Sign in to follow this  
HoustonControl

Trees of Texas

HoustonControl    1,046

I found this cool site hosted by Texas A&M -- http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/

I was trying to ID some of the trees we have on our new property -- aside from all of the live oaks in the process of dying from oak wilt.  I managed to identify one as a Texas Persimmon, but some of the others have me stumped (pun intended).  Anyone know of any other useful sites like this?

Ooooo, I need to create an app where you take a picture of a leaf and it tells you what kind of tree it is!

Edited by HoustonControl

cachestacker    736

HC - did you look for one? Leafsnap. Have it for scouts. Works pretty well. You have to have a white background so take the leaves and put them in paper or bring it with you.

HoustonControl    1,046

HC - did you look for one? Leafsnap. Have it for scouts. Works pretty well. You have to have a white background so take the leaves and put them in paper or bring it with you.

I did find that after I posted.  It was taking forever to download.  They say they only have trees of the Northeast in the database for now.  I'll give it a go!

Baytown Bert    1,117

Even expert treeologists(!)get confused over oak tree leaves. You can pick 5 leaves from the same tree and they look different.

HoustonControl    1,046

Even expert treeologists(!)get confused over oak tree leaves. You can pick 5 leaves from the same tree and they look different.

Agreed.  There are some live oak trees on the property and they each seem to have different size/shape leaves.  Well, the ones that HAVE leaves, anyway.  The Oak Wilt fungus has done a number on the live oaks in Gillespie and surrounding counties. :disappoint: