"Texas Smiley" and "TEXAS"

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello,

So Iam wanting to do the Texas Smiley and the "Texas" in George Bush Park later in the Winter. I heard that there might be an "unofficial bushwhacking map" that I could upload to my Garmin 400T. Does anyone know if this is true?

Kajun Kacher

Posted · Report post

Don't know of a map, but use pipeline right of ways when possible. Most of the TEXAS and Smiiley are pure bushwacking.

For the TEXAS series, part of the X, the A and S were all cleared out by the fire in Sept. 2011. The underbrush has grown back, but it is still easier than when it was first placed.

Posted · Report post

Starting on the S side and walking it all the way back to the car is about 11 miles, if I remember correctly.

Posted · Report post

Starting on the S side and walking it all the way back to the car is about 11 miles, if I remember correctly.

That's about how I remember our visit too. Think it was from around 7:15 to about 3:30.

Posted · Report post

Took me a day to do the smiley and 2 days to finish the TEXAS. But I'm old and slow...

Posted · Report post

Kajun_Kacher, if want someone to hook up w/ to do either/both of these series with you later this winter, I'm planning on doing them this winter myself. If the timing is right we can do it together. Two sets of eyes are always better than one.

Posted · Report post

Kajun_Kacher, if want someone to hook up w/ to do either/both of these series with you later this winter, I'm planning on doing them this winter myself. If the timing is right we can do it together. Two sets of eyes are always better than one.

I would like to join if at all possible.

Eagle

Posted · Report post

I would like to tag along if there's a group going. I'm not sure if I want to bushwhack these on my own.

Posted · Report post

I've done both series. Both were worthwhile and great fun, but I will only do that much bushwhacking for new smileys. Y'all have fun and post some before and after photos

Posted · Report post

I will do the TEXAS since I did the Smiley face in the drought at 102 degrees in shorts. All fun and crazy.

Posted · Report post

Add me to the group to go for either the smile or TEXAS. I need them both. I am all for extra eyes when that much bushwacking is involved.

Posted · Report post

If you do the TEXAS from east to west, you can return along the Noble Road Trail and pick up another 25+ caches

Posted · Report post

Wow!!! great advice!!! I say lets get a group together! I heard January/February is best, since there is less growth, and less critters! SO I am game for a group. It would be a blast. So how does MLK weekend sound in January 1/19 - 1/21? I h. ave a 3 day weekend and would be able to do both?. Ideas, thoughts?

Posted · Report post

If you want to do sooner, here is another idea. Christmas is on a Tuesday. I would figure many people would try to take the Monday Christmas Eve off 12/24. That would creat a Sat, Sun Mon as well. Not sure how many ppl would want to cache on Christmas Eve, but it is an idea.

Sounds like it would take 2-3 days to do both smile and texas. Any ideas, suggestions?

Posted · Report post

I have the smile, but need Texas, so I would like to plan to do this, but I don't have MLK off and my goodness, that is all the way in next year, so I don't know if I can do it or not right now. I'll keep it in mind though (who am I kidding, remind me...)

Posted · Report post

I would like to do it in dec if there is a wknd anyone likes lets talk

Posted (edited) · Report post

Look on www.everytrail.com. I and others have uploaded tracks that you can download.

So I saw the tracks on "every trail"

This should help

I will add as a custom map to my Oregon 400t

Edited by Kajun_Kacher

Posted · Report post

January 19 & 20 that would work for me thatis MLK weekend what ya'll think? anyone want to do this?

Kajun Kacher

Posted · Report post

Look on www.everytrail.com. I and others have uploaded tracks that you can download.

So I saw the tracks on "every trail"

This should help

I will add as a custom map to my Oregon 400t

You don't have to do a custom map. You can download the track from the website and then in Track Manager on your Oregon, tell it to show the track. Then it will be right there on your Oregon to see.

Posted · Report post

January 19 & 20 that would work for me thatis MLK weekend what ya'll think? anyone want to do this?

Kajun Kacher

I've been trying the SMILE-series myself, found a couple but it was a bit too much bushwhacking to do all by myself & the missus didn't enjoy it at all, so if you're planning on doing it on a friday I'd be happy to go along!

Just let me know and we can set something up!

Posted · Report post

Why not set a date and post it in the Metro mash-up section in advance and you might get a good group of folks to go with you?

Posted · Report post

So -- is anyone going to go for the TEXAS and the SMILEY. I am not available on the 25-27 of Jan but would like to meet up if there is a group going.

Posted · Report post

So -- is anyone going to go for the TEXAS and the SMILEY. I am not available on the 25-27 of Jan but would like to meet up if there is a group going.

That would be a tremendous feat. ~4 miles for the smiley, and ~8 miles for Texas.

Whew!

Posted · Report post

That would be a tremendous feat. ~4 miles for the smiley, and ~8 miles for Texas.

Whew!

I think my GPS mileage for TEXAS was closer to 11 counting a few stray caches on the hike back to the parking area. Doing both in one day would be quite an accomplishment.