Critters seen while caching

533 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

post-2324-139114742354_thumb.jpg

Was trying to find a few caches in Bear Creek Park and came across this fellow!

Posted · Report post

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1391147425.211210.jpg

From the coloring, it looks like a Broad Banded Water Snake (non-poisonous).  It's often mistaken for a cottonmouth.  Better to err on the safe side.

Posted · Report post

Posted ImageImageUploadedByTapatalk1391147425.211210.jpg

From the coloring, it looks like a Broad Banded Water Snake (non-poisonous). It's often mistaken for a cottonmouth. Better to err on the safe side.

I wasn't sure so I stopped my daughter (who is 4yrs old) from going farther into the woods. I am TERRIFIED of snakes non-poisonous or poisonous!! Lol!

Posted (edited) · Report post

this was not a cat, kitten or a cache container out in liberty county today

16cfe319-cf32-4b61-bd19-eb006953409d.jpg

Edited by green-eyed

Posted · Report post

I spotted a hawk eating a pigeon at a cache in Austin yesterday.  He hopped and fluttered away from me as fast as he could while keeping his catch in his talons.  Wish I had my camera with me!

green-eyed likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Green-eyed's pic > rat snake. I've seen more of those while caching than any other snake. My wife and I walked up on one that was about 4-1/2 long at my Warriors 040. It's also what I posted a pic of that was climbing the tree near Ft. Worth. I really dislike snakes, but I'm getting where I almost like this type. I see them almost as much as I see other cachers on the trail.

Edited by TexasWriter

Posted · Report post

After my wife and I grabbed an FTF last night, we saw a small rat scampering up and down some branches in a tree nearby. I guess we disturbed his late night foraging...

Posted · Report post

Green-eyed's pic > rat snake. I've seen more of those while caching than any other snake. My wife and I walked up on one that was about 4-1/2 long at my Warriors 040. It's also what I posted a pic of that was climbing the tree near Ft. Worth. I really dislike snakes, but I'm getting where I almost like this type. I see them almost as much as I see other cachers on the trail.

thanks for the ID.  juleed and I both have the same opinion...a snake is a snake and we'll leave it alone if it leaves us alone.  He wasn't little and had a friend.

Posted · Report post

thanks for the ID.  juleed and I both have the same opinion...a snake is a snake and we'll leave it alone if it leaves us alone.  He wasn't little and had a friend.

I'm slowly but surely learning my snakes better thanks to Houston Herp. If you have a pic of any snake and want an ID, he's your man. I actually met him several years before becoming a geocacher when he did a snake show up at Jesse Jones Park. He was holding a Burmese python and my daughter (who was three at time) was trying to ask him a question. She was reaching up and putting her hand on his arm (the "interrupt rule" that we had taught her) and the python was checking her out, bumping his nose on her chest, arm, head, neck, etc. She was oblivious....I was mortified.

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

10z24ht.jpg

I saw this huge ant hill while caching in Cullinan Park on Friday.

It was literally an ant hill.

Posted · Report post

I think that is an Indian burial ground ant hill, but I might be wrong...

Posted · Report post

I can handle mice.  Might jump at something crawling around at night first, but that's better than slithery snake or big hairy spider IMO.

Posted · Report post

...sitting on top of a .50 cal ammo can late last night when I pulled back the camo covering. They almost seemed domesticated.

Actually, I believe it's hibernation... 

Posted · Report post

Well that would explain why they were shuffling around like thorazine patients in their slippers. They definitely were not in any hurry to get away from me.

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Whenever I see the hogs in the wild, I always like it when they are running away from me rather than toward me. No different in this case. Lol

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

Saw these 3 feral hogs while geocaching today.

Geocaching2-21-141_zps34dcc758.jpg

They look vicious!!! 

Posted · Report post

this was not a cat, kitten or a cache container out in liberty county today

A snake in a tree..... my worst nightmare!! Shudder!!!