Newbies shooting from the hip

63 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Can non-premium members with Smartphones see the cache? I heard they could.

they shouldn't.  I couldn't see premium caches with my phone (primary source of GPS until very recently) until I upgraded.

Posted · Report post

At least they're letting you know they mangled the hide and are expressing some remorse. My beef is mainly with the silent "TFTC." cache manglers. Since we have migrated to Premium only, these occur much less frequently now, but traffic also is lower.

I know there was another discussion thread awhile back about hiding premium vs. non-premium, and your comments (Kenny) are one of the primary reasons I continue to only hide premium. I get enough "wear and tear" having mine premium. With well over 200 hides out, I would spend my every waking hour doing maintenance if I listed mine non-premium...I'm sure of it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

This has not been the case so much so in Baytown, but it may come to that. I really hate to exclude anyone, but rather educate, right green-eyed? I am always pushing to "not hide a cache until you've found 50!", but lately there have been a slew of new cachers with phone Apps and no mean understanding of the game running all over the place.

I also have a lot of caches to maintain (216 and one in the queue), but I don't want to stop hiding them either. I will have to be gentle and write something kind in my OM logs and hope they come back and read them... On top of that, I think I'll teach another geocaching 101 class at either the Eddie V Gray Wetlands Center or BNC this fall.

Back when I really got cranked up, it was my desire to hide one for every 10 I found. Well, I can't do it and won't try, but I am still 1 hid for every 16 found, so that's not too shabby. Imagine the impact if every cacher in the area were 1 for 25? Holy moley! Kirbydox alone would have 1.5 caches for every one Parkerplus has put out. LOL I'm not picking on you KD, just using you as an example.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

Yes, I get that. The geo-area around you is different than around me. There are plenty of non-premium caches around me to keep the newbie's busy. :)

This has not been the case so much so in Baytown, but it may come to that. I really hate to exclude anyone, but rather educate, right green-eyed? I am always pushing to "not hide a cache until you've found 50!", but lately there have been a slew of new cachers with phone Apps and no mean understanding of the game running all over the place.

yes... it is about educating.  I didn't hide my first one until closer to 100 finds and I refused to let the redhead hide one of his own until he had over 50 on his account, even though he had found plenty with me under my name.  some of the newbies near me are driving us a bit batty with container styles, locations, and general silliness.  when the 10 yr old complains...... I think we're all trying to give a gentle push in the right direction using encouragement and helpful suggestions.

Edited by green-eyed
Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

I also have a lot of caches to maintain (216 and one in the queue), but I don't want to stop hiding them either. I will have to be gentle and write something kind in my OM logs and hope they come back and read them... On top of that, I think I'll teach another geocaching 101 class at either the Eddie V Gray Wetlands Center or BNC this fall.

Back when I really got cranked up, it was my desire to hide one for every 10 I found. Well, I can't do it and won't try, but I am still 1 hid for every 16 found, so that's not too shabby. Imagine the impact if every cacher in the area were 1 for 25? Holy moley! Kirbydox alone would have 1.5 caches for every one Parkerplus has put out. LOL I'm not picking on you KD, just using you as an example.

Fire away, Bert, doesn't bother me, I can take it. :P  You are a prince among cachers and do more for the good will of the sport than anyone I know.   O0

While I have over 114 hides, I only have 84 ACTIVE hides. This is what I can handle maintenance on because some are in difficult to maintain areas like GBP and on the CLAPS series or just a good distance away, like Galveston. I would rather cachers put out caches they can keep well maintained than throw out a bunch of quickies and never touch them again despite DNF logs. My belief has always been if you have time to cache, you have time to maintain your caches. 

Posted · Report post

I would rather cachers put out caches they can keep well maintained than throw out a bunch of quickies and never touch them again despite DNF logs. My belief has always been if you have time to cache, you have time to maintain your caches. 

Amen to that! I occasionally get logs from people who find my caches but have caches of their own that have lots of NA, NM, and/or mucho DNF logs, and that's the first thing that pops in my mind.

Posted · Report post

And you do an admirable job.  You remind me of Margaret Thatcher.  Ha ha ha!  That's hilarious, but you did say you can take it right?  :angel:

Posted · Report post

And you do an admirable job.  You remind me of Margaret Thatcher.  Ha ha ha!  That's hilarious, but you did say you can take it right?  :angel:

LOL, yes I did. Did I forget to tell you that I also belong to the "don't get mad, get even" club? ???   :knuppel2:  Even now I am working on an evil, mean, wicked Baytown Bert cache. >:D  >:D   >:D

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

LOL, yes I did. Did I forget to tell you that I also belong to the "don't get mad, get even" club? ???   :knuppel2:  Even now I am working on an evil, mean, wicked Baytown Bert cache. >:D  >:D   >:D

Children, children!! You're just like all the politicians, I say less talking, more caching/hiding!

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

Careful, Donna.  I am the holder of the coveted Berty Tube allotment.  I've already had to put Elisa on probation... :angel:

green-eyed and Dhaulaghiri like this

Posted · Report post

Careful, Donna.  I am the holder of the coveted Berty Tube allotment.  I've already had to put Elisa on probation... :angel:

Bert, you are The Man and I bow to your superior cache hiding and finding skills and...nevermind. I already have a bagful of Berty tubes.  :teasing:

Posted · Report post

This is getting interesting.... Where's the popcorn?!?

Posted · Report post

You sure can, HC. Can you stay in there long enough for me to submit a Flash mob event and CITO of the hospital? No? Okay then. Get out as soon as you feel better buddy.

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

I had a newbie log a find on my "Directionally Challenged" challenge cache, which requires 50 finds with a directional word in the title - north, south, northwest, etc. His log said, "Not sure about the fifty other finds, but i'll read up on it when we get home...."

I checked his profile. He has 20 finds total.

Posted · Report post

I will. Two of them "found it". When I get out of this stinking hospital and back home where I don't have to do everything on my iPhone, I will send them an email. I haven't deleted their logs yet…

Posted · Report post

another cache hidden by someone with no finds? http://coord.info/GC4KD5W

A 'glass' jar ?   Yikes! 

we've got a glass jar cache here in LC.  and one next to active railroad tracks.

Am I the only one a bit worried  concerned about the cache that got posted last night that is on the Highway 146 bridge between Seabrook and Kemah? I always thought placing hides on highway bridges was a no-no.

Edited by Kyrenx