Critters seen while caching

533 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I don't know *tick* what you're *tick* talking about.  :notme:  :crazy2:

I do have some baby rat jaws that I want to make a mold of and then cast in silver.  Seriously.  I just need my studio set up again and functional.  What would this one be?  Nutria?  The teeth were wicked.

Posted · Report post

I don't know *tick* what you're *tick* talking about.  :notme:  :crazy2:

I do have some baby rat jaws that I want to make a mold of and then cast in silver.  Seriously.  I just need my studio set up again and functional.  What would this one be?  Nutria?  The teeth were wicked.

Hmmmm, seems to like skulls, etc. Maybe time to check Google maps and see if there are any signs of fresh digging in your backyard. :dig:

Posted · Report post

only digging you'll see in my yard is for veggies and herbs.

Posted · Report post

herbs.

:coolsmiley:

yeah...goes back to those funny brownies clanstan asked about... rosemary would taste a bit funny in a brownie...

GASTX likes this

Posted · Report post

They're not that bad.  You could probably even do them in a dress.  I'd leave the heels at home though.

Posted · Report post

CornDoll and I were in Wichita Falls doing the virtual cache by the falls/river, and we had finished and were walking back up the sidewalk toward where we had parked. A couple was walking down the hill on the sidewalk toward us. I guess they flushed a coyote out of the nearby brush with their presence, because all of a sudden this very large coyote came crashing out of the brush, ran straight down the hill and past us (about 20 feet from us), jumped across the falls area (he didn't clear it, but he knew just where to land), and ran up the hill on the other side of the falls. I've never seen one that close before. We all just looked at each other like "What the hell just happened?" The coyote is probably typing a log right now in a discussion thread called "Humans Seen While Trying to be Stealthy in the Wild" or something like that. Freaky stuff...

Dhaulaghiri and CornDoll like this

Posted · Report post

Last night I checked a place for a cache that I knew was way far off.  But just in case.  Glad I didn't stick my fingers in scouring for a nano before looking.  There were two in there.  Smaller diameter than a husky pencil - or maybe up to that size.  Cross beam of an electrical box.

34426e04-9c70-412c-8f4a-625a4f876049.jpg

915586be-c0a1-4b25-827f-93f9435ffe6d.jpg

Posted · Report post

and that's why i'm happy I didn't place a nano in there.  or even think of placing it there.

Posted · Report post

CornDoll and I were in Wichita Falls doing the virtual cache by the falls/river, and we had finished and were walking back up the sidewalk toward where we had parked. A couple was walking down the hill on the sidewalk toward us. I guess they flushed a coyote out of the nearby brush with their presence, because all of a sudden this very large coyote came crashing out of the brush, ran straight down the hill and past us (about 20 feet from us), jumped across the falls area (he didn't clear it, but he knew just where to land), and ran up the hill on the other side of the falls. I've never seen one that close before. We all just looked at each other like "What the hell just happened?" The coyote is probably typing a log right now in a discussion thread called "Humans Seen While Trying to be Stealthy in the Wild" or something like that. Freaky stuff...

Had a coyote experience picking up the caches on the FOR series.  Really didn't realize they got so big.  This was around #3 or #4 and I got out and saw him.  He was staring at me, neither of us move for a minute.  He let me snap a good photo - well, 4 bad ones first then a good somewhat better one - and I went to get the cache.  As I got back in the Jeep he slowly took off.  When the door closed, he bolted to the woods but turned around and kept an eye on me. 

Just one I saw. Of course, I had my GeoDog with me.  I'm trying to point out the wild dog to her.  She was clueless -- until I took off.  THEN she sees it from far, far away. 

29f331fd-27e7-4969-a60b-79bff91152af.jpg

Posted · Report post

This dead coyote was under the joshua tree near where we parked to walk to this cache today. GC1AF0T

It must have been recent - no smell or bloating yet.

post-1244-0-15796400-1385959435_thumb.jp

Posted (edited) · Report post

Saw this tarantula while caching along Bitter Springs back roads near Valley of Fire state park in NV.

post-1244-0-61062700-1385961042_thumb.jp

Edited by pindroppers74

Posted · Report post

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1386346687.014434.jpgI saw this cute creature photographing this armored looking Lone Star Beer creature while bike caching T2+P series near Bay Area Park

That creature is known for being pretty bold day or night and very thick-skinned. The armadillo is, too. :)

Posted · Report post

Can you post more photos of the photographer?  Just sayin'...  :angel:

Posted · Report post

I went down Ferry Road in Baytown to check on one of my caches and scared an otter out of the bushes.  It swam a bit under water, then popped up to see what I was.  It was beautiful, but too fast for me to switch my GPSr to photo mode.

Posted · Report post

it wasn't a full critter anymore... but saw what remained this morning during an FTF run...

faad29de-50d8-4ec0-a161-f8a36e888538.jpg

Posted · Report post

post-1387-139068579353_thumb.jpg

Awww. Not often we get so close to one of these without serious consequences!!

Seen on AKC series The Woodlands TX

His name was Pepe. Pepe le Pew as I recall. ;)

TexasWriter, Dhaulaghiri and Jhawk! like this

Posted · Report post

We weren't sure if this was a bobcat or a deer but we're going with bobcat since it's more exciting. ;-)  Element series on Addicks Reservoir, between Barker Cypress and Greenhouse. 

20131229_122923_zps164f4c71.jpg

20131229_122929_zps1d8a5a18.jpg

Posted · Report post

I saw my first and only skunk in the wild while doing the Elements series.  We watched very carefully which direction it was heading to make sure we didn't have a too close encounter with it.  It was near the furthest cache of the group that we had done that day and I was going to be very irritated if it caused us not to be able to get to a cache and have to come all the way back later.  

Jhawk! likes this