Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Years Resolutions Caching Style

51 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Everyone has them. Like spend more time with the family, or lose weight. Blah Blah Blah

Lets see what everyone's caching resolutions/goals are for 2013.

I'll start it off.

Complete my D/T grid and my Finds by Placed Month grid. I also want to get 30 more counties and 3 more states/countries.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I resolve to cut my open DT's and finds in placed months in 1/2. Currently at 17 DTs and 21 Months open, and almost all of the available caches an 1hr+ away.

I pledge not to call my wife for locking my keys in my vehicle while caching - the recently installed hide-a-key that I won at Snoogans W.E.G.E. Event should help with this.

I pledge to mount my phone on my window mount if I need to look at maps to get to caches so I avoid wrecking my new Buick Enclave like I did my 2001 GMC Sierra - May she rest in peace.

Edited by TAZ427

Posted · Report post

After completing the D/T and Calendar, I have found that the Challenge caches are what motivate me. I'm this close :cheers: to completing bubberdad's Well Rounded Geocacher. Ideally I'd finish that before year's end, but I doubt that is going to happen.

I think my goal for 2013 should be to really focus on GBP which I haven't really done much in. Some of the bigger series (elements, etc.) are on my list.

Learning to program a few WhereIGo's has been on my list for awhile. I'd also like to put a Letterbox in Memorial Park (I'm eyeing HC's archiving of Memorial park Mob memorial cache as an opportunity for that to happen). There needs to be a Letterbox in Memorial park. I'd also like to get a WhereIGo there also. probably should get a Multi in there too. I don't think there is one.

My son goes into Boy Scouts in January I will no longer be spending "an hour a week" volunteering as Den Leader, so perhaps that will free up some caching time?? Of course, I just might join the Goat Patrol and still spend more time camping with the Boy Scouts, so additional free time is yet to be determined. On the bright side is new parks to cache in (Enchanted Rock in February!!!)

Oh yeah, that leads to the 2013 goal of being Geocaching Merit Badge Counselor. Guess I'd better start reading up on that.

Also need to get that pathtag project finished.

A new geomoblie that I could put a bike on would be good.

That about sums it up.

Posted · Report post

Here are some of the ones I will strive for:

1. Try not to roll my eyes when I drive up to yet another LPC. ( I failed, this year) ;D

2. Try to subdue my dread of shrubbery caches in a high muggle area. (another failure) :-\

3. I would like to complete the D/T grid (only 2 more to go)

4. Get more counties towards the Texas County Challenge. (need about 100 more) O0

5. Find more of the TxGCC13 Geocache Challenge caches. (@ 44 now) O0

6. Attend at least 1 event each month. :smitten:

7. Find all the caches in George Bush Park. (a constant battle) :laugh:

The Hazelnuts likes this

Posted · Report post

"Try to subdue my dread of shrubbery caches in a high muggle area." Arrrgggg! There is no cache I detest more than these, especially in a CVS parking lot.

Posted · Report post

"Try to subdue my dread of shrubbery caches in a high muggle area." Arrrgggg! There is no cache I detest more than these, especially in a CVS parking lot.

Wait until you see my Pampas Grass series. :blackeye:
CANINE QUEEN likes this

Posted · Report post

In no particular order:

1. Become active in the geocaching community again.
  2. Achieve a 1000 finds. We're currently at 634. We went 580 consecutive days with out find from March of 2009 until October of 2010...not sure why we stopped but we did.
  3. Revive the 9 on 90 series and actually maintain the caches that we have placed.

Happy New Year.

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

1. Reach 1000 finds

2. Attend as many events as possible

3. Overcome my aversion to caches in somebody's front/back yard

4. Try to set some new personal records (total finds in a year, month, day, etc.)

5. Try to find some of the more challenging series around Houston (like some of the CLASPs)

Enjoy geocaching to it's fullest!

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

1. Get up to 20 states that I've cached in (right now I am at 15).

2. Get closer to finishing Jasmer by reducing the months needed from 22 to 11.

3. Attend a mega event (or two).

4. Go on at least 3 geocaching trips with my husband dangerkitties.

Posted · Report post

A quick look back to the resolutions I posted last December (for 2013)

I still failed miserably on #1 and #2.

#3 success!

#4 success!

#5 success!  up to about 73 or so.

#6 failed

#7 still in progress.... I have 5 more days to get about 12 caches.

How did everyone else do on their resolutions?

Here are some of the ones I will strive for:
1. Try not to roll my eyes when I drive up to yet another LPC. ( I failed, this year) ;D
2. Try to subdue my dread of shrubbery caches in a high muggle area. (another failure) :-\
3. I would like to complete the D/T grid (only 2 more to go)
4. Get more counties towards the Texas County Challenge. (need about 100 more) O0
5. Find more of the TxGCC13 Geocache Challenge caches. (@ 44 now) O0
6. Attend at least 1 event each month. :smitten:
7. Find all the caches in George Bush Park. (a constant battle) :laugh:

Posted · Report post

Lets see:

Complete 4000 caches.

Complete 700 puzzles

Learn to get back in a capsized kayak. :tinfoil:

All doable but doubtful. :blackeye:

Posted · Report post

1.  Meet more Cachers!

2.  Cache in more Countries (currently 4)

3.  Pick up 6 new States (currently 25)

4.  More TX Counties (currently 60)

5.  Get to 100 Cemetery finds

6.  Create an Earth Cache

7.  Introduce more people to geocaching!

1. Reach 1000 finds

2. Attend as many events as possible

3. Overcome my aversion to caches in somebody's front/back yard

4. Try to set some new personal records (total finds in a year, month, day, etc.)

5. Try to find some of the more challenging series around Houston (like some of the CLASPs)

Enjoy geocaching to it's fullest!

Indeed, it's been almost a year since I replied to this post & I am more than pleased with my (caching) accomplishments this year!!

As of 12-26-13 I'm at 1779 finds (which gets my total for 2013 @ 1113)

I attended over 25 events this year, so a definite success on that one too!

I still don't like front-yard caches, but I've managed to find a few that had been done in a cool manner.

New personal records: Longest streak 186 - Best week 58 - Best weekend 37 - Most finds in a Month 166 - Most find types is a day 6 - Fastest 100 finds 13 days - Get a FTF, found 17!

Find some new challenging series: Sure did!!! CLAPS-, Elements-, Presidents- and Warrior-series to name a few!

And last but certainly not least: I finally hid my first cache... and have 18 hides as of today.

Hopefully 2014 will bring a lot more caching fun, cheers!

:cheers:  

Edited by Dhaulaghiri
green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

1. Buy another wig

2. Possible stop going commando all the time :angel:

3. Find more caches

4. Find at least one cache outside of Texas

Posted · Report post

1. Buy another wig

2. Possible stop going commando all the time :angel:

3. Find more caches

4. Find at least one cache outside of Texas

I give a fav point for no. 2   LOL

Baytown Bert likes this

I can't help it.  I spent two years in Southeast Asia.  :yoman:  Curse you Lyndon Johnson!

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

It is interesting to see the variation in geocaching goals.  In 2013 my two goals were to complete the daily geocaching matrix and to make it to 2,000 total finds by my 10th anniversary of geocaching.  Both were accomplished.

For 2014 my goals are to find the 22  solved puzzle caches I've neglected to look for and to add three more countries: Netherlands, Germany, and France to my list.  I'd also like to complete another challenging series like the one I did a few years ago (Endurance Series at Brazos Bend State Park).  Power trails do not appeal to me.  No annual number goals as I'm not in to that.

TexasWriter likes this

Posted · Report post

These are my new year's goals for geocaching:

1) Work on finding the caches near my house.  Specifically, I would like to see the first page of unfound caches be further than 3 miles from home.  Right now, we have ten pages of unfound caches within 3 miles.  Slackers!  Many of those in my area are puzzles, so I started actually solving some in September.  I haven't gone looking for a lot of them, but I have loaded the final coords on the GPS.  Solving more each week.

2) Catch up to my brother and cookcachers.  There was a summer we were all neck and neck in cache finds, but then they got way ahead of me.  We haven't cached that much this year compared to previous years, but I want to change that this year.  More caching!

3) Clear out the parks in the Houston area.   I have a list of ones I want to work on this year, and dates I plan to go to them - I am going to host events at them when I do, I think, so we can have a chance to work on that in a group.  I really enjoy the friendships I made through geocaching, and events are one way to build on those. 

4) Bring back the Golden Ammo can to SouthEast Texas by leading our team to a victory this year!  I think we can do this!  I know we have the best team - now we need to bring that team out with a strategy that capitalizes on our strengths.

5) Go back to Utah and claim a find on Potters Pond, the grandfather cache that Jason held us back from due to safety precautions.  More grandfather caches and western road trip adventures.

Dhaulaghiri and georeyna like this

Posted · Report post

Looks like I'm gonna have to start caching again! :laugh:

My goal for the year was to finish my 366 day matrix, which I did on Dec. 26th!

Goals for 2014 - 5000 finds, hide some around Spring, attend the TC again this year, work on D/T matrix.- not very ambitious, but I am a bit of a slacker... 

cachestacker and georeyna like this

Posted · Report post

I don't know if they were goals at the start of 2013, but my accomplishments were:

1500+ finds in the year, my most ever

Attended the Block Party and got 11 cache types in a day

Also found 5 old caches in the Pacific NW that filled in holes in my Jasmer grid.

Logged 83 benchmarks and got FTF on cachestacker's Benchmarks Types Challenge

Cleared out all of the kayak caches around Baytown (still have some CLAPS to go)

...and the year ain't over yet!

My goals for 2014 are to clear out more of my "perimeter" -- I still have 49 unfound caches within 10 miles of my home coordinates

Make a dent in the GBP caches while the weather is cool.

Maybe not in 2014 but I really want to get the last cache needed for the Jasmer Challenge.

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

Goals for 2014 - hide some around Spring

I fully support this goal   O0  :)

georeyna likes this

Posted · Report post

Okay.  Here are a few of my goals for 2014:

1.  Complete the Double Fizzy Challenge

2.  Find more benchmarks

3.  Find more Kayak caches.  We have the North part of CLAPS to do, then Cedar Bayou, and the Highlands, plus the Woodlands.

4.  Try to get the 3 remaining states that we haven't cached ... Hawaii, California, and Oregon.

georeyna and TexasWriter like this