TEXAS CHALLENGE 2016

113 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I personally am not in favor of GBP. I would go for some small towns in the area. They appreciate us being there. After all we spend our money in those towns. Houston would probably not even know we exist. 

I agree with BB, the reps from Brenham were very enthusiastic about us considering them.

Just my two cents worth.

Huff-Suter and Jhawk! like this

Posted · Report post

I agree with BB, the reps from Brenham were very enthusiastic about us considering them.

Brenham would also be a good location.  Lots of parks and open spaces.  

If the playing field needs to enlarge, then you have several opportunities in surrounding towns.  Lake Somerville, and Washington-on-the-Brazos SP are also nearby to spread out the competition.  

Jhawk! likes this

Posted · Report post

I like the Brenham idea too. What a beautiful time of year to be in that area... and yes, BLUE BELL! O0

Posted · Report post

Tours are Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., as needed on a first come, first served basis.

No weekend tours.

No weekend Blue Bell tours!!

Posted · Report post

So?  People started to TC in Bastrop on Wed / Thurs / Fri / ...

Dude.  It's Blue Bell.

gsguru and Jhawk! like this

Posted · Report post

So?  People started to TC in Bastrop on Wed / Thurs / Fri / ...

Dude.  It's Blue Bell.

True. Most people did the labs caches on Thursday or Friday. Sat/Sun are reserved for the challenge itself and the CITO.

Hold an event at Blue Bell on Friday and let people line up for the first come/first served tour if they want.

Posted · Report post

Depending on the date of the Challenge, it will fall in Spring break which will allow thur/fri tours!!

I will try to take a trip to Brenham and scout around.

Other then blue bell, what other qualities does it hold?

I am not THE deciding factor by any means... just an information gatherer!

Posted · Report post

it's got Washington-on-the-brazos SP and lake sommerville not too far away. 

Posted · Report post

I also like this Brenham idea.  Is that technically SE?  Wine tours, ice cream, bluebonnets, Texas history - it would be a a place that could easily support a Challenge format like the 2009 one.  

Posted · Report post

Is that technically SE? 

I think it's too far east to call it part of Central Texas and closer to Houston than it is Austin, so Brenham is fair game IMO.

Posted · Report post

I love Brenham myself. They have a few B&B's in the area, too, for those who are into that kind of thing.

One thing to possibly be aware of is the antique shows that happen around there a few times each year (used to be a big one in the Spring, and another big one in the Fall). It's very difficult to find rooms in the area of any type on those weekends. This year, the big one in Round Top was the last week of March. Besides room availability being an issue at those times, there are lots of other vehicles to contend with (sometimes lines of them along the side of the road), roadside antique sales, etc. Just throwing that out there to keep in the back of the minds...

Posted · Report post

Plenty of calendar info on the web, but it sure couldn't hurt to have a local expert's input / guidance. I just wanted to throw it out to consider when scheduling the TXC if it's going to be in the Brenham area.

Bluebonnets baby!

Posted · Report post

Just throwing the idea out there. I know there are camp kiddie cachers but what about camp doggie cachers?? 

Posted · Report post

If you have the kiddies take care of the doggies it will keep them all busy for 4 hours and work out great for everyone...

CANINE QUEEN likes this

Posted · Report post

Is that technically SE? 

I think it's too far east to call it part of Central Texas and closer to Houston than it is Austin, so Brenham is fair game IMO.

It's in the Houston Area portion of the State Parks Guidebook.

JustKeely likes this

Posted · Report post

" Is that technically SE?"  I think having the challenge on the west side of Houston will make it a lot easier for the West Texas folks to attend.

Posted · Report post

Nevermind, they are only open briefly through the year.

Open September 28 – Nov 29, 2013

Bummer.

Posted · Report post

I agree that Brenham should be seriously considered. I was involved in the very first 6 MS-150 Houston to Austin events and Brenham welcomed us like no other township when we were nobody but a bunch of cyclists. It's a terrific area in so many respects and an easy day trip for so many.

Posted · Report post

Brenham/Washington County invites the TX Challenge in 2016! We have ample space, lots of parks, two state parks actually, a huge Fairgrounds with covered pavilion, large indoor space, camping on site, hotels within 5 minutes, and many other advantages. It's scenic & historic too. And the home to the first GeoTour in Texas! :-)

Please let us know what we can do to host & help!

~ Jenny Mills

Website & Social Media Manager

Brenham/Washington County Chamber-CVB

jenny@brenhamtexas.com

888-BRENHAM