Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GC.com app on android phones

74 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I pretty much hand load all my gpx files into my thingamjigger and then run out the door with a machete.  :angel:

I just look on the map on the computer at where the hide is supposed to be and run out the door with a machete....and a Berty tube for a throwdown if I can't find it. :D

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

I pretty much hand load all my gpx files into my thingamjigger and then run out the door with a machete.  :angel:   I just look on the map on the computer at where the hide is supposed to be and run out the door with a machete....and a Berty tube for a throwdown if I can't find it. :D
That is a DNNF. Did not not find

Posted · Report post

I only use my Droid when I don't have a cache in my GPSr and have both C:geo and the paid App from GC.com on the phone. Maybe I am missing something here, but why load a PQ for the phone when the information is already there when on location? I guess if I had changed the coords on a puzzle would be one reason. Like GE said, you could post a text document to Google Drive of all the puzzle coords and access it with ease.

The only reason I occasionally keep a pq on my phone is to cover when I dont have good cell service otherwise you are correct.

I don't like how the GC apps and any app that uses Live API limit the initial return of nearby's to some ridiculously low number like 20 at a time.  That is hardly any way to plan on what to go after.  So, I download numerous PQs and dump them into Geosphere (for iPhone only), and have all of that data at my finger tips.  Geosphere limits showing you only 8000 caches at a time, but I can usually make do with that amount. :smiley6600:

Like yesterday we are driving back from my company picnic and my co-pilot (my son) is just roaming the map and has me occasionally pull over for a cache.  If he was limited to 20 at a time, we'd already be past the exits by the time that data loads.  But being prepared (we are scouts) with tons of static data, we had a nice trip home.

To each his/her own.

Posted · Report post

You can also download the PQ's directly from within GSAK straight into any database you want, dont have to wait on the email, etc. I sometimes use a temp database to download my PQ's into so I can then go clean them up (remove caches with to many DNF's, mark nano caches, weed out caches I dont look for and things you cant filter out in the PQ itself.

I generally use 4 databases: 1 for founds, 1 temp, 1 archive and my main one (default) where I store my active caches. I dont have to as it can all be done in one DB and use filters (views) to filter out stuff I am not currently chasing.

I then use an Oregon / Montana macro from the GSAK macro library which allows me to further manage the actual GPX file I load on my varying GPS's.

I've tried maintaining separate DBs, but keep coming back to merge them all together into one and using filters to see what I want (mainly because some macros won't work on multiple databases at the same time).  If one hasn't delved into Filters (and then saving them for future use), then it's time to.  It's an invaluable investment.

GE - if you don't know, you can double click on the colored numbers at the bottom of GSAK screen and only show that type (found, unfound, unavailable, yours).  It is an immediate way to filter only those.  So, you could double click on Unfound (white) and then go to GPS->Send Waypoiints.  It will only send what is currently filtered.

Don't know the particulars about clearing the data on that model, but you would want to do that first.

Posted · Report post

GE - if you don't know, you can double click on the colored numbers at the bottom of GSAK screen and only show that type (found, unfound, unavailable, yours).  It is an immediate way to filter only those.  So, you could double click on Unfound (white) and then go to GPS->Send Waypoiints.  It will only send what is currently filtered.

Don't know the particulars about clearing the data on that model, but you would want to do that first.

i was messing with the filters this weekend.  had cleared the garmin completely, ran a new PQ and database for the kirby area and loaded it up.  then it rained and i didn't go into houston.  i did load up some more of my sunday weekly PQ for the clear lake area and used the garmin some yesterday.  of course, it filled up again, but i was trying to select a few caches only and that didn't work with my upload.

if i select ones from the default database, how can i load those only to the GPS without doing a separate database?  i thought if i had selected those particular ones, then it would only send those when i did GPS->send waypoints, but it tried to load absolutely everything.

Posted · Report post

User Flags.  The column with the little man above it is actually a check box.  So you can manually click those and then use Search -> User Flags Set (F8) to show only those items.  Then load GPS from there.  Also helpful for this task is all the selections under the adjacent menu item "User Flags".

Posted · Report post

User Flags.  The column with the little man above it is actually a check box.  So you can manually click those and then use Search -> User Flags Set (F8) to show only those items.  Then load GPS from there.  Also helpful for this task is all the selections under the adjacent menu item "User Flags".

As a bonus for those of us using Geosphere, User Flags get imported as Highlighted and becomes yet another item to filter for on the road.  I use this to flag Highly Favorited caches or other caches that meet challenge criteria.  So when I hit the road, I check those first.  Not sure which Android app would support that same function.  

Posted · Report post

thanks!! i had the check boxes checked, but didn't know about setting the user flags.  i knew there was something i was missing when it loaded everything else with it.

Posted · Report post

I pretty much hand load all my gpx files into my thingamjigger and then run out the door with a machete.  :angel:

I used to do that but after a zillion typos which resulted in me searching the wrong areas I rarely do that anymore.

Posted · Report post

Just kidding.  I use PQ's and GSAK.  I do like to print out a route of caches though and that is time consuming.

Posted · Report post

Just kidding.  I use PQ's and GSAK.  I do like to print out a route of caches though and that is time consuming.
There is a route macro that will do the heavy lifting on creating a specific route.

Posted · Report post

I could really use a class in GSAK macros.  I've used the route feature in GC.com to create a PQ with success.  For local caching out to about 50 miles, I copy and paste data from each page to get the GC #, name of the cache, and the coords in the order that I think will be best.  Often times I am rerouted by my Nuvi god knows where to get there though.  It's a constant source of grief for me (Nuvi routing).  My method is time consuming, but I gather info about the cache while doing it and decide if I am going to look for it or not, even if it has DNF's, something a PQ may eliminate due to its status.

Posted · Report post

Me too!

I tried my fist macro a few days ago and didn't have much luck.

I did however, notice the HeftyDude has posted to the support forums.... per chance he has knowledge to share??  

Posted · Report post

alright, so back to part of the original topic... i'm updating the coordinates for my puzzles online at GC.com.  i thought it was supposed to "automatically" update on my phone app (although i was forced to get the stupid update which i hate) and GPS/GSAK when i update those.  i need to check GSAK/GPS still, but in my phone, it still shows the original coordinates, not the final.  not even for navigating to cache later. 

any ideas?  otherwise, i'm going in for my backup in google drive and waypoints in online lists on the phone.

Posted · Report post

ok.  i'll definitely check GSAK and my garmin later.

Posted · Report post

alright, so back to part of the original topic... i'm updating the coordinates for my puzzles online at GC.com.  i thought it was supposed to "automatically" update on my phone app (although i was forced to get the stupid update which i hate) and GPS/GSAK when i update those.  i need to check GSAK/GPS still, but in my phone, it still shows the original coordinates, not the final.  not even for navigating to cache later. 

any ideas?  otherwise, i'm going in for my backup in google drive and waypoints in online lists on the phone.

So I just ran a test.  I change the coords on GC.com to the nearest unfound puzzle to me.  I used the terrible app to then pull up that cache info and nada.  It's the origianl posted coords, not the ones I changed it to.  I refreshed data and still the old coords.

I'm on an iPhone, so at least the iPhone app sucks.  I then go to Geosphere and update the info on the same cache and bingo!  Updated coords show up on my phone.  

Moral of the story - use a better app than the official app.

I do know from GSAK experience that the PQ will pull in the new coords and GSAK will use them as Corrected Coords.  The PQ data also includes the original coords since I can revert back to original coords from GSAK.

Posted · Report post

I'm on an iPhone, so at least the iPhone app sucks.  I then go to Geosphere and update the info on the same cache and bingo!  Updated coords show up on my phone.  

Moral of the story - use a better app than the official app.

the "updated" official app for the android is awful.  I had escaped the update until they replaced my phone and now i'm irritated as heck with this version.  I guess i'll look into another app for backup as well.  because really, some days, you just don't have your GPS with you or loaded up... have to have something for the spur of the moment cache run.

Posted · Report post

When I was on my 30 day experiment with Android, I favored CacheSense.  I hated c:Geo as I just couldn't think that way.  But as always YMMV or TEHO.  

Anyway I can transfer ownership of all those android apps?  I'd be more than happy to give you mine.

Posted · Report post

I can tell you that the GC.com app for the Windows phone, although being a far superior app to GC.com's app for the iPhone, does the same thing GC.com's app for the iPhone....it doesn't display the corrected cords. However, I don't use my Windows phone app for caching....ever. I use it for road navigating, reading logs when necessary, and logging FTF's in the field. I have a Garmin 62S and a Garmin Montana, and I always have at least one of them in my vehicle, so I use those for caching because the coords accuracy is typically better and more finely tuned at GZ (I know that's varying/debatable depending on the phone GPSr technology and the app being used....but, on average and in general IMHO and experience). If you have a puzzle loaded in GSAK already and correct the coordinates on the GC.com site, simply refreshing the cache in GSAK will pull the corrected coords into GSAK, and when that cache is loaded on a GPSr, the corrected coords are the ones that show up on the GPSr (which is pretty much what Kevin was saying about PQ's....I just don't use PQ's because I prefer to manage things in other ways).

Posted · Report post

I use c:geo on my android and it seems pretty straightforward to me once you learn the interface.  Corrected coordinates show up as a waypoint on the cache page automatically. Anytime that GC updates the API and causes problems, the developers are usually on top of it before I know there was ever an issue.

As far as I know, there is no way to transfer apps from one user to another.  That would be great though.

Posted · Report post

As far as I know, there is no way to transfer apps from one user to another. That would be great though.
Which is why I'm pretty sure it's not allowed.