Critters seen while caching

539 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

LOL  Maybe the ones chasing y'all were hybrids?  I was stung 5 times in the back earlier this year by Africanized wasps.  :laugh:

GASTX likes this

Posted · Report post

All honey bees have barbs on their stingers that stay in your skin (hence the "only sting once" saying).  However, the stinger can keep pumping venom into you after the bee has left, so you got to get them out.

Most European honey bees ("regular" bees) are only interested in protecting their hive and will give up after following you for 50' or so -- and you really have to piss them off.  My dad is a beekeeper and I used to mow around the hives all the time with no issues.  As long as I didn't blow grass on the hives or hit them with the hot mower exhaust, that is!

Posted · Report post

They are like bulls, they are aggravated by RED (and certain perfumes)  :)

Posted · Report post

just an FYI for anyone interested... dr confirmed they were Africanized bees this afternoon.  have been sick since Saturday and a new, very painful, lump showed up last night on my head.  figured it was another stinger making it's way out, but turns out the buildup of bee venom is causing my lymph nodes to swell up.  I get to start a wonderful prednisone pack this evening to get me back to my normal.

Posted · Report post

Bummer.  I have a lump of my own on my back about the size of a quarter.  I figure its another spider bite.

Posted · Report post

I may get a chance for revenge on those f..ing bees! Means I will have to don a full bee suit and lead the beekeeper to the hive. Sweet revenge! Hope he bbq's the damm things!

Posted · Report post

they won't bbq them... but I want to get those nasty suckers too.  will let you know which day he's planning when he gets back to me.  if I don't get a chance to go, you have to have pictures.

Posted · Report post

This makes my encounter with Bert's "Killer Bee" at his cache seem like child's play.  :buck2:

Posted · Report post

The desert tortoise is listed as "threatened" under the United States federal Endangered Species Act and is considered “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).  So cool to see one in the wild.

59fbaf56-d573-4c5b-9c82-020a81d04f99.jpg

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

tortoise!!  that would be awesome to come across while out for a cache. 

Posted · Report post

I was caching near Ennis, TX yesterday, and I stuck my face into some tree branches to look for a cache. About a foot from my face was a 4-1/2 - 5-foot rat snake resting on the branch. Scared him (and me) when I stuck my face in there. I then watched him climb the tree very quickly and skillfully until he was about 12 - 15 feet above me and he was comfortable again. Took some pics, made a video, etc., then found the cache. I'm glad he moved since he was guarding it.

10d72e8e-4f57-4b4d-b4eb-7d736d793eb8.jpg

amberita13 and Baytown Bert like this

Posted · Report post

toad.  we think.  he wasn't down low - was about 7 ft up.

Posted (edited) · Report post

post-1387-138170914671_thumb.jpg Little gator about 10-15 ft away trying to horn in on my fishing spot! If you want a gator's undivided attention quickly, just hook a few nice Bass in a short time on top-water flies! I told him to figure out the color and pattern on his own! Gees. [2katz photo] at SETX GANG Octoberfest 2013 while on a brief break from geocaching. Edited by KeyResults

Posted · Report post

Copperhead about chest high in the yaupons last night while H&HBrown and I were FTF hunting at 2:00 a.m. The bad part was that Doug had just pushed his way through those bushes a few seconds earlier, and I had done the same thing a few minutes prior while we expanded our searched for a multi final. Close call....

ec04221e-dc44-4c9c-af88-b711db3922c0.jpg

39ec2ad2-c6d9-48b0-86ad-6362ed2cdd6b.jpg

Posted · Report post

I found myself working after dark one night a few months ago and kept hearing something in the tree behind me. I kissed it off to a squirrel or opossum. When moonlight was no longer sufficient for my task, I retrieved a flashlight and for grins saw a nice Copperhead specimen, 4 ft, curling down the trunk to the leaves below. I tried to give chase (not sure what I would have done if I caught up... DOH!) but it was speedy and easily lost itself in a thicket of brush nearby.

When I think of snakes in trees, I think Python or BOA, but it turns out Copperheads love trees, especially at night.

Posted · Report post

I found myself working after dark one night a few months ago and kept hearing something in the tree behind me. I kissed it off to a squirrel or opossum. When moonlight was no longer sufficient for my task, I retrieved a flashlight and for grins saw a nice Copperhead specimen, 4 ft, curling down the trunk to the leaves below. I tried to give chase (not sure what I would have done if I caught up... DOH!) but it was speedy and easily lost itself in a thicket of brush nearby.

When I think of snakes in trees, I think Python or BOA, but it turns out Copperheads love trees, especially at night.

Well, thank heavens I don't do much night caching. Lol

KeyResults likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

wanted to take this guy home with me, but no bag big enough.  sigh.

75292a35-5aee-4d81-b6c2-cd33a36ea6aa.jpg

Edited by green-eyed

Posted · Report post

Dang lady.  I think it's time you retired those high-heels.  You are bonifide.

green-eyed likes this