Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Challenges gone kaput?

23 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Dear Geocacher,

In our effort to inspire outdoor play through Geocaching, we are often faced with decisions about what to focus on next, and what to focus on less. It is through these decisions that we explore opportunities to grow the global game of Geocaching.

Occasionally, during this process, we are faced with the reality that certain ideas don't catch on as we had hoped. In these situations we owe it to ourselves and to you to make tough decisions about the future of every project and the resources to be applied to each. Sometimes, as a result, cool features must become casualties.

In this spirit, we have decided to retire Geocaching Challenges.

This means that, effective today, we have disabled the ability to create new Challenges. We have also removed the Challenges application from all mobile application stores. In approxim ately 7 days, we will be removing all traces of the Challenges functionality and related content from Geocaching.com.

On an office wall here at HQ is a sign that reads, "Let's make better mistakes tomorrow." By accepting that we will sometimes get it wrong, we can allow ourselves to learn from and imagine new opportunities in the world of Geocaching. Our hope is we can take the lessons from Challenges and create better tools to guide you on your next adventure.

Sincerely,

Geocaching.com

Posted · Report post

I just got that message myself. I gotta get one more to qualify for Kevin's challenge cache in Galveston. Looks like I will do a World Wide one tomorrow.

Posted · Report post

I just published like 10 challenges. Man that just sucks. I know they were not a big hit but they were just starting to take hold. Oh well.

Posted · Report post

I like them. I think it is another of GC's unwillingness to do what it takes to make a new easy to play and impatience with it member for not picking up a difficult to play game. Just the fact that you could not easily look up all the challenges in the city nor get a GPX made them difficult.

Posted · Report post

Personally, I didn't care too much for most of the challenges.

I think that stopping at Buc-ees and taking a photo of you and the beaver, is not in the spirit of geocaching.

How does that require the use of a GPSr?

At least with the virtuals, you used a GPSr to get there, and then maybe saw something neat or learned something new.

Bring back the virtuals!

Posted · Report post

Challenges reminded me more of locationless caches than virtuals. Except locationless caches actually required a GPSr...

I won't miss them either way.

Posted · Report post

I like to post them in conjunction with a cache as a tool to get people to cool places and score a smilie. I think it is a step backward myself. Heck, GC.com had some silly ones. they should have rempoved them with a letter and waited for feedback before hyper anal-izing the mousetrap.

Posted · Report post

I think that stopping at Buc-ees and taking a photo of you and the beaver...

Can't believe ThaCatfish hasn't jumped on this yet...

I never really got into the Challenges either...they seemed a little too free form and outside the game as I know it. However, they didn't bother me as I just ignored them.

Restoring the ability to publish more webcam caches and virtual caches, however, would be a good thing IMHO.

Posted · Report post

Now we just need to get challenges removed from a couple of challenge caches in the area.

Eagle

Posted · Report post

My personal challenge though. Not a gc.com challenge...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Personally, I didn't care too much for most of the challenges.

I think that stopping at Buc-ees and taking a photo of you and the beaver, is not in the spirit of geocaching.

How does that require the use of a GPSr?

At least with the virtuals, you used a GPSr to get there, and then maybe saw something neat or learned something new.

Bring back the virtuals!

leave-it-to-beaver-7.jpg Edited by SockPuppet

Posted · Report post

I was curious why they launched challenges to begin with.

If you walk down the hall at GroundSpeak you will find something called a Waymark. (I'm not sure if it is really down the hall, could be around the corner) A Waymark and a Challenge are the same thing. If you liked challenges, go to waymarking.

I'm sure I am not saying anything that anyone doesn't all ready know, but I thought I'd say it any way.

Posted · Report post

I didn't know that., but there are a lot of things I don't know. Learn something new every day on here.

Posted · Report post

If you walk down the hall at GroundSpeak you will find something called a Waymark. (I'm not sure if it is really down the hall, could be around the corner) A Waymark and a Challenge are the same thing. If you liked challenges, go to waymarking.

I'm sure I am not saying anything that anyone doesn't all ready know, but I thought I'd say it any way.

Waymarks and Challenges are not the same. They are close. A challenge requires a pic for verification. Waymarks require nothing. Waymarks are another one of groundspeaks lost ideas.

Posted · Report post

LOL I didn't know that. Learn something new every day on here.

Posted · Report post

<snip?

Cachers have been asking for virtual caches to be brought back for as long as I can remember. Groundspeak finally gave the impression they were going to bring them back. What we got were challenges.

Posted · Report post

I had 4 good challenges that would have been popular if time would have been on my side.