Baytown Bert

Critters seen while caching

541 posts in this topic

http://coord.info/GC57Q4X  My Bride and I walked up to the heavily overgrown area only to encounter deep growling in the bushes in front of us.  We backed out very quickly and two scraggly abandoned dogs limped out.  Seeing they were starving, we emptied out everything edible for them, plus water.  We called every possible animal control agency, but seeing it is out in Liberty County, no one will take responsibility for the poor animals, so I called the CO, MarineBuck.  He assured me he would rescue the dogs if there is any possible way.  My Bride cried most of the way home over these poor animals.  People need to realize turning a domesticated animal loose in the country dooms them to starvation.  This was off of 1950 on FM615 between Dayton and Huffman.

lost_peros_zps805f6f39.jpg

Which is exactly how I ended up with (at one time) 7 dogs! Hence, Canine Queen!

1 person likes this

Here are some birds seen while caching NM/West Texas:

(links to Cornell online due to all personal pictures too big to attach + quality was ehhh anyway)

Above seen while walking to What State Are We In? at NM/TX border

Both above seen while looking for Spider in my Room cache in Alamagordo, NM

A complete shock crossing the road as we were leaving our KOA in Carlsbad on our way to Carlsbad Caverns

All the below birds seen while in Davis Mountain SP (which BTW has an awesome bird blind/"Interpretive Center")

My husband spotted like 4 road runners in a 10 mile span;

this is not including birds commonly seen in our part of Texas either

1 non-bird by the Davis Mountains SP official cache:

IMG_0313.jpg

Oh! & I've been told this is Batman  :lol:

(My other half & I did the "Hall of the Great White Giant" tour at Carlsbad Caverns)

IMG_0267.jpg

1 person likes this

Last week, after hiking part of the Nevada Star at night and driving back to a spot on a National Forest road we had picked out for camping, we had several jack rabbits jumping across the road in front of us.  It made us wonder how many we had passed while hiking that stayed hidden.  We probably passed many snakes, too.  BTW, caching at night in the desert with solar LED lights pointing the way was awesome.

Ran across this guy a while back in Challenger Park.  He or she's a juvenile water moccasin, though he was some distance from the water.

post-35-0-00485700-1405610488_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Found this one long ago at at a babslover cache near a bridge where I10 crosses Old River.  He's at least 15 feet.

post-35-0-79373800-1405611365_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

There's been some gator sightings recently at one of my caches in Sugarland, http://coord.info/GC51XYZ.

aa7c492b-d49c-44a3-b73b-d7af382c46d5.jpg

2ac5e272-2160-4ea5-904d-b2a372a05a88.jpg

Edited by ~windknot~
1 person likes this

I saw a white squirrel in Highland Park in Baton Rouge last Sunday. I'm determined to get a pic of that little dude.

2 people like this

Eye Click Beetle.  Difficult to get a good shot because it kept moving.  Several of them at 

7...LTGTR... 'The Stretch'   http://coord.info/GC4PKJM

53ea767c-53fe-470f-b6b6-167cd88151f7.jpg

Supposedly, a man saw a 6-7 foot cottonmouth at the Baytown Nature Center today.

While out caching in Katy, this morning, we were greeted by a plethora of hungry ducks.  

14da294a-94dc-445b-8d92-564319c71b16.jpg

3 people like this

My mom called me this afternoon and wanted me to come over and look at some "giant wasps" to figure out what they are.  I told her to snap a picture of them and email it to me.  I had no real reference for how "huge "these were from her picture.  But looking at the coloring, etc. I determined they were called cicada killers.  That, in and of itself, is a little scary.  These have been flying into her screened in porch area and she killed them with some sort of wasp spray.

I met her for dinner tonight and she gave these to me.  So I took a picture with a reference for size.  The article says they're not dangerous to humans and rarely ever sting.  The even show some idiot holding one -- with a cicada in its grasps.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

The stinger on the ones on the top show well in the picture.  This goes in my big category of of Nopes.

bf9f0a89-4244-4f07-9bb9-13a9c720497b.jpe

Edited by cachestacker

Cicada killer wasps.  Basically harmless to humans.

At least the mules will know the way home!

post-671-0-05184200-1409529690_thumb.jpg

Edited by CANINE QUEEN
3 people like this

Looks like a cat.  You should name him "Bob".

3 people like this

Spotted a "Cow Killer" ant (actually, a wingless wasp) on the trail today near Pirate's Booty.  I remember seeing them all the time when I was a kid, but not so much in recent years.

43625b63-c272-42cd-b938-aa942d492e2e.jpg

How did you manage to get it to slow down enough to get a photo?

How did you manage to get it to slow down enough to get a photo?

He (she?) was boogieing along pretty good, but I managed to snap a couple with the iPhone that weren't blurry.

Also saw many when a kid.

post-35-0-66715800-1412947134_thumb.jpg

Y'all saw the same cow killer all those years apart in the exact same spot?!?!

1 person likes this

Sure, aren't you familiar with quantum entanglement?

I thought that only happened at work.  Wait.  I'm thinking of Groundhog's Day.  Nevermind.

We always called them velvet ants and steered clear of them.

I almost stuck my head in this web while cahcing in Hong Kong.  I think it is a Great Wood Spider.   It was huge!

post-931-0-32434300-1413524970_thumb.jpg