Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Giant Bike Trail coming?

35 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Bill-moves-ambitious-bike-trails-plan-closer-to-4484681.php

"An ambitious vision to create a grid of "bicycle interstates" across Harris County using the idle land under more than 100 miles of power lines moved closer to reality this week.

With the approval Wednesday of the Texas Senate, and earlier passage by the House, a bill allowing hike and bike trails to be built in utility right of way now awaits action from Gov. Rick Perry."

---> ParkerPlus called a few minutes ago and talked to me about the possibility of a 1400 cache power trail if this bill goes through. I told him I was definately interested in maintaining a portion of it.

Posted · Report post

I can only hope plans like this become a reality soon! As a Dutchman I am an avid biker and it would be absolutely delightful to be able to combine it with my other passion; Geocaching.

Posted · Report post

This would be a great way for Houston to have a power trail and it could be maintained by a large group of cachers.  Say each get 50 caches. 

Posted · Report post

I can see the headlines now. Six slow-biking geocachers ran over by fast-moving Dutch geocacher on power trail.

ROFL.... Why is it people always assume we ride our bikes fast?? Now I'll admit that I like things to be fast, but in a 100+ degree heat I might consider slowing down a bit.

Still, one can only hope plans like these will turn reality.

georeyna likes this

Posted · Report post

I remember walking on the sidewalk in Amsterdam and Haarlem and our group of American tourists having to learn to look both ways before we got to the curb, because there was the bike lane to contend with.

Picture, L-R:  Road (with traffic signal), bike lane (with it's own traffic light), sidewalk.

post-25-0-60337900-1367709337_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

Hopefully someone just tells Gov. Perry it's for free ice cream on Thursdays so he just signs it and we can get this built already.

I can only hope plans like this become a reality soon! As a Dutchman I am an avid biker and it would be absolutely delightful to be able to combine it with my other passion; Geocaching.

I do that already. (Bikecaching is where it's at! Haha.) Of course, I try to form a posse of about 4-6+ riders for safety reasons in certain parts of Houston (mainly inner loop) as there are quite a number of motorists out there that don't look too kindly upon sharing the road with cyclists.

Posted · Report post

I can see the headlines now. Six slow-biking geocachers ran over by fast-moving Dutch geocacher on power trail.

ROFL.... Why is it people always assume we ride our bikes fast?? Now I'll admit that I like things to be fast, but in a 100+ degree heat I might consider slowing down a bit.

Still, one can only hope plans like these will turn reality.

We do not assume, we know...there lay the problem.  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

Last November, Houston voters approved a $100M bond package that with $100M in private match will be transformative to our park trail system. When complete in about 7 years, it will make Houston's system the best in the nation, by far! Thanks to Mayor Parker's vision. Now, let's make Houston are a mecca for geocaching! I would love to help.

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

I like the idea of a 50 cache maintenance plan per dedicated cacher and we could always hold an event every 6 months as a CITO/maintence thingy. We could also adopt it for a CITO instead of a road.

Posted · Report post

Bert, I like your idea/comments, lets develop this thought further

Posted · Report post

The WALLFLOWERS, the City park trails could be included..   WOW, a 5000 or more geocaching power trail inside the City/County limits. 

Posted · Report post

I think this all sounds fantastic. Put me down for maintaining 50. That still leaves 1350 available for FTF. :coolsmiley:  

CornDoll likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Those are my favorites too.

Put me down for maintaining 3.  I'd like #42, #891 & #1227 please.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

#213, #663 and #1077 are near bbq joints. I'm in.

Posted · Report post

Put me in for 50 - Preferably 50 in an area closest to Sugar Land - but will go where I'm needed.  O0

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm in for 50 out here in the Cypress/Katy area....

Edited by TxSunflower

Posted · Report post

JMCz is in for 50 (how cool is that)

O0 That should be fun.  Some sort of evil hide at the base of each tower in his section.  mtp