Critters seen while caching

533 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A PnG life for me - no chiggers, ticks or PI in two years and I'm OK with that.

Posted · Report post

Don't feel lonely, Bert, I found a tick crawling on me shortly before heading to the Original Stash Plaque in Oregon.  Who knew they had ticks up there?

Posted · Report post

Well try this one on for size.  Spider bite on my leg that I got over 2 weeks ago:  Ain't geocaching fun?

Spiderbite_zpsce212630.jpg

Posted · Report post

Add another Lonestar tick to the mix. I got this one in Anahuac yesterday. That makes 4 for me this year. The spider bite is healing.

Posted · Report post

Last night Syd and I were out at 10:00 p.m. doing the P+ tribute series Rich & Lola put out.  Parked at the nature center in their little turn around and took a walk to one nearby.  As we came back we heard the coyotes going full tilt.  We came back up Bay Area and before we got to the park a coyote ran right in front of the Jeep - quickly made a U-turn and went back into the woods.  In the median was a deer.  We made a U-turn and as we came back it ran in front of the Jeep, this time across the road towards the deer.  Only saw one coyote and one deer. It was Animal Kingdom going on -- right there.

Posted · Report post

powerdog02 and I heard some of the wild hogs today at the clear creek nature center.  only saw as crazy as a confused cicada flying around our heads.

Posted · Report post

Last night Syd and I were out at 10:00 p.m. doing the P+ tribute series Rich & Lola put out.  Parked at the nature center in their little turn around and took a walk to one nearby.  As we came back we heard the coyotes going full tilt.  We came back up Bay Area and before we got to the park a coyote ran right in front of the Jeep - quickly made a U-turn and went back into the woods.  In the median was a deer.  We made a U-turn and as we came back it ran in front of the Jeep, this time across the road towards the deer.  Only saw one coyote and one deer. It was Animal Kingdom going on -- right there.

More wild animals trying to *commit suicide by Jeep*.  Just remembered when we were in the Nevada desert and the jack rabbit kept running towards the mini van, begging for Lola to run over it!! LOL!!

Huff-Suter likes this

Posted · Report post

Kinda like squirrels? Not many mammals respond to an overwhelming threat approaching directly at them at high speed by hopping out in front of it. Talk about your bad decision making skills...

Dhaulaghiri and TexasWriter like this

Posted · Report post

I'm with Kenny on the squirrels, hence the term "squirrely".  The dang tree rats make 40 decisions and the first one was the correct one.

Dhaulaghiri likes this

Posted · Report post

Kinda like squirrels? Not many mammals respond to an overwhelming threat approaching directly at them at high speed by hopping out in front of it. Talk about your bad decision making skills...

How about armadillos that seem to jump up when they are under a speeding car. :uglystupid2:

Posted · Report post

Not seen while caching, but a friend of mine in CA is putting in a new fence and dug crazy deep fence post holes.  They look like 36in deep from the pictures.   A skunk fell in and couldn't get out.  Crazy.

Posted · Report post

This is true. However, I do know a few people who seem to follow this same type of thinking (or not thinking as it may be)...

Posted · Report post

Okay snake people out there - I pulled a snake out of a hole under a tree this afternoon and I have been wondering what it was ever since.  I was light brown/tanish with dark spots.  From the top I could see that the head was pronouncedly triangular - like it had big fat jowls.  It was only about a foot long but it was really interesting looking - not like any snake I've seen.  Any ideas?  I started googling "snakes in houston" and "snakes with triangular heads" and I am going to have nightmares tonight!

Posted · Report post

Okay snake people out there - I pulled a snake out of a hole under a tree this afternoon and I have been wondering what it was ever since.  I was light brown/tanish with dark spots.  From the top I could see that the head was pronouncedly triangular - like it had big fat jowls.  It was only about a foot long but it was really interesting looking - not like any snake I've seen.  Any ideas?  I started googling "snakes in houston" and "snakes with triangular heads" and I am going to have nightmares tonight!

Were the dark spots shaped like Hershey kisses? Did it look like this one? http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/Reptiles/Copperhead/AR0123_1l.jpg

Posted · Report post

Were the dark spots shaped like Hershey kisses? Did it look like this one? http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/Reptiles/Copperhead/AR0123_1l.jpg

The color isn't quite right.  This is more reddish.  It was lighter tan maybe even cream and the spots were smaller and more blackish.  But the head shape looks right. If I were on Law and Order I would be the worst witness!  UHHHHHH????  I dunnnooo!  (said in a very dopey voice!)

Posted · Report post

Did you google it or google image it?  Looking at all the pics may help you find one similar to what you saw.

But WHY would you pull an unknown snake out of a hole?!?!

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

I didn't get to see the snake because I was about 60' away but I will testify to the LOUD, high-pitched scream R2 let out when she met the snake involuntarily.   :D  :D  :D

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

I talked with cacher, HoustonHerp, our resident snake expert, and he said from your description it sounds like a baby Texas rat snake. They are more vividly colored when they are babies, but the colors dull as they grow to an adult snake. He aiso said it is about the time of year for them to be about as long as you said. Anyway, just passing the info along. May want to google that...

Posted · Report post

Sounds like a copperhead to me.  Did it have a yellow tail?

Posted · Report post

Did you google it or google image it?  Looking at all the pics may help you find one similar to what you saw.

But WHY would you pull an unknown snake out of a hole?!?!

Yes, I did some googling and I didn't see anything even close.  That was why I started asking you guys since you are smarter than the internet! 

and I was looking for a cache in the hole and digging out leaves.  Mr. Snake got pulled out with the leaves and high tailed it quickly back into his hole while I entertained Kirbydox with my screaming.