Baytown Bert

Critters seen while caching

541 posts in this topic

I'm posting this here because I think there are likely lots of camera buffs.

I am SO FREAKING MAD!! For the second time in two weeks I have taken 50 or more photos with my Canon SX20 and only 10 or so are being saved to the memory card. None of the ones I took yesterday are there and about 1/2 of the ones I took today. My question is, is it the memory card or the camera? I'm not getting any kind of error message. HELP!

Try a new memory card.  Shoot 10 photos in a row and see if they are there.  If not, its the camera.

Bert's right.  Digital film is cheap!  Shoot about 1000 frames.   Just record the first number and the last number do the math and make sure there are that many pictures on the card.

My only other thought is that it could be both....  Flash memory has a limited number of times that you can write to it, but it is crazy big.  Way bigger than an average Joe (or Jane) could exceed with a point and shoot camera.  But.... an infinitesimal chance could exist that the camera software has a bug and is writing to more often than expected (by orders of magnitude) to the memory.  In that case, the camera could have worn out the memory card.  I've only seen this happen once and it wasn't a camera.

By the way, I know exactly how you feel.  When I went to philmont in 1986 I took 26 rolls of film (110) that didn't turn out because of a hardware issue with the cheap camera I had.  The processing cost was three times what a new camera would have been, but of course I didn't know until weeks after the trip.  It was a life changing event... to this day, I tend to buy high end equipment for camping and the outdoors.

Went out caching w/Hans at GBP today & this guy was front & center on our way to a cache:

Aaagghh!!!! 

It was all but 3 inches long!

Jhawk! likes this

I was out caching the other evening (a FTF opportunity popped up and I couldn't resist) and had to stop for an armadillo who decided to cross the road--no pictures though.

Jhawk! likes this

I haven't seen this critter yet, but I'm on the lookout

You better steer clear of it. I hear that animal has a strange ability to influence / control the male of that species. :)

Somewhat surprised GC would allow that.

Jhawk! likes this