Critters seen while caching

533 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Critters seen while caching...

463679_10200775011490724_763014420_o.jpg

'Nuff said!

Baytown Bert, You know you have to make a *Cletus* cache out of this...this is too funny!!  It could be *Hey Cletus, are them the famous Baytown Quadruplets*  LOL!!!

Laughed my backside off on this one!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Geocaching6-21-1330_zps682dc8e5.jpg

Today in an LPC in Cleveland.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

Seen in February, 2012.    :buck2:  :buck2:  :buck2:

post-211-0-34099700-1371864508_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

The Culls recently had a couple of days in Banff, Alberta, Canada.  There was a porcupine near one cache in Lake Louise.  I also saw a marmot, which looks like a hamster on steroids on Sulfur Mountain, a virtual.  Our timing for this trip was most fortunate.  Calgary is presently suffering from rains and flooding.

Posted · Report post

By now, I've seen so many deer and feral pigs that it seems completely natural when I jump them nowadays (like walking through the living room at home with our 2 dogs, one cat, 1 mouse, 2 guinea pigs, and 2 frogs). However, Jamie and I have had lots of other cool animal encounters while caching. I was signing a log off FM 1960 and an armadillo was trotting along the fence line right toward me and got about 3 or 4 feet away before he realized I was there. I've encountered skunks three times, and I always give them a wide berth (I figure they're holding the winnng hand) and several possum. Jamie and I had a horse walk up to us while we were getting a cache on a fenceline in Waco. Pretty horse...he just wanted some lovin'. On the same trip we had a female lab mix dog approach us and was just as sweet as can be. And still yet on that trip we enountered three ostriches about 60 - 70 feet away. Granted, they were on the other side of a fence and were owned by someone, but one of them had eyes so red that he looked evil (or like my late grandfather after a rough night). I've had too many snake enounters (copperheads, rat snakes, corn snakes, water mocassins, and even one rattler, and then a bunch I couldn't identify. Where'e Herp when I need him? I was actually crouched down in a cemetery one night signing a log with my flashlight on, and the cutest gray field mouse climbed onto the roots of the tree next to me and he just sat there looking at me. I've also seen a couple of coyotes (which is rare), and when I wear my headlamp, it drives the dragonflies nuts and they divebomb me (yes, at night). Now, I can tell you the story about the 11-foot gator that apparently wanted to get in my kayak in a popular kayak caching area, but that's going to require you buying me dinner, because I have to include the part about me yelling like a sissy girl, and that takes a ton of humility to do (but the FTF's were worth it). Wildlife encounters and just plain encountering the God-given marvels of nature on this planet are the biggest joy for me...even bigger than FTF chases (except the ones where I beat Log Dawgs).

Baytown Bert likes this

Seen at Hold the wire  GC4A5FY

3a36bc7a-8774-4bec-b3c2-e98b4475d6f5.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

Copperhead? at the Three Amigos LHWP series recently.  Fell out of the tree and scared me nearly to death.post-1994-0-58513800-1371955124_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

I never think of seeing a copperhead in a tree. Wow.

Posted · Report post

I never think of seeing a copperhead in a tree. Wow.

Maybe the copperhead wasn't used to being in a tree either and that's why it fell out. 

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

Ha ha ha! That's hilarious and cool. Geocahers are the new adventurers.

Posted · Report post

The corroborating fish story is now in place.  Same link.

Posted · Report post

I wasn't there to confirm Rich's critter story, but I heard it in-person and it was a great story.  Too bad he didn't have BB's video camera going at the time.

http://coord.info/GC4AR08

Sounds like Rich and I have both "left our mark" on this new round of CLAPS caches...both on the North series....

Posted · Report post

Dhaulagiri and I saw numerous BIG wiggle snake tracks across the path yesterday on our visit to memorial park.  I was pretty freaked out but handled it until I went to sleep last night and had a nightmare that my children and I were being attacked by snakes.  I woke up covered in sweat and ready to look for LPCs until winter comes.  Then I remembered BB talking about a black widow in a LPC - ugh!!!! 

Posted · Report post

I was at ParkerPlus' Garage No 1 (GC3QXM2) and about 3 inches from a agitated banana spider and the dang thing made a noise at me.  I thought it was imagination until I deliberately got close and it made an aggressive posture and the same odd noise.

IMG_3805_zpse96f4944.jpg

It seems like every CLAPS adventure comes out with a story!

Today, on our way along Spring Gully we decided to stretch out our legs to search for both GC231NN and GC26QNE, when we realized the easiest way between two points was to kayak underneath one of three dark hollows of a bridge to the subdivision. 

Now imagine Indiana Jones fright for snakes translated to fear of spiders, and on all corners of the bridge are dozens of wolf spiders.

Just close your eyes & row, right?!

Well suddenly there's a shriek echoing in the dark because something jumped in the kayak!

It's not a wolf spider...

...it's a shrimp.

:2funny:

post-2034-0-34628500-1375836722_thumb.jp

Edited by amberita13
KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

It seems like every CLAPS adventure comes out with a story!

Today, on our way along Spring Gully we decided to stretch out our legs to search for both GC231NN and GC26QNE, when we realized the easiest way between two points was to kayak underneath one of three dark hollows of a bridge to the subdivision. 

Now imagine Indiana Jones fright for snakes translated to fear of spiders, and on all corners of the bridge are dozens of wolf spiders.

Just close your eyes & row, right?!

Well suddenly there's a shriek echoing in the dark because something jumped in the kayak!

It's not a wolf spider...

...it's a shrimp.

:2funny:

That's funny. I buy those same Rubbermaid drinking cups as you have in your picture (I buy them in batches of 10) and have them stationed all over the house because I drink tons of water. Since they have the straw attached to the lid and it goes all the way to the bottom, I call them my "adult sippy cups" because they remind me of those sippy cups for kids.

Posted · Report post

My Bride and I picked up 4 of these Lonestar ticks over by China, Texas doing ThatdarnDane's caches.

Geocaching8-15-1344_zpsf998b230.jpg