Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GC.com app on android phones

74 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I may be wrong, but I have GSAK set up to erase whatever is on my GPSr when it reloads the D-base to it. This way, I only get whatever is in the new D-base.

Posted · Report post

when i've run the PQs on GC.com, i click those options as well.  that's part of why i can't figure out why they keep coming back on my 60c when i load info to it.

So, after you load a new PQ into GSAK are the previously found caches listed in GSAK?  If they aren't listed and that's your only database, then the problem has to be with the GPSr.   If they're listed in the GSAK database then something has to be wrong with the PQ.

they show up in yellow - as found - on GSAK.  i'll run a new PQ this evening or tomorrow for a different side of town and see if i can get it to work right. 

Posted · Report post

I may be wrong, but I have GSAK set up to erase whatever is on my GPSr when it reloads the D-base to it. This way, I only get whatever is in the new D-base.

i'm at the office, so i can't look at mine right now.... but how do you do that?  i don't remember that being an option.  could be that i haven't looked under that section yet.  there's a lot i haven't done with GSAK  yet.

Posted · Report post

I put the solved puzzles into my 60Cx as different icons - zoos, parks, buildings, restaurants, anything relevant to the puzzle.

Before I load a GSAK update to the gps I delete all geocaches only, which leaves all the other icons/puzzles in place.

Move the GSAK cache update over to the gps and you are good to go.

That said, I'm using the Groundspeak iPhone app more and more to replace the need for PQs and GSAK.

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

That said, I'm using the Groundspeak iPhone app more and more to replace the need for PQs and GSAK.

i'm still pretty partial to my app on my phone.  i have descriptions, logs, satellite map and all... some days, my phone GPS is more accurate than the garmin.  but i am starting to use the garmin more when i've planned accordingly and make sure the area i'm going for is actually loaded in the garmin. 

Posted · Report post

Are you filtering out your found caches in GSAK beore uploading your PQ?  If not, everything in the DB is getting uploaded.

Also, have you just gone in via the Explore route and looked at the files under the varoius Garmin folders on the device?  Before I upload my PQ, I go delete everything I don't need.  I normally keep PQ on mine for solved STS puzzles and CLAPS caches for maintenance convenience.  Then my normal PQ.  But sometimes when new caches come out I'll one-off download to the GPS from gc.com.  So while a new PQ may not have that cache if I don't delete the one-off download it will still be there filling up space and show as found on my GPS unless I clear it.

I also wipe unneeded waypoints, tracks, etc.

Posted · Report post

Are you filtering out your found caches in GSAK beore uploading your PQ?  If not, everything in the DB is getting uploaded.

Also, have you just gone in via the Explore route and looked at the files under the varoius Garmin folders on the device?  Before I upload my PQ, I go delete everything I don't need.  I normally keep PQ on mine for solved STS puzzles and CLAPS caches for maintenance convenience.  Then my normal PQ.  But sometimes when new caches come out I'll one-off download to the GPS from gc.com.  So while a new PQ may not have that cache if I don't delete the one-off download it will still be there filling up space and show as found on my GPS unless I clear it.

I also wipe unneeded waypoints, tracks, etc.

i think it's filtering out my found caches in GSAK first.  it's not loading my finds or my owned caches on the 60c, except the waypoints under a different folder.

guess i'm going to delete everything completely and start fresh this weekend.

Posted · Report post

On the Garmon Oregon 650, I am going to load everything out to about 60 miles. LOL

Posted · Report post

You can't do that with the 60C unit.  You have to delete them manually using the unit itself.

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

You can't do that with the 60C unit.  You have to delete them manually using the unit itself.

Dang it man... That sounds almost analog!

Posted · Report post

Sounds like a GSAK event is called for. It is a great tool.

Posted · Report post

when i've run the PQs on GC.com, i click those options as well.  that's part of why i can't figure out why they keep coming back on my 60c when i load info to it.

If they're listed in the GSAK database then something has to be wrong with the PQ.

they show up in yellow - as found - on GSAK.  i'll run a new PQ this evening or tomorrow for a different side of town and see if i can get it to work right. 

Found caches are marked with yellow by GSAK.  The fact that you're getting found caches after you have deleted them means something's wrong with the PQ.

I will post a procedure that lets you delete the found caches, but this is just dealing with the symptom not the cause.

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

thanks thot!!  i appreciate your help! 

i'm usually very good with software.  gadgets...sometimes, depending on what the toy is. 

Posted · Report post

On the Garmon Oregon 650, I am going to load everything out to about 60 miles. LOL

So that's what 25 - 30 caches? You could do that few with a map and compass!

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Click the Search Menu (beside the File Menu near the top of GSAK) then do this:

Search.png

The yellow marked caches and only the yellow marked cache should be listed.

Now, Right Click on the main GSAK screen.  You will get a popup list.  Choose "Delete Waypoint..."  Finally do this:

DeleteWaypoints.png

All of the yellow marked (found) caches should be gone. 

If you decide to use this method rather than solve the real problem, let me know and I can simplify it somewhat.

Edited by Thot

Posted · Report post

i'm going to clear out the garmin, run a new PQ and load it in.  hopefully, the new PQ will work the way i mark it and there won't be any more problems.  but i'll try your method above if i need to until i figure out what else to mess with should everything still load incorrectly.

Posted · Report post

Sounds like a GSAK event is called for. It is a great tool.

This is a good idea.  I'd like to see how others are using it.  I just delete all waypoints and replace my database with new data every time I want to load into my GPSr.  I'm sure I could be doing this a better way.

Posted · Report post

Sounds like a GSAK event is called for. It is a great tool.   This is a good idea.  I'd like to see how others are using it.  I just delete all waypoints and replace my database with new data every time I want to load into my GPSr.  I'm sure I could be doing this a better way.
No need to do that. You can use the refresh function to update existing caches in GSAK then export an updated gpx file for your gps. You can get new caches you may not have with an update pq or use the get geocache function in GSAK

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just delete all waypoints and replace my database with new data every time I want to load into my GPSr.  I'm sure I could be doing this a better way.

I like lots of logs in case I can't find it and there might be a clue in the logs.  So, I never delete my database.  I add the latest PQ to it and immediately run this macro with Caches not updated in the last 7 days checked  If you haven't included your found caches in your PQ they will not be in the latest PQ and thus will be removed and so will any caches that have been archived since the last time you ran the PQ.  If your finds are included in the PQ like, green-eyed's case, you can check the Found Caches box and it will remove them.  I do not check the Backup  database before deleting box because I've never had it go wrong, but you may feel different.

This requires you do macros, but if you download and install one and use it you will see how easy using macros is.  Writing them is an entirely different and more complicated thing but using them is easy. 

Edited by Thot

Posted · Report post

i have the new PQ ran and waiting in my email.  if i've got a chance after tonight's ABC event, i'll clear out the garmin, load the PQ into GSAK and see how it goes from there. 

before i do that, quick question to the more experience GSAK people:  should i load this new PQ straight into my default database like i usually do, or start a new database?  i want to make sure i get just this PQ first and not all the caches around me that i've currently got on the garmin.

Posted · Report post

Why not start a new database just for this PQ.  You can always delete it.  And you can always download the PQ from gc.com into any other database at any time (for 6 or 7 days or something).  So no harm in doing that.  Eliminates export errors that way for you.

Posted · Report post

Why not start a new database just for this PQ.  You can always delete it.  And you can always download the PQ from gc.com into any other database at any time (for 6 or 7 days or something).  So no harm in doing that.  Eliminates export errors that way for you.

sounds good to me.  that's what i was wondering if i should try.  should help me figure out what's going on with the garmin that way.

Posted · Report post

You can also download the PQ's directly from within GSAK straight into any database you want, dont have to wait on the email, etc. I sometimes use a temp database to download my PQ's into so I can then go clean them up (remove caches with to many DNF's, mark nano caches, weed out caches I dont look for and things you cant filter out in the PQ itself.

I generally use 4 databases: 1 for founds, 1 temp, 1 archive and my main one (default) where I store my active caches. I dont have to as it can all be done in one DB and use filters (views) to filter out stuff I am not currently chasing.

I then use an Oregon / Montana macro from the GSAK macro library which allows me to further manage the actual GPX file I load on my varying GPS's.

Posted · Report post

I pretty much hand load all my gpx files into my thingamjigger and then run out the door with a machete.  :angel:

TexasWriter and GASTX like this