Sign in to follow this  
Baytown Bert

Oregon 450 crashing on boot

Baytown Bert    1,117

This morning, I loaded up an area close to Webster from GSAK into my Oregon 450 and when I went to boot it up close to the first geocache, it loaded halfway and shut-off. Repeated attempts had the same results. After fumbling around a bit with C:geo in the woods, I gave up and came home. I repeated the initial steps with GSAK and it failed even faster. I used Garmin's webupdater, found one firmware update, exported my data to Base camp, etc, etc and it fails very fast now. Is it toast? Is there a way to reset it, without booting it?

georeyna    108

Funny.... I have had the exact same problem with my 62sx garmin. I will load the garmin with caches, head out to the area I want to cache and then there would be a failure in the field. I have started to upload my garmin and check my garmin before heading out to cache. If my garmin fails, it still shows the GPX file in the file, it just will not load up. Weird...

Baytown Bert    1,117

Exactly, Elisa and that is what I told my Bride. I need to always turn it on and let it boot up at the House BEFORE I drive all the way out there. I'll be honest, using the Smartphone is a real pain in the caboose as a primary GPSr for me. it's great to augment my Garmin though, She has a Galaxy nexus just like I do and both of us learned something today, but we also had a high degree of failure, not trusting the coords it pointed to. If my Oregon says I am close, I am danged close.

HoustonControl    1,046

I've had the 62s not recognize a GPX file I've loaded, even though it shows to be on the device, so I always try to boot it up and check the map for caches before heading out. I've never had it just not boot up at all, though.

cachestacker    736

My Oregon 450 did that, but would never get to a point of being able to update anything. Had to send it back in and they sent me another.

Now, before I load anything on mine I delete the old GPX first and then add the new one. I then make sure it takes. Sometimes it does not.

This may sound strange, but the customer support told me to try this. If the GPX file is on the GPS but the GPS is not recognizing the GPX file, delete it. Take out the memory chip and boot it up. Turn it off. Put chip back in. Boot it up. Turn it off. Load it. Boot it up. This process clears the GPSs little memory and it seems to fix it.

I wish they'd figure it out and do a firmware update to fix it.

Baytown Bert    1,117

At first, it got halfway through the loading process and then went blank. Now, I see the word GARMIN, then the copy-write info at the bottom, then a burst and it goes blank.

Baytown Bert    1,117

Recovery #1 -- Forced USB Mass Storage Mode (only available in release 2.85 and after)

If your Oregon freezes during the startup process (i.e. Loading Maps...), and you've just loaded new maps or new gpx files then it could be the new files which are causing the problem. This procedure forces the unit into USB Mass Storage mode so that you can delete (or rename) these files. Follow these steps to recover:

1 Attach the Oregon to your computer via USB cable

2 The Oregon will power on and start to boot, immediately power the unit off while still connected

3 Power on the Oregon and continue to hold down the power button for 30 seconds

4 The Oregon should enter USB mass storage mode

5 From your computer remove or rename any gpx, map files (.img or .kmz) files that were recently added

6 Unplug the Oregon and power on to see if this remedies the problem

During step 3) you should only see the Garmin banner for 30 seconds followed immediately by the graphic that shows a computer connected to a GPS. If you see any other text such as your custom banner, banners for loading maps, waypoints, etc then you have not held down the power button long enough.

Worked like a charm!

• Like 1

georeyna    108

Exactly, Elisa and that is what I told my Bride. I need to always turn it on and let it boot up at the House BEFORE I drive all the way out there. I'll be honest, using the Smartphone is a real pain in the caboose as a primary GPSr for me. it's great to augment my Garmin though, She has a Galaxy nexus just like I do and both of us learned something today, but we also had a high degree of failure, not trusting the coords it pointed to. If my Oregon says I am close, I am danged close.

I do use my iphone as my secondary caching device but as of late, and with the cloud cover, I find my self bailing instead of finding the cache. My iphone can get down to 8 feet but when you area standing in front of tree and major brush coverage, you are on your own after that. Now a lamp post, the iphone can find, but in a field or forest area, it can be tough.

cachestacker    736

Glad that worked for you, Bert. When mine was freezing up and I had to send it back in it would never get to the point I could do the hard reset - and there was another reset method, too, pushing on the screen in a certain spot or something. That said, Garmin customer service was first class.

• Like 1

Baytown Bert    1,117

Well, anyone with one of these models grab a copy of the above instructions and put it in your document folder. It might work on the 62 models also. It appears it was going into USB mode, but looked like it was crashing.

Great Birds    33

I have had do do the file removal trick several times whit my 62st. Sometimes just removing the latest files doesn't solve the problem so I've had to delete all map files, including the topo maps that came on the unit, all GPX and GPI files. After stripping it bare, it has always booted and then worked after re-installing the maps and creating a new GPX. It is a real pain and frustratingly time consuming when I am otherwise ready to leave on a trip. But it is worse to get out and have the 62 fail to boot, which happened a few times. So now I always update the night before if I am leaving early in the morning.

Just another thing about my 62 that makes the iPhone an easier GPSr and one that is just as good for finding caches. Garmin needs to ditch its proprietary OS and switch to a cheap ARM processor with a thin version of Android.

Team 150%    4

Resuscitating (sp) old post as it saved my Oregon 450t.  I had tried both methods Bert (computer reboot) and cachestacker (finger in corner reboot) already with no success.  I was about to give up when I found this post so I decided to try a combination of the two.  Who knows why and I still can't explain how but it worked.

Josh

Baytown Bert    1,117

I have a love hate relationship with Garmin in General and the touchscreen models in particular.  My Oregon 650 routinely locks up at least once everything I go geocaching. I have to remove the cover and take out a battery to reset it.

cachestacker    736

Glad it worked for you, Josh.  I know it's a PITA and I've had to send the unit back in to Garmin and they have swapped it out for a refurbished unit before -- all right before a trip.  I just got a 650 now and have not had the issues Bert has had (so far, knock on wood) but I'm not as hard-core as he is.  So that may explain that.