Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Snake encounters of the scary type

89 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

....  Arron Barbee stepped on one while we were doing  this adventure:

Uh, I expected a little Molly Hatchet music for the closing credits on that one!

Edited by HoustonControl
Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

What I love about this topic is the many *experts* we have been blessed with in identifying snakes!! LOL!!   Trea and I were caching in Sugarland when I saw a coral(?) snake cross my path.  Since I did not know the name of the snake, because of sheer fright, I started quoting it to Trea in a fright...Red Touch Yellow, Kill a fellow...lets just say the Red was touching yellow.  We both watched the snake cross the path, then went for the cache, but could not concentrate on finding the cache since we knew the snake was around us.  Needless to say, we never found the cache. I was so scared, I forgot the rest of the saying and still can't remember it!!

Posted · Report post

The nice lady at the wetlands center had a simple solution for you to determine if it is a king snake or coral snake in the STX area.  She said "We don't have those kinds king snakes here."  Thought that was pretty easy to remember.  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

"Red touching yellow killed a fellow.  Red touching black, venom lack" (or "friend of Jack").

According to HerpsofTexas.org, the Scarlet Kingsnake, Lampropeltis triangulum (a type of milksnake) is found across Texas.  I know I've seen one before, but it's been a few years.  I saw one coral snake while caching, but he zipped across the trail before I could take a picture.

http://www.herpsoftexas.org/content/milksnake

I was out placing containers for the BRAWNDO series in Baytown and it was so steamy and humid, my glasses were fogging up.  My brain registered a snake in front of me and I stopped.  It was a mature cottonmouth and was simply holding it's ground.  The vegetation was very thick and I pulled my camera out and took a photo. I wanted to video it and I had not a dry place on me to wipe my glasses, so I stepped back and tried in vain to dry my glasses so I could set the camera to video mode and was successful, I think, then I couldn't find the dang snake!  I back-tracked about 50 feet and moved on.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_My-WlOMmpsY/TFLHM9kl4uI/AAAAAAAABqc/RJD5wh4zbTI/s1600/Banded_Water-Snake-7-28-10.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

One of two coral snakes I've encountered while caching.  This one was many years ago while looking for the Fallen Timber cache.  I never knew coral snakes grew this large as I had only seen the tiny zoo specimens.  This one was well over two feet, probably close to three, and about one inch in diameter.  I also spotted a smaller one in Lake Houston State Park (before it became a city park).  If I have to encounter any venomous reptiles, this one would be the one I'd pick.  Non aggressive, easy to see, and it's difficult for them to envenomate due to their lack of fangs unless you are actually handling the snake.

c252e37d-085c-4685-9499-ebf05de93f5e.jpg

georeyna likes this

Posted · Report post

In the 1960's on a National Guard outing in Sam Houston Nat'l Forest we came across a coral snake.  The biggest guy in the unit spent the rest of the nite standing in the middle of a spread out tarp.  I have a general rule about IDing snakes.  If it doesn't rattle and its dark it is a cotton mouth.  If it has brightly colored rings it is a coral snake and if it has a muted brown, orangish, redish leafy patteren it is a copperhead.  That pretty well covers it.  Anything else, well you never know, it might be an exotic. 

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

My internet has been down or I would have posted this one earlier. I spotted this little cottonmouth riding the current in the ditch along the north GBP trail 10' away. It's a good picture of the black stripe Stan was talking about.

e07c5792-7645-4f40-8037-ee0272e2d38d.jpg

Posted · Report post

Let's not forget the spiders for those who are arachnophobic. This beauty was in the dead tree on CLAPS: Birds of Armand Bayou puzzle final when we went to retrieve the container on Saturday. That's the tip of the paddle in the lower left of the picture. I love my new camera!

48a58247-1059-4f0b-8505-fd2b1c461f24.jpg

Posted · Report post

Let's not forget the spiders for those who are arachnophobic. This beauty was in the dead tree on CLAPS: Birds of Armand Bayou puzzle final when we went to retrieve the container on Saturday. That's the tip of the paddle in the lower left of the picture. I love my new camera!

48a58247-1059-4f0b-8505-fd2b1c461f24.jpg

Now you're just trying to freak out cachestacker.

Posted · Report post

Dude.  That's my paddle.  It was not a cool situation.  Another instance of where I wanted a pic (had to get it out of the crack) but if it ended in the boat I would have been in the water.  I'd have been in the water before Kirbydox knew what hit her.  I think it was waiting for the next puzzle solver to eat.

Team Four Paw and Baytown Bert like this

Posted · Report post

Ran into this sucker in The Woodlands just about 6 inches above a cache.  The scary thing is i did not notice him/her until i placed the cache back in its original location.

F7398FBA-8862-4DCE-A5EE-A2EE91474E37-193

Posted · Report post

yuck yuck yuck!!!!  i've run into snakes and spiders and like to turn as blind an eye as possible.  first outing in the woods at martin dies had a 2 ft snake about 6 inches from my foot and the 10 yr old noticed it.  i don't mind the smaller spiders if they leave me alone because i'll certainly leave them alone first.

Posted · Report post

Here's one we came across in GBP a few years ago.  gsgugu almost stepped on him... twice!

9ef5f65c-86cb-49f5-837a-c5eedb292e5a.jpg

Posted · Report post

That's the real deal.  I've seen the insides of their mouth where it was pink also.

Posted · Report post

I might have to due a snake series dedicated to Kathy and a Pampas grasses series dedicated to Stan.

Posted · Report post

Careful.  I know where you live!  I might just have to place a cache inside a hollowed out stick under the shrub in your front yard.  :)

I might have to due a snake series dedicated to Kathy and a Pampas grasses series dedicated to Stan.

I almost jumped out of my loin clothe today when my Bride told me I was standing beside this snake at: GC3W9KJ. It was only about 18 inches long and very defensive.  Texas brown snake.

Geocaching5-18-138_zpsfd3a25f8.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

When .Jpeg, Kevfan (my nephew) and I were going for the Element series, we saw five snakes in one outing.  We called it a day after the 5th!  Now that I think about it, I seem to have a plethora of snake photos in my geocaching gallery.  I also have a wicked looking scorpion in another picture.  We just have to remember, we are in their territory.

Posted · Report post

why do i read this thread?  i hate snakes.  last time i was at martin dies state park, i nearly stepped on a good sized one while paying attention to my compass... that was late november when it was in the 30's.  i'm headed up there today and it's nice and warm and my pint-sized caching companion won't be on the trail with me to say "hey mom.  um.  there's a snake next to your foot."

Posted · Report post

Oh yeah, and one alligator...

Cull, come to a CLAPS event.  We can add to your photo album.

why do i read this thread?  i hate snakes.  last time i was at martin dies state park, i nearly stepped on a good sized one while paying attention to my compass... that was late november when it was in the 30's.  i'm headed up there today and it's nice and warm and my pint-sized caching companion won't be on the trail with me to say "hey mom.  um.  there's a snake next to your foot."

If he's not there you'll probably never even notice.  Which is probably better for you and the snake.  ;)

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

so... I still had a snake encounter at Martin Dies, even without my sidekick.  this time, I had two muggle scout moms with me on a 3.5 mile hike and the one just starts pointing and sputtering.  never says "snake" until we've all stopped.  copperhead crossing the trail a few feet in front of us.  it was at least 4 ft long and we just let it take it's sweet time slithering across, making sure it was good and gone into the trees.

a few hours later, I found out that the redhead was hiking with his patrol on the same trail and crossed paths with a copperhead.  same one?  maybe...