Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Toy

18 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I am now the proud owner of a Old Town Vapor 10 Kayak( package deal) It should be here next week sometime.

Cant wait to take it caching :coolsmiley:

Posted · Report post

Congrats!  Kayak caching is fun!  Mark 12/14 down for a night paddle event.  :D

Posted · Report post

Congrats! Cachestacker's nighttime paddle events are the best. (This years lights will be the best ever! :D The ISS will see us all for sure.) If you're new to new styles of yaks/canoes, be sure to practice re-entry so you know how to get back on or inside when you flip your new boat! Seriously. It always seems to happen when you least expect it. Invest in a great flotation vest!

Posted · Report post

The package deal I mentioned includes a PFD, a paddle, a bungee tether and a cover for the storage space.

Posted · Report post

Buy a dry bag to keep your valuables in and a float to attach to your GPSr unit.

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Anybody with experience with inflatable kayaks?  That's what I've been eyeing.  Feedback would be helpful.

Posted · Report post

I bought Tealcat an inflatable kayak from National Geographic (sadly they don't have it anymore) and she likes it.  We took it to the WWFM in the Woodlands and then went out and did Beyond Here There are Dragons.  A couple of others went and did it too, so if they are on the site, they might comment as well.

Posted · Report post

Anybody with experience with inflatable kayaks?  That's what I've been eyeing.  Feedback would be helpful.

Me too.  I'd love to have a yak, but don't have the storage space to get it approved by the management.

Direct Buy carries inflatables, but since the CLAPS is a my target use case I really really don't want to be gator bait.

Posted · Report post

We had a guy from Laredo bring his inflatable kayak on the CLAPS series.  It seemed like it was more effort to use (not as aero/hydro-dynamic) but he kept up with us fine and I was surprised, seeing one up close, how durable they were.

The ones I'm interested in I just recently saw was more of a rigid frame collapseable yak.  Had never heard nor seen of such a thing before.  But it folded up very nicely.  And no pump or huffing and puffing.

Posted · Report post

Me too.  I'd love to have a yak, but don't have the storage space to get it approved by the management.

Direct Buy carries inflatables, but since the CLAPS is a my target use case I really really don't want to be gator bait.

Can you post a link to the one you are looking at?

These are they ones I was thinking of:

http://www.ravesports.com/water-fun/kayaks/02383.html

http://www.ravesports.com/water-fun/kayaks/sea-rebel-kayak-02365.html

Posted · Report post

We had a guy from Laredo bring his inflatable kayak on the CLAPS series.  It seemed like it was more effort to use (not as aero/hydro-dynamic) but he kept up with us fine and I was surprised, seeing one up close, how durable they were.

The ones I'm interested in I just recently saw was more of a rigid frame collapseable yak.  Had never heard nor seen of such a thing before.  But it folded up very nicely.  And no pump or huffing and puffing.

Can you post a link of this?

Posted · Report post

Can you post a link to the one you are looking at?

These are they ones I was thinking of:

http://www.ravesports.com/water-fun/kayaks/02383.html

http://www.ravesports.com/water-fun/kayaks/sea-rebel-kayak-02365.html

That one girl looks like she could just fall out of that Sea Rebel thing.  Looks like only her butt is down low.  I don't trust that one.

Posted · Report post

A while back we used Davarle's inflatable boat (not a kayak) to go after the Woodland dragon and it took forever to inflate.  We also used it for an island cache in Katy and Cookcachers was across to the island and could have been back by the time we had the boat inflated.  I don't think I'd want to trust anything inflatable for as many miles as we go on the CLAPS series.  (Not to mention having less protection between you and the alligator.)

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

My new "toy" finally arrived[:)] Will post pics when I figure out how! May just go play in it today.

Posted · Report post

If you play in the right area there may be some FTF opportunities available.  ;)

Posted · Report post

Lets see...2 FTF's on the excellent CLAPS series, almost 1500 spent on new kayak and assorted gear I just couldnt live without, mud and water in places on my body where Im sure they dont belong, sore arms from paddling and how do I feel? PRICELESS!!![:)] Thanks for the headsup cachestacker!

Baytown Bert likes this