Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

August streak

58 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I ended the month with 35 more souvenirs than I had at the start of the month!

Posted · Report post

I was looking at HC's souvenirs to see what extra ones he had gotten and started looking at some of his others.  I've never even heard of some of his countries.  Also, a couple of his souvenirs got my attention.  They were ones related to Project APE.  What did they have for PROJECT APE for 2013 that you did since the PROJECT APE is archived?   Also, I saw the PROJECT APE souvenir (generic) and looked on our page to see if we had one because we had found one in Chicago many years ago.  It's archived.  We didn't have a souvenir because it appears the only ones that got you a souvenir were the Seattle one and the Brazil one.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

The 2013 APE souvenir was for the Going APE Mega Event the day after the block party.  I agree you should get the APE cache souvenir no matter which APE cache you found, but I'm not in charge..... yet.

Some of the other funny "country" souvenirs I have are actually for counties in Ireland.  We found caches in four Irish counties in 2008, then they rolled out souvenirs for them about 4 years after that.  Other than the souvenir for each day of August, I got the Block Party souvenir, the Going APE 2013, Original Cache Location, and Oregon souvenirs.

Edited by HoustonControl

Posted · Report post

The 2013 APE souvenir was for the Going APE Mega Event the day after the block party.  I agree you should get the APE cache souvenir no matter which APE cache you found, but I'm not in charge..... yet.

Some of the other funny "country" souvenirs I have are actually for counties in Ireland.  We found caches in four Irish counties in 2008, then they rolled out souvenirs for them about 4 years after that.  Other than the souvenir for each day of August, I got the Block Party souvenir, the Going APE 2013, Original Cache Location, and Oregon souvenirs.

I had guessed the Headquarters one instead of the Oregon.  I guess you got the HQ one on your previous trip. 

We added 2 more in August besides the streak because we added Michigan and Ontario.  I'm wondering why all of the other countries have such nice souvenirs and all of the US states are alike and not as interesting. 

Posted · Report post

I'm wondering why all of the other countries have such nice souvenirs and all of the US states are alike and not as interesting. 

It's odd -- the thumbnail for each state is generic, but if you click on it, the actual souvenir artwork that comes up is more elaborate.

Posted · Report post

My next foreign country souvenir will be in October when I go to Louisiana.

I also like that bumper sticker that says "I was not born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could"

Posted · Report post

It's odd -- the thumbnail for each state is generic, but if you click on it, the actual souvenir artwork that comes up is more elaborate.

I hadn't noticed that before.  Once you drill in, the art is very nice.  I wish they would show that or have a gallery view to browse throught it.

The Canadian Provence's are each different and much nicer than the generic us state ones.

After August, I'm up to 93!

We need a challenge cache for 100 now!

Posted · Report post

We kept it going through all of August and our streak is now 100+

Just a few more days to reach 125 and qualify for a Challenge cache.  This is the first time we have worked at keeping a streak alive and will probably let go of it soon.

Posted · Report post

i'd like to be done, but since powerdog02 missed a week while with the muggle parental unit, he's only at 16 days.  he'd probably be ticked at me if I got log dawg's challenge and he didn't.  but then he'll miss a few days again this weekend.  crap. 

Posted · Report post

Syd's and mine ended tonight.  Family circumstances won out.  Old record of 37 still stands.  Got to 33 this time.  And although I wish they had done it in October, I still think gc did a good thing with this. Got a lot of people motivated and outside when they wouldn't have otherwise.  And bet they got more people who wouldn't have done so otherwise than slowed down others who saved them to plan accordingly.  For my daughter, it rekindled her interest in caching.  She has that competitive edge and this fed it just enough.  :D

green-eyed and Dhaulaghiri like this

Posted · Report post

we've got to get the kids together caching more often.  any of our kids...

Margot (R5) decided today that she is going to have a geocaching birthday event when she turns 6 and invite all her geofriends.  She started listing all her favorites, Hans, Cindy, Jpeg, green-eyed, powerdog02, Kirbydox - then she added Scarecrow which was weird because we don't know him.  She said because she wants to meet him and maybe he'll come to her party if she makes it an event.  So next February we are going to have another GeoFamily Fun Fest Birthday party edition and get all the kids together then.  The girl is planning early!  And just maybe we will get to meet Scarecrow!

green-eyed and Dhaulaghiri like this

Posted · Report post

I think the best thing about Agust was all the old boring caches and the new caches that got put out so us "regulars" could streak close to home.  Good for everyone!

I still think gc did a good thing with this. Got a lot of people motivated and outside when they wouldn't have otherwise.

Posted · Report post

I was kind of wondering how like on Tuesdays and Wednesdays is when all the restaurants have their specials...makes me think that maybe world-wide, perhaps August is GC's slow month.  either that, or it might be when ad rates are due and they needed to up the eyeball count on their web pages.

Posted · Report post

We finished all of them, and got a few FTFs in the bargain!  We are at 122 right now, and are working to 125 for the Well Rounded Cacher Challenge.  We had everything else but the streak, so we decided to work on a streak.  We may go on, but probably not.

BTW,  I only did one 11:50 PM on one day and 12:05 AM the next day run, and that was because a FTF opportunity popped up (and I got it).

It will be interesting to find out if it generated more finds in August than 'normal'.  We ended up not getting many on any day so there would be more close caches available.  Oh, yes, and the heat had a little to do with that, too.

Posted · Report post

Lol @ "muggle parental unit"

someone caught it!  :notme:

Posted · Report post

I caught it and thought it was a very kind way of referring to the fellow.

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

I caught it and thought it was a very kind way of referring to the fellow.

Ditto!

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

we've got to get the kids together caching more often.  any of our kids...

Margot (R5) decided today that she is going to have a geocaching birthday event when she turns 6 and invite all her geofriends.  She started listing all her favorites, Hans, Cindy, Jpeg, green-eyed, powerdog02, Kirbydox - then she added Scarecrow which was weird because we don't know him.  She said because she wants to meet him and maybe he'll come to her party if she makes it an event.  So next February we are going to have another GeoFamily Fun Fest Birthday party edition and get all the kids together then.  The girl is planning early!  And just maybe we will get to meet Scarecrow!

Wow, Scarecrow made the cut and I didn't? Even after seeing her about a dozen times, playing the pathtag/shell game with her, etc? Sniff, sniff... :huh:

Dhaulaghiri likes this