Critters seen while caching

533 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Fortunately spiderwebs can mostly be avoided by keeping an eye out for them and avoiding the spiderweb-season. (I'd really love someone to tell me when that is in Texas :P)

Simple. It starts January 1st and runs until December 31st.

Thanks! I'm sure all of my fears have just been put at ease ;)

Posted · Report post

I showed HoustonHerp my spider photo today and I think he positively identified my spider as a Bola spider.

Posted · Report post

I saw this little fella protecting a cache a few months ago. I'm not sure if he would have bitten me but he looked like he was about ready to leap for my jugular at any second.

d3d190ef-967d-4b43-9dc4-00902591cd76.jpg

A few years back I was attempting a night cache near a cemetery in Bosque County. I found a couple of the reflectors, but lost the trail. I wandered a bit, shining my light around until I spotted something glinting back at me from 50 yards away. The reflector didn't look very big, but it was pretty bright so I figured the firetack was partially obscured by a leaf or something. I walked all the way up to it, only to find my light was reflecting off the eye of a spider similar to the one in this picture! It was freaky bright!

Never did find the cache.

Posted · Report post

I remember taking my Girl Scout troop on spider hunts at night because you could see their eyes reflecting back. The girls all thought it was pretty cool.

Posted · Report post

We saw lots of spider eyes on the CLAPS Night Paddle Event, too. And on the Owl Prowl at Armand Bayou Nature Center, they took the scouts on the deck over the grass prairie and you could see zillions of the green wolf spider eyes shining back. It pretty much made me never want to walk in the grass again.

Posted · Report post

Back during the Texas Challenge 2007, (Brazos Bend) when we were walking back from the night cache, we shined the light into the water and saw dozens upon dozens of gator eyes staring back at us. Let me just say that after seeing that, we made the remaining trip as a huddled mass.

Posted · Report post

Fortunately spiderwebs can mostly be avoided by keeping an eye out for them and avoiding the spiderweb-season. (I'd really love someone to tell me when that is in Texas :P)

Dhaulagahri,

George Bush Park will introduce you to every critter known to man. Alligators, snakes, ferral pigs, spiders, ants coyote's, night time ninjas...just to name a few. You will get use to it..spider on you shoulder will not scare you anymore, you will ask if it will join you for the hike! You will see a snake and instead of running, you will stand there and stare at it...like all the Houston Geocachers do, we all stand around it and poke at it. :2funny: True story!!

Two words of advice. Practice your climbing tree skills, just incase a ferral pig charges at you and if you see an alligator (and it is looking at you like you will be his noon time meal)...run, don't stand there and take pictures of it like Criffree, turn yourself around and run!! LOL!!

Posted · Report post

Dhaulagahri,

George Bush Park will introduce you to every critter known to man. Alligators, snakes, ferral pigs, spiders, ants coyote's, night time ninjas...just to name a few. You will get use to it..spider on you shoulder will not scare you anymore, you will ask if it will join you for the hike! You will see a snake and instead of running, you will stand there and stare at it...like all the Houston Geocachers do, we all stand around it and poke at it. :2funny: True story!!

Two words of advice. Practice your climbing tree skills, just incase a ferral pig charges at you and if you see an alligator (and it is looking at you like you will be his noon time meal)...run, don't stand there and take pictures of it like Criffree, turn yourself around and run!! LOL!!

Snakes & Gators don't scare me too much, I'm quite positive I know what to do when I'd encounter one. But as for spiders, it's just a personal thing, just hate the creepers.

And my tree-climbing skills fortunately are quite up to par, LOL.

Posted · Report post

Or just cache with someone slower than you. Then you only have to outrun THEM. :2funny:

I'd love to hatch on to this plan, but most of the time it's my wife caching with me.... and I did marry her by choice..... :angel:

Posted · Report post

Rules to live by, all snakes are poisonous and along with all spiders are demons. That should be a third category in addition to difficulty and terrain, likelihood of demon snakes/spiders.

Posted · Report post

Some snakes are VENOMOUS, but it is okay to eat them, as none of them are poisonous. LOL

Posted (edited) · Report post

On a serious note, we basically have 3 snakes to fear, or be aware of: Copperhead, Cottonmouth, and Coral. Learn to recognize them on youtube or one of the many pages on the Internet. I've heard talk of rattlesnakes here, but never seen or heard one (here) and I'm in the woods a lot.

Next, we have a myriad of stinging insects -all bad, especially if you are allergic to stings. Then there are ticks. Chiggers are a nuisance, but not in the same categoory as the others. I want to add the pus caterpiller too.

Our two bad and dangerous spiders are the black widow and brown recluse. Both look heinous, so anyone with a degree of caution will recognize them as bad.

Edited by Baytown Bert
KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

On a serious note, we basically have 3 snakes to fear, or be aware of: Copperhead, Cottonmouth, and Coral. Learn to recognize them on youtube or one of the many pages on the Internet. I've heard talk of rattlesnakes here, but never seen or heard one (here) and I'm in the woods a lot.

Next, we have a myriad of stinging insects -all bad, especially if you are allergic to stings. Then there are ticks. Chiggers are a nuisance, but not in the same categoory as the others. I want to add the pus caterpiller too.

Our two bad and dangerous spiders are the black widow and brown recluse. Both look heinous, so anyone with a degree of caution will recognize them as bad.

I guess we can also think about the worst critter we have encountered. Number one worse critter...chiggers. How can an insect so tiny cause so much misery!!

Posted · Report post

Or just cache with someone slower than you. Then you only have to outrun THEM. :2funny:

Or, when you see a family of ferral pigs walking through the forest, turn around and trample your geocaching buddy as you try to escape!! True story...ok, said geocacher was not totally trampled but told me to *slow down and stand still*. We had a staring contest with the pigs and thank the geo-gods, the pigs ran off!! Or was it us...I just remember running!!

Posted · Report post

I guess we can also think about the worst critter we have encountered. Number one worse critter...chiggers. How can an insect so tiny cause so much misery!!

Have to agree. And the worst part is you don't even know you're being attacked until it's too late. At least you can see most of the other threats first.

georeyna and Baytown Bert like this

Posted · Report post

I concur. If Chiggers aren't high on your list of pests to avoid, you just haven't had em bad enough...This year was like no other in my memory for Chiggers.

georeyna and Baytown Bert like this

Posted · Report post

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/3c18a226-637d-4fa1-ba9b-84639d40211f.jpg<br /><br />Here is one that hasn't really been covered - enough. Wasp nests suspened in bushes and tall grass. With the weather in full summer mode, these pests can be almost anywhere we roam and in places we do not suspect. More than one geocacher has been stung numerous times by bublebees coming up out of their underground nests too. Yup, that is where bumblebees live - in holes in the ground. HoustonControl was hit five times visiting a cache I eneded up moving, as was Latitude-Attitude.

Posted · Report post

Several years ago, Debbie of Terratrekkers and I were caching on the southeast side of town and got chased all the way back to the car by very mad bees.  She got stung and that was the end of our caching day.   I've also gotten stung caching  with Stan which made me miserable for the rest of our outing. 

Posted · Report post

During one of our early caching trips to the DFW area--it was March and relatively cool--Tealcat was retrieving the cache and signing the log when she noticed a LOT of bees buzzing around her.  As I said, it was cold, and the bees weren't really aggressive, but we got the heck out of there without getting stung.  The cache has since been moved and the description includes pictures of the bee tree.  http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC24DKV

Posted · Report post

Critters seen while caching...

463679_10200775011490724_763014420_o.jpg

'Nuff said!

Baytown Bert, You know you have to make a *Cletus* cache out of this...this is too funny!!  It could be *Hey Cletus, are them the famous Baytown Quadruplets*  LOL!!! 

Baytown Bert and Dhaulaghiri like this

Posted · Report post

If I didn't already know who was in the group, I'm not sure that I would have recognized 2Katz in the red hair.   That's an awesome picture.  Never a dull moment with Bert in the group.