Getting to Know You Fellow geocacher: Things that influenced you life

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSghBj616zJat38oXftAeN Reinhold Messner, Mountaineer Extra-Ordinaire

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpsgd7jsF8NeGyvaViXY0 Ayrton Senna

Edited by Dhaulaghiri

Posted · Report post

My biggest influence was a family friend, John Wade. He was one of the Chosin Few. I grew up thinking if I can be half as tough that nothing could hurt me.

Posted · Report post

temple_grandin_01.jpg

Temple Grandin has probably inspired me more than anybody else.  I already knew I wanted to commit my life to making the world a better place for animals, but she showed me that someone could actually make an entire career out of that.

Who is wearing the tag in their ear?  JustKidding, JustKeely!  She is a very interesting lady.

Posted · Report post

Did I mention Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart?  I spent a lot of time listening to them (still do when Mrs. Z isn't around).  I guess Bill Harkleroad ( Zoot Horn Rollo )would be considered an influence, too .  He is important, or he wouldn't be on Wikipedia, right?

Posted · Report post

Did I mention Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart?  I spent a lot of time listening to them (still do when Mrs. Z isn't around).  I guess Bill Harkleroad ( Zoot Horn Rollo )would be considered an influence, too .  He is important, or he wouldn't be on Wikipedia, right?

Dinah-moe Humm   :angel:
Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

Chuck Yeager, Mickey Thompson and Kelly Johnson (his designs influenced me before I even knew who he was).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSghBj616zJat38oXftAeN  Ayrton Senna

That is a good one.

Posted · Report post

Ha.  I didn't click to who what was at first.  I thought it was that weird dude that painted the forests scenes with a putty knife on tv. lol.  Seeing it again I do not know how I possibly confused them.  Messner is far cooler in all respects.  Except, maybe, painting forests with putty knives.

Posted · Report post

that is so not bob ross.  I watched bob ross and his happy little trees when I was powerdog02's age. 

Posted · Report post

Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, Larry Niven, J. R. R. Tolkien to name a few.

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

that is so not bob ross.  I watched bob ross and his happy little trees when I was powerdog02's age. 

post-2012-0-43998200-1379037858_thumb.jp

I feel a nightmare coming on

Posted · Report post

Sweet Jesus - that's him. See, I told you I had no idea why I thought of him when seeing that other photo.

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

*in a soft voice*   look at that happy tree.  wheeeeee!  *swoosh swoosh of the fan brush*

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

post-2012-0-81206300-1379038497_thumb.jp    No Valium refills

post-2012-0-15921500-1379038550_thumb.jp    To many Valium refills

Posted · Report post

ok.  with the pictures next to each other and in the little format, they could be brothers.  or cousins.  one indoors and one rugged outdoors.

Posted · Report post

Ha.  I didn't click to who what was at first.  I thought it was that weird dude that painted the forests scenes with a putty knife on tv. lol.  Seeing it again I do not know how I possibly confused them.  Messner is far cooler in all respects.  Except, maybe, painting forests with putty knives.

LOL, I can see the mistake, but you're right CS; Messner is in a different league from Bob Ross.

But then again I L-O-V-E-D the happy little accidents & sticks, twigs and happy little trees with their friends too. I can only wish for both their patience, perseverance, focus, drive, etc. etc.

Of course this is also the reason WHY I named Messner as a person that influenced my (mountaineering) life. Shame on me for forgetting about Bob!

Posted · Report post

Don't misunderstand. Bob freaked me out as a kid. Maybe a negative influence.

Posted · Report post

he was gentle and annoying.  but there was a watercolor artist with ill-fitting pants that freaked me out. 

Posted · Report post

I used to watch this wacky young lady who drove some vintage light blue car, She would make stuff out of junk. I cannot remember the name of the show. Anyone remember?