Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kingwood Area

28 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

While we're a lot smaller than the Woodlands and far out of for many cachers, I just want to give a nod to the Garden Tool series put out by trea. Starting with GT. 1 Shovel This (GC3X0WM) this mini-series features 9 unique hides ranging from a 1.5/1.5 to 3.5/2. All of the hides are off greenbelt trails.

Some of these hides are beautifully engineered and ALL of them are unusual.

If you're looking for a nice walk with some fun caches, please consider these.

pindroppers74 likes this

Posted · Report post

GT I. Shovel This

I noticed they're all premium member only caches. Are there parking coords listed anywhere? Finding the right entry to those greenbelt trails can be tricky for us out-of-towners!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can I drive my Jeep or Bike down to each cache? Does this pair of pants make mu butt look big?

Geocaching10-28-127.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert
KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Good job posting this, PAGirlinTX. I have found all of the Garden Things series (and FTF'ed several of them :laugh:), and Kingwood is more than a half hour drive from my house. That's a testament to how I won't think twice about going after quality caches by great CO's (or cache in area where there are quality hides). Being someone who likes to find AND place theme-based hides/series, I think the GT series is excellent. All the hides have gotten favs from me.

To answer Bert's question, I personally feel that biking the greenbelt is the best. I sometimes get as lost as last year's Easter egg when I get on the trails, but that's what my GPS is for. Load the old bike up, drop a waypoint at your vehicle before you take off, bring some water, and make a day of it....that's what I say. There are lots of other caches to grab along the way, too. PAGirl has several up that way, too. Personally, I'm been chipping away at Kingwood a bit at a time when I can steal away for some solo caching, because I love the woods in that area. I also recently had the opportunity to grab 5 FTF's with PAGirl up that way, so that just takes it from excellent to off-the-charts fun.

They won't let me in the Woodlands clique.... :stirpot:

Bert, the pants don't make your butt look big, but it does look like you have a full diaper... :laugh:

Baytown Bert and KeyResults like this

Posted · Report post

GT I. Shovel This

I noticed they're all premium member only caches. Are there parking coords listed anywhere? Finding the right entry to those greenbelt trails can be tricky for us out-of-towners!

You can park at the street end by #1 (nice folks own the house across the way and don't mind as long as you aren't blocking their driveway) and take a pretty straight trail through a lot of the series. There are a few hard puzzles and some nice drgnhntr hides on the same route. (And on the way hit a few of mine like "prototype of a fun guy", smiles.) The only exception would be the two that are off in the Creekwood nature preserve. You can bike IN the preserve but it would probably be better to move your car for those.

Now, the greenbelt trails are great to bike (we do it almost every day). Some of these caches, though, will require you to hide your bike off the trails while you make a quick foray down the utility path or into the woods. Doing that during the day is fine, but schools let out around 3pm and there WILL be kids about at that point. I've seen your bike; it could be tempting!

Posted · Report post

Who wants to cache in Kingwood. There are just crazy cachers around the area. To be specific two women. I mean really.................Of course I am kidding. I need to get back out to Kingwood and cache. Haven't been out there since Good Friday. Looking forward to the series.

Posted · Report post

Dawg...I hear tell that blindzman (yah know, the OTHER crazy cacher insanity posse Man) is doing something truly evil for dillyz out this way soon. Come join us for THAT, lol!

Posted · Report post

When are you thinking about going ?? I may be interested in meeting up with ya.

Posted · Report post

When are you thinking about going ?? I may be interested in meeting up with ya.

Me too!

Posted · Report post

Next weekend could be good to do the Kingwood Greenbelt area caches (nov 10 or 11) or most any weekday. Anybody interested ??? Am "saving the country", in Atlanta this weekend. Will definitely do a little "recon" of THAT area while there !!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm off November 13-16. My Bride and I could bring our bikes and make a day of it... and a video!

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

If we make it on Friday, the 16th, we may can get more people? Input anyone?

Posted · Report post

I could take the day off on the 16th. Start my Thanksgiving vacay a day early!

Posted · Report post

Y'all still thinking about doing this on Friday the 16th? Trying to schedule my remaining vacation days...

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

And another one or two in this series should be dropping any day now...they are building up favorite points quickly!

Posted · Report post

If we make it on Friday, the 16th, we may can get more people? Input anyone?

Well???

Posted · Report post

Larry is too occupied with his king of the hill tribute cache to him to pay attention to us low life's Bert. Hahaha

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

Well, shoot. Okay, then I'm going to wait on that series and maybe go east.

Posted · Report post

Here I sit at work on a call-out. Ha ha! Money ain't everything, but it sure helps pay for geocaching gas!