Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Best Verizon Smartphone for geocaching?

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I am fiddin' to take the leap. Which Verizon available Smartphone is best for geocaching?

Posted · Report post

First I recommend anything BUT Apple.

I have heard really good things about the GPS Samsung Galaxy S 3. (like it gets signal where Garmin 62 don't)

Also heard good thing about Motorola's Razr line (the phone in general, not the GPS specifically).

Eagle

Posted · Report post

Been using iPhone + Geosphere app for 3 years. Frequently going strong while droid/android phone users are changing batteries and rebooting. Used it on virtually all major series in Houston including Texas, one huge smile, greenway trail, mother goose, Baytown nature, Laporte bike, red bluff, etc.

The utility of the setup is quite useful. Thinking about hosting a smart phone event soon to educate people and separate myth from reality on smart phone/app choices. Droid & iOS.

It simply works and works simply.

I'm not an apple disciple - far from it!

This is my only apple product. All PC / unix on my world otherwise.

My .02

Posted · Report post

I'll second the iPhone with Geosphere. You won't go wrong with it for caching, as a phone and all for the other things these handy gadgets do. (There is a great streaming app that lets me watch the movies stored on my home computer).

The phones are all pretty good, so I would focus on the ergonomics. So whatever you get, make sure it is comfortable in your hand and easy to get in and out of your pocket. The difficulty of using too big of a phone will make caching more difficult and make it easier to drop the phone or set down in an unfortunate place instead of tucking it safely in your pocket.

So go to the store and ask them to bring out some untethered phones and let you stuff a few in your pocket. Should be no problem for a guy with such a trustworthy face.

Posted · Report post

First I recommend anything BUT Apple.

FIRST ANYTHING BUT A DROID. :stirpot:

Posted · Report post

Samsung Galaxy S III by far. Large Screen, Big battery, GPS w/ GLONASS satellites does a great job compared to standard GPS on phones. Implementing GLONASS is one thing that the Nexus Line hasn't done yet to my knowledge.

Posted · Report post

Samsung Galaxy S III by far. Large Screen, Big battery, GPS w/ GLONASS satellites does a great job compared to standard GPS on phones. Implementing GLONASS is one thing that the Nexus Line hasn't done yet to my knowledge.

I have also heard good things about this one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I too have heard good stuff about it but haven't had a chance to cache hands-on and side by side with it or the Nokia yet.

For the record, the positioning technology in the iPhone 5, the S III, and the Nokia are all superb.

iPhone5:

A-GPS, Glonass, Cell ID, Wi-Fi positioning

Samsung S III:

GPS, Glonass

Nokia Lumia 920:

GPS, A-GPS, S-GPS, Glonass, Cell ID, Wi-Fi positioning

It''s been said many times, but "it's the software stupid" comes to mind more often than not. The OS's and Hardware are all outstanding Bert. If I were you, I would look very hard at the competing apps for each of these outstanding phones and really assess which "fits" you best.

Edited by KeyResults

Posted · Report post

I too have heard good stuff about it but haven't had a chance to cache hands-on and side by side with it or the Nokia yet.

For the record, the positioning technology in the iPhone 5, the S III, and the Nokia are all superb.

iPhone5:

A-GPS, Glonass, Cell ID, Wi-Fi positioning

Samsung S III:

GPS, Glonass

Nokia Lumia 920:

GPS, A-GPS, S-GPS, Glonass, Cell ID, Wi-Fi positioning

It''s been said many times, but "it's the software stupid" comes to mind more often than not. The OS's and Hardware are all outstanding Bert. If I were you, I would look very hard at the competing apps for each of these outstanding phones and really assess which "fits" you best.

Just to clarify on the Samsung Galaxy S III location services supported are: A-GPS, S-GPS, Glonass, and Cell ID.

I don't know if it supports WiFi Positioning or not. Not sure it's too valuable for the most part for geocaching and Cell ID may as well be tossed out the window IMO as it can be off by a mile or more :notme:

And to be fair, iPhone5 supports S-GPS as well.

Note that putting GPS and A-GPS in the list is being redundant. A-GPS is Augmented GPS which uses the wireless networks when available to get: Fast initial location (by providing Orbital data of the satellites), GPS correction info for the location (GPS isn't always accurate and timing corrections are provided by several different Augmentation standards such as A-GPS, WAAS, EGNOS, and INS) they all still will work 100% without the augmentation as a full GPSr (i.e. A-GPS doesn't required a Wireless connection to get a GPS lock, it just happens quick and can be more accurate.)

A bit about the augmentation. Wireless Base Stations (Cell Phone Towers) don't move. They know their exact location. They receive the GPS location, and the are able to determine what timing corrections are needed to make it correct. This is part of what's passed to local A-GPS units (along with current location of satellites - which is a great advantage when attempting to lock those satellites.)

Posted · Report post

My thoughts exactly Bert. I just thought I was kinda nerdy with my hobby. I don't even understand half of what they are saying. Haha

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

You understand half? Dang dude, we need to hang out! LOL

Posted · Report post

Half might have been an understatement... just saying.

Posted · Report post

I'm all over some "augmentation " as well. That's some good stuff

Posted · Report post

A bit about the augmentation. Wireless Base Stations (Cell Phone Towers) don't move....

LOL

Posted · Report post

Ok, ok, they're not supposed to move ??? And when they do move, they generally turn off their transmission of the A-GPS augmentation (and everything else for that matter) as I'm sure this one did. O0

Posted · Report post

Ok, where's that puke smilie? I'm not afraid of heights in general, but the free climbing there made me a bit nauseous.

Posted · Report post

The free climbing depicted in the video is NOT allowed under OSHA regulations, contrary to the voice-over on the video. There are plenty of fall-arresting systems available to allow for secured climbing without requiring workers to "attach, climb, detatch and reattach every few feet".

National Association of Tower Erectors response

On our current project, being over 6' off the ground without an approved fall-arrest system and 100% tie-off is grounds for immediate dismissal.

Wait... what was the original subject of this thread???