, can Camilla come back to play next year?

ohl hockey guy likes this

Posted · Report post

Good job, guys.  The hyacinth is exceptionally heavy this year.  Can't wait for a cold snap to kill it and thin it out.

Posted · Report post

#1 and #2 are a short paddle from Spring Gulley as a put-in.  ;)

Posted · Report post

And the grass on the median was just cut from waist high to ankle high

Posted (edited) · Report post

Read the logs for the true story of our "Apocalypse Now" trip up the bayou. And the first pictures of Bert's third ball before the Enquirer gets them for their upcoming TMI issue

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4AR0A_03-n-claps-clear-lake-area-paddle-series?guid=65c23520-3394-4bff-acf6-118bd2b409b0

post-608-0-86294200-1384177066_thumb.jpg

Edited by bbqbob2
Baytown Bert likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

It was great to see everybody Danish Style. It was weird not launching yaks w the group, but 2katz and I were on a different geocaching quest yesterday trying to break old record of cache types in a day. And, we didn't want to spoiler our lighting array for upcoming holiday lights spectacle ;) Everybody stay dry? Right side up?

Edited by KeyResults
Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

powerdog02 and keyresults talk goose with the land-based CITO

3bf76d98-25ae-4f07-a5df-76f49536fea5.jpg

Posted · Report post

It was clear, as we paddled past you all to the first stage of the Whereigo, that the geese did not like KR.  I don't know what he did to piss them off (previous life, perhaps, or just a prior kayaking trip), but it was clear he did.  Seemed they had an agenda as they all swam out of the water to come get him. They were certainly vocal about it.

Look at them looking at him.  This scene looks like diplomacy talks / negotiations...  The rest are out of shot in full-on attack mode.

Posted · Report post

Always lookin for a handout those Geese! When I told em NO! Then they started negotiating for Powerdog02... "How much for the boy?" They're asking, "how much for red head boy?"

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

Have to be honest, I almost hurt myself laughing at the "treasures" Kevin found in Donna's bag o goodies at the brkfst. Pic to surface of Bert's reaction too. Haven't laughed to tears in a while.

Posted · Report post

Is he still with us?

he is.  although, he was irritated by our many DNFs in town when he had much more fun along the water at the events.  and he didn't get to see the geograndparents like we were supposed to either because they didn't meet us.  but I did take him for what he deemed "the best burger ever" while grabbing one of dhaulagari's caches and he got mustache cookie cutters.

Posted · Report post

but I did take him for what he deemed "the best burger ever" while grabbing one of dhaulagari's caches and blah blah blah.

And you seemed to leave out the most important part of that story.  WHERE?

Posted · Report post

Mr. Sizzles food truck.  You have to follow them to find them, although I just happened to come across them yesterday.  Used to come out to my office, but they don't anymore.  Which is good, otherwise I'd be ordering "United We Sizzle" toooooo often and need some stents put in myself.  Bacon and cheese stuffed burger, lettuce, tomato, mustard, fried egg.  Yum.  Powerdog02 had a plain cheeseburger and I made him eat the lettuce, but according to the chef-in-training, it was seasoned perfectly, you could tell they formed the patty there (as opposed to restaurants with preformed store patties), it had the right amount of crispiness on the outside and was juicy.

cachestacker likes this

Posted · Report post

It was clear, as we paddled past you all to the first stage of the Whereigo, that the geese did not like KR.  I don't know what he did to piss them off (previous life, perhaps, or just a prior kayaking trip), but it was clear he did.  Seemed they had an agenda as they all swam out of the water to come get him. They were certainly vocal about it.

Look at them looking at him.  This scene looks like diplomacy talks / negotiations...  The rest are out of shot in full-on attack mode.

And they seem to be on a dangerous trajectory height-wise...lol

Posted · Report post

They can mean business, too, when they want.  When Syd was little, she ran out of bread.  One came after her and bit her on the butt so hard it left a black and blue beak mark for a week on her butt.  She keeps her distance from those geese now.

Good point TW.  Didn't even think about that.  That could be bad.

Posted · Report post

They can mean business, too, when they want.  When Syd was little, she ran out of bread.  One came after her and bit her on the butt so hard it left a black and blue beak mark for a week on her butt.  She keeps her distance from those geese now.

Good point TW.  Didn't even think about that.  That could be bad.

A muskogee duck came up and bit my son on the thigh when he was not quite 2 years old. He was a scrawny kid (still is) and not much meat on his bones, but I'll never forget the look of that little bit of thigh meat in that duck's mouth, and he was going for more. My son was terrified of fowl of any kind for quite awhile. He likes to eat duck now, though....