Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keep Jones Forest Beautiful CITO

59 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Dolphin pond 1 is locked out. I found it but logging is blocked.

Dolphin.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Interesting

Edited by log dawgs

Okay, this post is for all who have never been to W G Jones state forest. This is a wonderful place to geocache that words cannot describe. We rode our mountain bikes and every so often, the sandy road caused us to stop, but it is very doable on bikes, albeit with some effort, especially if the horse hooves have chewed up the road. We saw no snakes, not much thorns, and in comparison to Baytown, almost no poison ivy. Very few mossies also. Here's a photo of my Bride and I at the Iwo Jima Memorial cache:

Geocaching11-5-1213.jpg

We did 38 on bicycles including the GC2T4BA8.gifPresidential Series Mystery Cache which is a serious bushwhack that took us a half hour going in and out. This was a little over half of the caches and took us 5 hours, to give you an idea what to plan for. I know people do it faster, but if you just amble along and enjoy the trip, I think it is more like 8-9 hours, even on bikes, or a two day trip. We found every cache we looked for and there are many very big cache containers, so bring the swag and TB's. This is a state forest, so there are no toilet facilities, so pack accordingly.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

Dolphin pond 1 is locked out. I found it but logging is blocked.

Dolphin.jpg

I see PR disabled it back in February with the following note: Due to the drought, Jones State Forest has been closed to the public while dead wood is logged and cleared. It is probable that at least some caches will be damaged or destroyed in this process. Once the forest has been reopened to the public, the cache owner will need to physically visit the cache to determine if it is still viable, before enabling the cache. Further details will be emailed directly to the cache owner.

People have been logging the cache as found, but my guess is the owner never replied to any of PR's emails so he archived and locked it. If only he could be so diligent with caches that are actually missing with tons of DNF's!

Posted · Report post

Alright. I just wrote Prime Reviewer. Let's see what happens.

Posted · Report post

Good luck with that... :pcr:

I sent him and email last night asking for him to archive it since it was no longer able to log it and it was disabled by PR. He archived it. So........If we have a new President.........

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

So........If we have a new President.........

You are really going to drag me up to the forest again just so I can recomplete a series? Oh well WORTH IT!!!

Eagle

I just got this reply from Prime Reviewer: "Cache was archived because owner has not followed the park ranger's instructions." So how come it is locked so nothing can be posted? I don't usually see this when I visit an archived cache page.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

I just got this reply from Prime Reviewer: "Cache was archived because owner has not followed the park ranger's instructions." So how come it is locked so nothing can be posted?

No idea but there is one on the northside of the forest that is the same CO and disabled but can be logged.

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

So........If we have a new President.........

You are really going to drag me up to the forest again just so I can recomplete a series? Oh well WORTH IT!!!

Eagle

Yes because the Pres series is awesome but the new additions in what I call the US Govt series is even better.

Posted · Report post

Yes because the Pres series is awesome but the new additions in what I call the US Govt series is even better.

Link?

Posted · Report post

Well, as John Goodman said in The Big Lebowski "I'm going to have my cup of coffee..."

I just got this reply from Prime Reviewer: "Cache was archived because owner has not followed the park ranger's instructions." So how come it is locked so nothing can be posted?

No idea but there is one on the northside of the forest that is the same CO and disabled but can be logged.

From the TAMU Forest Service website: http://texasforestse...le.aspx?id=1790"Texas State Forests are Game Sanctuaries with no firearms or hunting allowed."

Technically, they can't prohibit holders of concealed handgun permints from carrying a firearm on the premises, unless it is plainly posted pursuant to section 30.06 of the penal code (the "thirty aught six" law). Namely that a sign is posted on the property that states: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun";

AND the sign...

(i) includes the language in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

O0

Edited by HoustonControl

I was thinking of doing a powertrail of foreign born US presidents. How many would be on there? :stirpot:

Edited by log dawgs

Posted · Report post

I was thinking of doing a powertrail of foreign born US presidents. How many would be on there? :stirpot:

FYI I was joking. Chester A. Arthur new conspiracy

Posted · Report post

From the TAMU Forest Service website: http://texasforestse...le.aspx?id=1790"Texas State Forests are Game Sanctuaries with no firearms or hunting allowed."

Technically, they can't prohibit holders of concealed handgun permints from carrying a firearm on the premises, unless it is plainly posted pursuant to section 30.06 of the penal code (the "thirty aught six" law). Namely that a sign is posted on the property that states: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun";

AND the sign...

(i) includes the language in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

O0

An amendment to the law in the early-2000s prevented local and state governments from posting signs like this on their properties. The only state or local locations where CHLs are now lot allowed to carry are those specifically stated in the law (court houses, jail ect...)

Eagle

Posted · Report post

Damn. No new Prez cache coming... That was about the only intrigue this election held for me.

Posted · Report post

Yep I guess America didn't know this election was really about caching. You will have to wait for another 4 Years for a new cache in the series.

Posted · Report post

Heading back into the forest in the morning. My Bride and on bikes to do the bottom 30 or so an the Halloween Letterbox and Smithsonian Institution which we missed last time. We should be there maybe by 0800. If anyone is in the park, I'll be in the blue Jeep. I couldn't get much of a signal last time, but my text should work: 832-414-7883

Posted · Report post

Heading back into the forest in the morning. My Bride and on bikes to do the bottom 30 or so an the Halloween Letterbox and Smithsonian Institution which we missed last time. We should be there maybe by 0800. If anyone is in the park, I'll be in the blue Jeep. I couldn't get much of a signal last time, but my text should work: 832-414-7883

The back 30 in the pres series are great with some large containers and the USPS Halloween letterbox and Smithsonian are two of the best three in terms of containers I have out.

Baytown Bert likes this