Texas Challenge 2014 - What can we improve on?

45 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey guys:

I am initiating a roll call to get together a list for the private message board on here regarding the Texas Challenge.  If you think  you want to be involved in the Texas Challenge in 2014 for SETX in ANY capacity, be it hunters, transport, puzzle solving, brains, brawn, backup etc, let me know so we can make sure you have access to the private forum.  I would like to initiate a conversation over in the private forums on the previous years Challenges, and see how we can improve this next year so that we can come back and kick some butt!  The first step is to get everyone gathered in one online spot so we can talk about it.  Are you in?
If so, reply to this thread....

Posted · Report post

Count me in for the discussion.

Posted · Report post

Couldn't make it this year but I do plan on going next year.

Posted · Report post

Could you please elaborate for those of us that are new?  I have only heard about the Challenge in passing and I am not sure if we are up for the Challenge. 

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

i was just bit by the bug when it was time for this year's challenge.  i'm with R5... i want to know more and would love to participate next year. 

Posted · Report post

I hope to be in.  This year it came at a time that I couldn't get away.  Hopefully this next year will be a different weekend.

Posted · Report post

Well, since it's starting to look like we might be sticking around for another couple of years in the big ol' H. I think I'd be interested in joining the SETX crew.... but it all depends on WHEN & WHERE  :coolsmiley:

green-eyed and heftydude like this

Posted · Report post

It looks like the weekend of March 21 (so presumably the actual hunt will take place on the 21st), but I am basing that on the Texas Geocaching Association's website for events.  If it is a week later, I won't be able to make it.

For those wondering about the whole thing--I have been on the hunt team twice and had a fabulous time both times (even with the rain and the mud the second time).  Both of those challenges were done at state parks and the hides were "non-urban".  I haven't had the pleasure of an urban challenge.

Essentially, everyone on the hunt team gets coordinates (which are loaded into GPSr based on the heroic efforts of our technical support team :fist-pump: ), someone shouts "go" (figuratively), and you then go out and have a blast trying to find just as many of those caches as you can in the time limit given.  :cheers:

Posted · Report post

I'm interested in hunting again this year. Cachin shark may turn traitor and hunt for NTX :stirpot: 

Posted · Report post

this might be a dumb question, but are the challenge caches put out just for the challenge, or are they regular full-time caches?

Posted · Report post

this might be a dumb question, but are the challenge caches put out just for the challenge, or are they regular full-time caches?

Mostly they are just put out for the challenge, but some of them become permanent if someone on the hide team wants it that way.

There are some along the Lone Star Trail that Tealcat and I adopted that were originally part of the challenge (the Geo workout caches and skip the workout).

Posted · Report post

I plan on going as a casual cacher.... :D

You better not!

Hey, it's just a game...but it IS a game we want to win!  You might be our not-so-secret weapon!

Posted · Report post

You better not!

Hey, it's just a game...but it IS a game we want to win!  You might be our not-so-secret weapon!

I can eat a bunch of refried beans before the challenge and be a weapon....or so I'm told. Lol.

I'm only doing caches that I can get to on my skateboard.... :D

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

You better not!

I can eat a bunch of refried beans before the challenge and be a weapon....or so I'm told. Lol.

I'm only doing caches that I can get to on my skateboard.... :D

Blindzman and ThaCatish....those are the secret weapons

Posted · Report post

Add me to the list. I'm looking forward to my 4th TX Challenge!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

There have been 2 "urban" Texas Challenges.   The first was in and around Fredericksburg for the non-competitive event, and the caches were real GC.com caches.  The second was last year in Port Aransas.

For the most part, the "challenge" caches have been temporary and retrieved after the competition is over.

The competitive part of the challenge is a timed event where regional teams compete to see who gets the most points.  Recently, points are awarded based upon the D/T rating of the cache.  The top 80% of the scorecards of each regional team are averaged for the team score.  Sometimes FTF points are awarded on top of the average.  The challenge caches are not always physical finds.  Other types may be "activity" caches or "moving" caches.  ( for instance, at the TC2007, the teams got points for finding a certain beagle and giving him a kiss.  The beagle and his owner were roving the park) 

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy
green-eyed likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

If I'm breathing, there's no place I'd rather be than workin' for the Golden Ammo Can

What can we improve on?

2. We prolly need to budget for the right amount of electric power for the loading station this next year! 

3. Assign an experienced challenge participant to 1st time attendees or newbies BEFORE the event. Maybe have a true dry run before event day so they know exactly what to expect and can possibly connect with a group ahead of the event.

1. Win baby.

Edited by KeyResults
Jhawk! likes this

Posted · Report post

3. Assign an experienced challenge participant to 1st time attendees or newbies BEFORE the event. Maybe have a true dry run before event day so they know exactly what to expect and can possibly connect with a group ahead of the event.

I like that idea.  I haven't a clue as to what to expect and would like to help out somehow if I can make it.  That weekend should be one that I have powerdog02 with me unless he will be camping with scouts, so he'd be upset if I went and he didn't.