FTF Hounds

689 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I suspect he was given an Advance salary before he entered the military to obligate him to the team prior to playing.  I couldn't find it on the web anywhere but I was able to eliminate all but one of the possibilities.

Hmmmm doubtful.  He was 16 when he enlisted, didn't really start playing ball until he was in the Army, and wasn't spotted by a pro scout until after he was discharged in 1929.  Maybe this letter says 1929, but the nine looks like a seven?  Anyway, no use picking at nits.  Just bask in your FTF glory, Linden, and think about tossing a crumb or two to us wee people from time to time. ;)

I just realized in the previous two posts, I used the terms "wack" and "diss".  I must be one fly dude, fo' shizzle! ;D

Posted · Report post

Here is something I found:

In 1930, he signed a baseball contract with the Houston minor-league team, which sent Dean to St. Joseph, Missouri, to pitch. Dean joined the Houston club for the 1930 and 1931 seasons and was in the big leagues for the 1932 season when the St. Louis Cardinals purchased his contract.

Next time I am in the area I will have to check out the letter.

Posted · Report post

Maybe it was 1929...sometimes I can't read my own writing... ::)  I thought it was 1927...

Posted · Report post

My search for FTF #32.

Congratulations to mtp for FTF, as well as to the Muddy Buddies and MAES for finding it in the twilight. I guess I should leave this kind of stuff to (ohhhh what did TDW call it) ahh yes, "grizzled veterans".

Hey, at our age the term grizzled veterans is  a badge of honor.  Mrs. Muddy Buddy can attest to how E of MAES cares little for how he looks at caching.....She caught me searching for Sonoraqb's first hide in a less than distinguished position as she drove up.  M of MAES was meanwhile in our nation's capitol finding many complicated virtuals. 

We do so enjoy the hunt, the nice hides like this FTF, and meeting all you great cachers on the trails. 

Now, MedTex...you are admonished to not hide the new FTF in any HOLLY, BRIAR, or other prickly thing....think you can do that????

Posted · Report post

I made the right decision in not going for it, because I certainly would have been 4th to find, leaving Baytown at 4:45 pm.

Well maybe 5th to find  ;) I had it figured out and ready to walk out after it at 3:15ish...then my common sense kicked in and figured there were too many FTF Hounds living too close to it ready to pounce on a Sunday. Now if it would have been tomorrow I probly would have made a run at it thinking most would be stuck at work  :D

WTT

Posted · Report post

I made the right decision in not going for it, because I certainly would have been 4th to find, leaving Baytown at 4:45 pm.

Well maybe 5th to find  ;) I had it figured out and ready to walk out after it at 3:15ish...then my common sense kicked in and figured there were too many FTF Hounds living too close to it ready to pounce on a Sunday. Now if it would have been tomorrow I probly would have made a run at it thinking most would be stuck at work   :D

WTT

Oh, you don't know these people.  A little thing like work would never stand between them and an FTF.  I can see it now, a sudden outbreak of "stomach virus" all over the city at exactly 2:43 pm. :P

Posted · Report post

Now, MedTex...you are admonished to not hide the new FTF in any HOLLY, BRIAR, or other prickly thing....think you can do that????

Can you add to that puzzles where we have to get into the head of the insane hider?  I was so hoping this would not fall into mtp's hands so quickly and force us to all be trying to solve one of his ridiculously hard puzzles.  Next time mtp, stop for lunch.  We don't want to see you get too thin. 

Posted · Report post

I would definitely have to miss out on that one if that is what he decides...

Posted · Report post

Who cares about the game the commercials are what matter. Just DVR so that you can watch them later.

Maybe the puzzle will be Super Bowl related and mtp will tell PA to approve it at kick-off time.

Posted · Report post

We need that Astro GPS to attach to mtp so that we can see where he is going to hide the FTFC#33.    :D

Posted · Report post

That would make it a night cache. :D

Has the FTFC ever been a "night cache"????

Posted · Report post

That'd be cool.  Make it a night cache with reflectors and watch all the people line up at dusk.  See who could bring the biggest flashlight. O0

Posted · Report post

If you waited until dusk you won't be the FTF.  I have heard that it is possible to find a night cache in the daytime ;)

Posted · Report post

Just a note of the FTF Trophy.  There is a reason why it it in a plastic bag.  Do not open the bag and actually touch (my precious) the trophy.  There is a dark side to this challenge.

Posted · Report post

The cache can certainly be found at night. I brought it to the CL area by running to Sugarland at 1 AM.

Posted · Report post

I've found a night cache in the daytime before, but if I were placing an FTFC night cache, I'd make sure it was impossible in the daytime

...and next to impossible at night!

It'd be a six stage multi night cache with a puzzle from hell to get the coords for WP1. >:D

Posted · Report post

I've found a night cache in the daytime before, but if I were placing an FTFC night cache, I'd make sure it was impossible in the daytime

...and next to impossible at night!

It'd be a six stage multi night cache with a puzzle from hell to get the coords for WP1. >:D

Note to self:  Keep HC away from the FTFC trophy at all costs.  :laugh:

Posted · Report post

Note to self:  Keep HC away from the FTFC trophy at all costs.   :laugh:

You should have had the same note for mtp, but you blew it.  ;)

Posted · Report post

Just a note of the FTF Trophy.  There is a reason why it it in a plastic bag.  Do not open the bag and actually touch (my precious) the trophy.  There is a dark side to this challenge.

mtp, you opened it didn't you?  >:D