2013 Armand Bayou Fall CITO - Danish Style

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

2013 Armand Bayou Fall CITO
Sunday, November 10, 2013
Boat launching promptly at 8:45 a.m.

http://coord.info/GC4QJRE

Come make a new friend from Copenhagen, Denmark!  camillabacher will be joining us for a paddle.  There will also be a pre-event at the boat launch starting at ~8:00 a.m. hosted by our Danish friend.  We're launching a little earlier than normal to help accommodate her schedule.

This CITO Event is focused on the Northern part of Mud Lake (a/k/a the top half of South CLAPS). We will launch AND pull out at Bay Area Park. No shuttling required!  The COs also guarantee no DNFs at this event on the event route!  (You're welcome.)

See the CLAPS resource guide here:  http://hgcs.org/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=452

CLAPS V2 bookmark can be found on all CLAPS cache pages.  Here's a link to #1:  http://coord.info/GC4AR08

Post any questions, etc. here.  Remember, this is CLAPS V2, and for most of you that's a whole lot of new smiley opportunities!  And with the new containers, location, and cache types, and a CITO and an event -- is this the start of a busy icon day for you?

This is the time to get in your paddling practice for the upcoming annual NIGHT PADDLE event.  A separate thread will be posted for the Night Paddle soon.  You do not want to miss the night paddle event!  So come paddle in the daylight now so you're ready for it! 

Edited by cachestacker

Posted · Report post

I'm attending and I'm bringing a couple sandwich boxes!

Bring all the sandwiches and boxes you wish, Bert.  Just keep them all in your yak.

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

I volunteer to teach "Turtle 101" before the Cito starts:)
Africanized Turtle 101 just in case.

Posted · Report post

Th

That's real funny...dont remember seeing you there..

Make you a deal....you go out there and then make lame jokes!

Posted · Report post

I'm attending and I'm bringing a couple sandwich boxes!

Bring all the sandwiches and boxes you wish, Bert.  Just keep them all in your yak.

What's a sandwich box and where do they come from? :D  

Dhaulaghiri and Baytown Bert like this

Posted · Report post

Th

12 years old, fell into a 4ft long hornets (non africanized mind you) nest in Nicaragua, stung 23 times, hospital for 2 days survived it fine, well except for the lame jokes and a thicker skin side effects.  :stirpot:

TexasWriter and Kirbydox like this

Posted · Report post

Th

I see this still is a 'tender' subject  :angel:

Posted · Report post

Don't forget - this Sunday the CITO starts at 8:00 a.m. with the Danish with a Dane - a DIY Breakfast Event!  http://coord.info/GC4QNTT

An event and a CITO -- no waiting!  Come have some fun and get some paddling in before the night event!

Baytown Bert and 2katz like this

Posted · Report post

So last minute question - how is this event for a first with our kids in a kayak? We have been talking about going out with Dhaulagiri but he is on sabbatical. The problem is we have 3 kids and 2 adults which is very poor kayak planning on our part.

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

So last minute question - how is this event for a first with our kids in a kayak? We have been talking about going out with Dhaulagiri but he is on sabbatical. The problem is we have 3 kids and 2 adults which is very poor kayak planning on our part.

It only takes 9 months to remedy that case of bad planning  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

You're incorrigibile Hans :)

Posted · Report post

get canoes.  adult and kid to paddle in each.  that's what PD02 and I are doing for the holiday night paddle with another cacher.

Posted · Report post

I will be at this event. If you need any help...look for the red honda crz

Posted · Report post

If you are experienced with canoe, that may be a great option. Almost every time I go out in a group w canoes though, somebody gets wet. Just sayin. Canoes can be very tippy for many until acclimated.

If kids can swim AND have well fitted life jackets then not really an issue, just be sure to have a good dry bag for wallet, keys, phone, etc. ;) 

Somebody tipping over (turtling) is almost a right of passage! Sooner or later everyone goes over, no big deal if you're prepared.

Talk to Pinky's and see what he's got for the situation.

The good thing about the CITO group is ITs a GROUP! Lots of experience, aid, and smiles to go around.

I say make it happen!

Posted · Report post

Pinky's no longer rents canoes... They do have tandem kayaks, but that still leaves one of the R's out of a kayak. 

I haven't been in a canoe since high school.  But I don't have the right shoulder strength and ability to paddle a tandem with powerdog02 just yet without going in circles and veering to the right a LOT.  My "freakishly strong left arm" tries to do all the work.  Kennethb is aware of my shoulder surgery issue, but I don't know if he's thought about my overcompensation with the left arm yet.  He's the one with access to our scout canoes.     

Posted · Report post

Re-reading I realized that previous post of mine seemed kinda negative or discouraging...

I don't mean to be discouraging at all. Please don't take it that way. Sometimes, "keepin' it real" looks rather scrooge-like.

Long tandem Yaks can easily handle two adults and a kiddo depending on the brand. Wilderness, Heritage, Malibu, among others, all are stable and suited to the task. Even stable yaks can tip over though, so really good to be prepared.

Even if you decide not to go out, it would be great to meet your clan and for you to check out all the cool yak caching stuff.

Also, Along with others, I will be happy to help you "get it together" for a safe outing checking life jacket fit and stuff like that since 2katz and I won't be yaking this time we will be able to get a pic and lend aid to those who need it getting ready to shove off!

Posted · Report post

Great to have a yak "sherpa", thanks Kenny!

On a very different note, DO NOT order the yak smoothie at Smoothie King, not their best effort.

Even worse than the "Rocks and Glass" crush they offered last week

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

I was thinking of less Rs not more Rs.  But if we need a 4th kid we will wait for our you and Cindy to figure out that 9 month thing and make us one.  I will try to figure out what we are going to do.  R1 has been caching in Russia, the UK and Paris the past few weeks and I guess I am just getting jealous for some fun.  He gets back tomorrow so we will see what he is up for.  Maybe he can watch all the kids and I can go alone! 

green-eyed and KeyResults like this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was on the bayou from 9 til 1:30 today, working my way up Horsepen Bayou. The water was warm and the sun felt good. Should be a great day tomorrow !

Edited by bbqbob2
Baytown Bert likes this