Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I would like to "adopt a spot" for Houston Geocaching Society...

28 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

How do I go about doing this. After seeing all the signs from other geo associations, I want one for us!

Posted · Report post

I prefer the CITO's myself, as I already am on a one mile stretch of road for the Baytown photo club.  YMMV

Posted · Report post

When do you plan on doing this. If it is on a Sunday, I can't go.

Posted · Report post

i'd participate in the clean-ups if we did adopt a section of highway.

Posted · Report post

OK, I have reached out and we will see. I think it is a great idea.

Posted · Report post

I was thinking that if we do a adopt a  highway it could be near GBP

Posted · Report post

I know other regions have done this.  College Station.  Permain Basin.  I'm sure others.  How did those work out?  To they still have active participation?  Ultimately I think a primary factor would be based upon where it's located and what choices/locations they say are available, I guess.

Posted · Report post

TFP, give yourself one demerit and give Bert a half - he may have just innocently said that...

no, give him a demerit too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I stand on my provocation, as always.  Hey, I suggest we involve the HGS in some major commitment project involving the group without finding a consensus?  What thaaa?  Peace!  At least with the CITO's we can make a dent at our own speed.  Note:  No offense meant to you Diane.  I'm just offering up my own dirty 2 cents.  It is a very noble idea.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

We need to think this through.  No need to go off half-cocked.  :coolsmiley:

That's what sh.. oh.. nevermind...

Posted · Report post

I received the application. Most of Harris County is off limits. We (or I if it will be solo!) need to come up with a stretch of road. Here is the requirements.

THE ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY PROGRAM BEGAN IN TEXAS IN 1985 AND CONTINUES TO GROW – SAVING TAXPAYERS’ MONEY AND KEEPING OUR HIGHWAYS CLEAN. A VOLUNTEERING GROUP ENTERS A 2-YEAR AGREEMENT, ADOPTING A TWO MILE SECTION OF A STATE HIGHWAY (2 MILES ALONG EACH SIDE). ELIGIBLE GROUPS ARE AS FOLLOWS: MEMBERS OR EMPLOYEES OF CIVIC AND NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS; EMPLOYEES OF PRIVATE BUSINESSES AND GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES; FAMILIES; AND INDIVIDUALS. THEY AGREE TO PICK UP TRASH 8 TIMES IN TWO YEARS, DOING QUARTERLY PICK UPS. THE STATE PUTS OUT SIGNS, FURNISHES SAFETY VESTS AND TRASH BAGS. THE GROUP PICKS UP THE TRASH AND THE STATE HAULS IT OFF. THE COST INVOLVED IS THE VOLUNTEER'S TIME TO PICK UP TRASH.

SOME HIGHWAYS CANNOT BE ADOPTED: INTERSTATE, FREEWAY, AND DIVIDED HIGHWAYS CANNOT BE ADOPTED. THERE MAY BE OTHER REASONS FOR NOT ALLOWING A HIGHWAY TO BE ADOPTED. 

OUR DISTRICT COVERS SIX COUNTIES: BRAZORIA, FORT BEND, GALVESTON, HARRIS, MONTGOMERY AND WALLER. MOST OF THE HIGHWAYS IN HARRIS COUNTY CANNOT BE ADOPTED.

KEEP HOUSTON BEAUTIFUL HAS A PROGRAM FOR CITY BLOCKS. THEY CAN BE CONTACTED AT (713) 839-8855. HARRIS COUNTY ALSO HAS A PROGRAM FOR COUNTY ROADS. THE COUNTY COMMISSIONER FOR THE AREA WOULD HAVE TO BE CONTACTED FOR DETAILS.

So, does anyone have any idea WHERE they (or I) would like to adopt?

Posted · Report post

HC, I would soooo do that stretch of highway!! And do it nude!

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

yikes.  i don't know about picking up trash nude... but i vote for galveston county (clear lake area)

Posted · Report post

One way or the other, I'll go commando as usual.  Just sayin'...

Posted · Report post

yikes.  i don't know about picking up trash nude... but i vote for galveston county (clear lake area)

I second this on both points. :D

Posted · Report post

Ohhhh, you said nude! :fist-pump:

Gsguru, we recently had our first Adopt A Highway, made it a CITO, event over here in Beaumont. Thatdarndane is the person who did most of the legwork for our group and i'm sure she would be glad to help if you have any questions. 

11c67b53-a10d-4b31-9652-da5c8d176c50.jpg

Posted · Report post

Ohhhh, you said nude! :fist-pump:

Gsguru, we recently had our first Adopt A Highway, made it a CITO, event over here in Beaumont. Thatdarndane is the person who did most of the legwork for our group and i'm sure she would be glad to help if you have any questions. 

11c67b53-a10d-4b31-9652-da5c8d176c50.jpg

I see a few Baytown cachers in that picture!

Posted · Report post

That is a lot of orange and lot of bags of CITO work. Thanks to the group for

their hard work and for putting their clothes back on for the picture.