Garmin GPSMAP 62s Tutorial Videos

93 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Heees Baaaak

I've never been able to figure out how to make child waypoints work, either on my 60 or the new 62.  I never spent much time at it because I didn't much care.  But, now I want to add a child waypoint to a single cache.  As usual it has baffled me.

Below you see my export setup.  I understand the checked box beside Yes to mean "include child points" (Not 'additional child points,' what ever that might mean.  Additional to what other child points?). I understand the radio button called "only flagged" to mean only include child points that have the checkbox for the child point checked. 

But when I send them to the GPSr, either they aren't there or I don't know what they're supposed to look like so I don't recognize them.

The child point is nearer the target cache than any other cache.  But, when I go to the cache that's supposed to have the child point the closest waypoints are only other caches, not the child point. 

So, how do it get GSAK to send them or how do I find them on the 62?  As I said above, I've tried to figure this out probably a half dozen times, but to no avail. 

post-35-0-05118100-1390098828_thumb.png

Posted · Report post

On all my garmin GPS's (all but a 62) you have to go to the waypoints menu to see child waypoints not the geocache menu item.

Posted · Report post

Amazing.  You're right, it's there.  How did you ever think to look there?

I guess this means there's a major difference between a 62 and a 62s?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Garmin GPS's treat geocaches and waypoints as two different beasts. Instead of exporting the child waypoints as a GPX is to export them as a POI file and install those in the Garmin/POI directory (on SD or main memory). Then as you zoom in on a cache you should be able to see them on the map like any other POI.

To do that you will need the Garmin POILoader program to convert the gpx file to a .gpi (poi) file. TO make this much easier you should use the following gsak macro to do all of your file building. It is a very powerful macro.

The macro is here - http://gsak.net/board/index.php?s=9a584e2a4ed87ba3c6eb43355d62eef8&showtopic=7745&st=40&#entry202276

My comment about "all but a 62" meant I dont have any of the 62 series GPS'r but will bet they are all the same. My 60csx operates like that and it is the model used to build the 62 from.

Just a thought

Edited by ClanStan

Posted · Report post

I just got a 62s after my 76csx died.  I used "send waypoints" in GSAK to load 450 caches to it.  GSAK said they loaded successfully but the unit says no Geocaches found.  I believe someone discussed this earlier in this thread but I didn't understand the answer.  Shouldn't they transfer from GSAK to unit the same way as they did on the 76?  Am I not looking in the right place on the unit?  I went to "Main Menu", "Geocaches".  They weren't in the POI folder either.  WTH?

Posted · Report post

I don't send mine that way, but it should work.  When you choose "send waypoints" the box that pops up has an selection just to the right of the send button that says "GPSr setup".  Click that and make sure that Garmin & GPSMAP62s is selected.

FWIW, I use File -> Export -> GPX/LOC File... and give my file a unique name, then save it to a folder on my computer.  I then click and drag that file into the Garmin/GPX folder on the 62S (& my Montana).  I have several GPX files on each device -- one for puzzle caches, one for benchmarks, one for all other caches, etc and don't always update each one every time I go out.  Yes, there is a method to my madness!

CANINE QUEEN likes this

Posted · Report post

KeyResults understand the 62s superbly so maybe he'll show up soon. 

Have you looked in Waypoints?  I remember in my 60csx it originally put them in the wrong place and I had to reconfigure it. If they are in Waypoints I no longer remember how to change that.

Posted · Report post

Any interest in a brand new 62S I may have in my possession in a few days?  It's still in the box.

CANINE QUEEN likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks, y'all! HC, I used your method and it worked great! :-)

Posted · Report post

Thanks, y'all! HC, I used your method and it worked great! :-)

Only this time it didn't. Did a PQ for Santa Fe last week preparing for my trip and loaded the 62 per HC's method. All seemed well until I got to SF and tried to pull up caches. Only ones that showed up in Geocaches or Waypoint were Houston caches which I was pretty sure I deleted. Now that I am able to look at the devise files on my computer(the only way I know how to) the caches are there in both the geocaches and waypoints pages. So WTH?

Posted · Report post

Every now and then, I'll load a file and the caches in it won't show up on the device.  I'm not sure if it's a Garmin glitch or maybe due to a corrupt GPX file, but it happens.  I ALWAYS turn my GPSr on after loading and disconnecting from the computer to made sure the caches show up.  If not, I'll delete the file in question and recopy it to the Garmin.  If that doesn't fix it, I sometimes have to re-export the GPX file from GSAK (recreate it).

Another trick that a Garmin tech suggested (if problems persist) is to completely delete the "GPX" subfolder from the "Garmin" folder in the 62S.  Unplug it and boot it up (this creates a new GPX subfolder), then plug it back in and copy the needed GPX files back into the device.  I've had to do this a couple of times to fix problems with the 62S hanging up while booting.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My 62s was working as I think it should.  Then I loaded some individual caches into it using GSAK.  These caches were listed individually in the Garmin > GPX folder.  When I tried to update the unit using GSAK the way I usually do I got a message something like

The file GCxxxx is corrupt.  Let windows check disk and correct errors.

I was reluctant to let Windows fool with the Garmin device, so . . .

I would delete this file and try again.  Same error except the file named was another in the list.  I deleted all cache named files and tried again, it gave a similar message but without giving a file name.  During these update trials nothing was changed on the use display.

The unit worked in use and I was able to record new waypoints, but later when I tried to download these waypoints using the GSAK menu  GPS > Receive Waypoints, it gave this error message:

I/O Error 1392

Anybody know what's going on?

Edited by Thot

Posted · Report post

Try completely deleting the GPX folder on the device, disconnect and reboot the GPSr.  It will recreate the Garmin > GPX folder.  Reconnect to your computer and try again.  I know this works for some other errors.

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

This is one of those strange errors that come from some poor housekeeping on the part of the garmin device communications and file handles bit. This is among the reasons I strive to always let windows disconnect the USB garmin connection before unplugging.

My theory is that Windows or a Windows App or Service "touches" the files on the Garmin at some point during a session but doesn't let go as it should. The device then is disconnected and one or more files are corrupt and now a file system mismatch or file header is mucked up. In the past I was able to isolate a couple instances for Garmin support, but in the end the fix was nuke or reset...as HC mentions above.

I have disabled autorun and indexing for my removable drives in windows which also seems to help. Windows like to "find" stuff and that may be part of the problem too, so I've told windows to ignore when I plug in a new USB stick or drive, which includes Garmins.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for both replies.  Windows would not let me delete the GPX folder.  It kept saying the drive was corrupt.  So I let windows do a fix.  It erased all the data but I still couldn't add new data so I did a master reset.  It seems to be working now but, of course I have to reconfigure everything and it's so long between times I forget how. 

Posted · Report post

I had to reconfigure one of our 62s's about a month ago.  I could load from GSAK just fine, but the unit would not boot cleanly afterwards.  I tried the usual deletion of the GPX folder, and cleaning out the Current and Archive folders, too.  Nothing worked this time, except the full reset.

and I still don't use the compass......   :stirpot:  

Posted · Report post

I have never used the compass and hide the page