Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bert's PSA on Heat Exhaustion

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love Stone Mountain!  I went to high school just north of there in Cherokee County.  We are all guilty of this dangerous behavior, LOL and that is why I came forward.  I took it easy yesterday and my Bride returned last night from a sabatical and watched my video.  She scolded me, but today, we were over in Hitman territory and I was getting a 100 degree reading.  She decided we needed to walk this 2 mile course and I told her I hadn't really recovered from Tha Basty territory.  "Oh, come on, you can make it, can't you?"  We did it and now, I am once again pooped.  It didn't stop me from taking this victory leap on cache number 22 though.  LOL

Geocaching7-29-1337_zpsf1633de7.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

As long as you are OK Bert, that is what is important.  We all do it, and we will do it again and again.  Infact, since I have been a cacher, I have done it about 5 times total to where I could see my relatives calling me across the bridge!! LOL!!  I guess another thing is we can post on this site to let everyone know where one is going.  For example, Bert can mention an area he will be at, for eg GBP:, maybe a mashup can happen, but if not everyone is alerted that Bert is in GBP park, etc.  It is a great way for all of us to check on each other.

A cacher did pass on a caching expedition last year in another state.  The family was concerned but the area geocachers knew where he went, because he relayed he was gonna try for certain caches.  The geocachers in the area helped the family and located the cacher, he passed, but the geocacching family found him before the authorities did.  Like I said, maybe we can set up a thread called..I am gonna cache in: GBP, and just keep it running...a good safety net for everyone, in case one of us ends up missing.  Just an idea.

Posted · Report post

A lot of times I'll post in the shoutbox where I'm going for the day in hopes that I'll meet up with other cachers.

Posted · Report post

I notice that this thread now has the "Hot" tag.  Seems only appropriate.

Posted · Report post

With the August streak challenge coming up, I would suggest that cachers do some mash-ups before going after the high terrain, bushwacking caches so that you are at least not doing them alone in the August heat.   It's always fun to cache with others any way. 

Posted · Report post

The meteorologist on KPRC stated this morning that for the next two months we will be entering the hottest part of summer.  Maybe its just me, but I was thinking we are already there.

Posted · Report post

The meteorologist on KPRC stated this morning that for the next two months we will be entering the hottest part of summer.  Maybe its just me, but I was thinking we are already there.

the report i heard him say this morning was that come august 20-ish, we'd be "cooling" down again... about a degree.

Posted · Report post

the report i heard him say this morning was that come august 20-ish, we'd be "cooling" down again... about a degree.

That's about right.  Last time I looked at the long term averages, August 17 was the day temps start trending down, and January 20 is the date they begin an upward trend.  May have changed a day one way or the other but I doubt there's been any significant change.

Posted · Report post

As long as you are OK Bert, that is what is important.  We all do it, and we will do it again and again.  Infact, since I have been a cacher, I have done it about 5 times total to where I could see my relatives calling me across the bridge!! LOL!!  I guess another thing is we can post on this site to let everyone know where one is going.  For example, Bert can mention an area he will be at, for eg GBP:, maybe a mashup can happen, but if not everyone is alerted that Bert is in GBP park, etc.  It is a great way for all of us to check on each other.

A cacher did pass on a caching expedition last year in another state.  The family was concerned but the area geocachers knew where he went, because he relayed he was gonna try for certain caches.  The geocachers in the area helped the family and located the cacher, he passed, but the geocacching family found him before the authorities did.  Like I said, maybe we can set up a thread called..I am gonna cache in: GBP, and just keep it running...a good safety net for everyone, in case one of us ends up missing.  Just an idea.

I agree with this one. I went out kayaking over on the new CLAPS by myself today and I told my wife, I put up a mash up and had invited some other friends to join, so a lot of people knew where to go looking for me if I hadn't returned to safety. (Not to mention Pinky of course, I guess he would have gone looking for his missing 'yak, LOL)

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think I am through kayaking our waters solo, however, I do not criticize anyone who chooses to do it.  I've got to start thinking about what would and could happen if no one knows where I am.  Walking up on the hidden drug cache is another example of how things can go south.  We are the new generations of outdoorsmen (women).  We spend more time in the woods and secluded areas than just about anyone and alligators and snakes are seriously, the least of our worries.  There are many dangers out there besides heat exhaustion.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

I agree Bert, I started out at Big Island Slough and felt a bit alone out there at first.

As soon as I got near the Nature Center though I started seeing more other people and I knew the terrain there so I felt a little more at ease. At the end of the day I was just thinking about getting my behind back to Pinky's and honestly NEXT time I go out there I'm not gonna paddle all the way back over Mud Lake AGAIN..... my neck & shoulders hurt like a SOB now!

I did manage to grab 39 caches today however, and that includes two of the CLAPS challenges, so even though my body tells me a little differently I feel pretty pleased with myself. Even managed to do a 2.5 mile run on the treadmill while my wife was enjoying her spinning class... guess who will be sleeping like a baby tonight??

By the way, what does PSA mean? I don't know that acronym....

Posted · Report post

I agree I think it would be good to have a place to say where you are going, especially if you are going alone.  I should probably start coming here to at least post here when I go alone and then tell friends that if I am not around for a while to check here in case something happened.  I was irritated at myself last year thinking I should know better when I twisted my ankle and fell as I had gotten started doing some of the monopoly caches in Bear Creek last year.  THe dogs stuck nearby in fact Abbey helped me get up... then I saw a snake as I headed back to the truck.  I was so thankful I didn't see it the same time I fell.  It was a cottonmouth... at least I am pretty sure of it.

Posted · Report post

c:geo can post to twitter the link to the cache you just found.

You could use Google Latitude or Glympse to notify your peeps of your location.

Many different ways to go about this.. but just a thought.

Posted · Report post

I will have to check into Google Latitude and Glympse.  I have never used Twitter.... just don't want to start one more thing that is a time suck in my life.  I know what hash tags are # but not sure why or how they use them.  Suppose I should join the rest of the world on some of these things but for now I have managed without Twitter.

Posted · Report post

Sadly, Google Latitude was retired Aug 9th :(

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3001634?hl=en

Kelly and I have found that Motion-X GPS, smartphone app, has a pretty cool live update feature that is very handy for letting others know exactly where you are in near real-time (30 second pings) as long as they have access to a browser. It will also send email, sms, social net position updates too if you wish. Free once you have the app. Friends don't need to have the app to keep tabs on you. Fairly easy on the battery and runs in the background in optimized mode. Not an advertisement, but it did work pretty well for us as recently as 2 weeks ago. 

Posted · Report post

Here's an update on my day of infamy.  Apparently, I did not sign - or maybe even find the 6th and last cache in the new series by theBasty that day before I went down and almost killed myself bush whacking through the reeds.  The Craziestcatlady found a blank log on #6.  I remember each cache and remember signing every log in vivid detail, but the proof is not there.  Through about 20 emails and a couple of videos from her, I've withdrawn my FTF on #6 and for sure, there is no contest or hard feelings.  it is a grand (and amazing) mystery to me and I just have to go back to Anahuac, most likely in the morning to see if what I remember is true.  Anyone want to tag along?  There are a lot of caches to be found.

Posted · Report post

I will have to check into Google Latitude and Glympse.  I have never used Twitter.... just don't want to start one more thing that is a time suck in my life.  I know what hash tags are # but not sure why or how they use them.  Suppose I should join the rest of the world on some of these things but for now I have managed without Twitter.

I only mention twitter because the feature is built into c:geo. I have twitter account only because I was testing that feature. I have 16 tweets from 2011 :)

Sadly, Google Latitude was retired Aug 9th :(

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3001634?hl=en

Kelly and I have found that Motion-X GPS, smartphone app, has a pretty cool live update feature that is very handy for letting others know exactly where you are in near real-time (30 second pings) as long as they have access to a browser. It will also send email, sms, social net position updates too if you wish. Free once you have the app. Friends don't need to have the app to keep tabs on you. Fairly easy on the battery and runs in the background in optimized mode. Not an advertisement, but it did work pretty well for us as recently as 2 weeks ago. 

You're absolutely right... I'm not sure where Google is going these days... I think all their good developers and thinkers have left. I'm still butt hurt about iGoogle...

I guess if you wanted Latitude you could use the G+ app.

Posted · Report post

If you are going out alone, especially if you are a woman, I would be very careful about posting on a public page that you are going to be alone.  That's just advertising trouble.  Even logging real time (which we often do) can tell others where you are and they can predict where you are going.  I know this is true because we've had cache owners or others watching caches catch up with us while we were caching. 

Team Troglodyte likes this