Two-way radios, anyone?

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Wikipedia (i know it's not gospel) says channel two on the FRS/GMRS is usually used by geocachers to find others. anybody know anything about this or use two-ways?

bought a handful of them for jeeping recently but since i have them might as well bring one when i cache.

Posted · Report post

Never heard of that before, but then I don't do a lot with radios.

Eagle

Posted · Report post

Wikipedia (i know it's not gospel) says channel two on the FRS/GMRS is usually used by geocachers to find others. anybody know anything about this or use two-ways?

bought a handful of them for jeeping recently but since i have them might as well bring one when i cache.

I've got a pair of FRS radios, but I never heard the channel two was "geocacher central." Since cell phone coverage has become so universal, I seldom use them any more, but in the past, when my wife would accompany me, we'd use them to keep in touch in some situations.

Posted · Report post

A long time ago I read about a channel for geocachers but I can't recall where I read it or which channel it was.

Posted · Report post

Actually Garmin used to make a GPS with a built in FRS radio. You just have to get on the same channel. They are not used at the Texas Challenge because of the fear of eavesdropping.

Posted · Report post

Actually Garmin used to make a GPS with a built in FRS radio. You just have to get on the same channel. They are not used at the Texas Challenge because of the fear of eavesdropping.

They still do... http://sites.garmin.com/rino/

Posted · Report post

I think the dummies guide to geocaching says that. Must have been a legacy thing before gps's commonly had 4G LTE radios and support for hypertext markup language over internet protocol/transmission control protocol.

Posted · Report post

I think for one of the previous renditions of the Texas Challenge, we tried to use FRS radios, but the range was just not good enough. Channels were assigned to each team. It might have been the one at Cedar Hill (2005) or Inks Lake (2006).

I've got a pair of FRS radios, but I never heard the channel two was "geocacher central." Since cell phone coverage has become so universal, I seldom use them any more, but in the past, when my wife would accompany me, we'd use them to keep in touch in some situations.

Posted · Report post

I think for one of the previous renditions of the Texas Challenge, we tried to use FRS radios, but the range was just not good enough. Channels were assigned to each team. It might have been the one at Cedar Hill (2005) or Inks Lake (2006).

Yes I remember i=using one at Cedar Hill

Posted · Report post

We also tried walkie-walkies at Brazos Bend without much luck. Group messaging works so much better.

Posted · Report post

We also tried walkie-walkies at Brazos Bend without much luck. Group messaging works so much better.

We even had a difficult time trying to get people to use texting instead of calling. Today no one would even think of calling.