FTF Hounds

689 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

STAN!!!!

It's bedtime!!!!! >:(

Would this translate to something like Stan, shut up?  :D

Only in a nice way from a friend. :)

Posted · Report post

Congrats to TDW on the new cache by FTF (can't remember the name right now), that was a toughie! O0

Posted · Report post

Congrats to TDW on the new cache by FTF (can't remember the name right now), that was a toughie! O0

Have already given TDW congrats on another thread.  Agree this one was a toughie.  Looking for something we can actually do.  ???   Has anyone noticed that there were very few other caches coming up in the SW area?  Everything Friday night and Saturday seems to be way north or south.  Guess we will just have to hide one this week.

Posted · Report post

Have already given TDW congrats on another thread.  Agree this one was a toughie.  Looking for something we can actually do.  ???   Has anyone noticed that there were very few other caches coming up in the SW area?  Everything Friday night and Saturday seems to be way north or south.  Guess we will just have to hide one this week.

This just means it's time to do a roadtrip to another part of town.  If you stay in your own part of town only, then you're really missing out on some other great hides. 

However, go ahead and hide that cache.  We always look forward to your caches. 

Posted · Report post

From looking at logs on new caches, I see that MAES is back in form. Earlier today I learned about a new Pepper cache that published this morning and since it is only 7 miles from me, I headed out, expecting to see about half a dozen cars there. I figured MAES would be first since Muddie Buddies are some distance away and it published during the day. As it turned out, I managed to log an STF after Billy H. There are getting to be a number of caches along Highway 6 from Sugarland to Bayou Vista, thanks to a large degree to Pepper and Billy H.

Posted · Report post

Thanks TFB. We did get a little lucky  ;D  last night on the Bosun cache.  We decided that we could not beat Billy H and the other Alvin cachers to Pepper's latest so we passed on a FTF run since we already had plans to do several others today. 

Finally got the TDW tribute to Munkiebread off our list-(trying to remain 100% TDW finds) O0.  Also finally got around to doing the mtp "Tower of Power" and glad we did it in daylight since finding the entryway to the ROW would be terribly tricky at night. 

Posted · Report post

I figured MAES would be first since Muddie Buddies are some distance away and it published during the day.

How does being published during the day affect my going after a FTF?  I work from home, so if I decide to go after something during the day I'm able to.  Mr. Muddy Buddy just wouldn't be able to go with me.  However, I wouldn't think about going that far for a FTF.  I have gotten FTFs that far, but it turned out to be a surprise that I wasn't beaten to the them. 

Posted · Report post

I like to be FTF on caches when people least expect me to be FTF, then don't log it online until someone else does keeping the hopes of others alive only to be confronted with STF.  >:D Is that wrong of me..  :D

This is what I do, but Muddy Buddies don't like it. They want me to log it right when I get back.  :P

Sounds like someone knows you to a "T" Muddy Buddies.....ain't it nice to have a neat daughter?  We know you ran into a sandbagger today, but thanks a lot for trying.

Posted · Report post

Calling all FTF Hounds, Calling all FTF Hounds....out of 8 new caches (none were micros) we placed on 7/6 only two have been found....there are still SIX new caches just waiting..... ::)

Posted · Report post

Calling all FTF Hounds, Calling all FTF Hounds....out of 8 new caches (none were micros) we placed on 7/6 only two have been found....there are still SIX new caches just waiting..... ::)

Any of them down here in the boonies? We are planning a small power cache tomorrow and can include them.

Posted · Report post

So sorry.  I was busy doing the 288 corridor today in between assignments at work (on a Sat. --- booooo).  I bet by the time I can get over there tomorrow they are all logged...but if I am lucky..... ;)

Posted · Report post

Seems the MB's took care of business...  O0

Yeah!  We got 5 of 'em today....just before the Popeteers got there!  ;)

Posted · Report post

Seems the MB's took care of business...  O0

Yeah!  We got 5 of 'em today....just before the Popeteers got there!   ;)

Thanks for the update on the coords for the first one...it took two days to try and get those placed because it was pouring rain on 7/5 and I get totally drenched....it's hard to hold an umbrella, a GPSr, a sack full of caches, mauled by mosquitos and get them placed while getting 40-50ft accuracy.  So I picked them up and headed back out on 7/6.  Satellite accuracy still stunk and I was hoping for better on #1 but never really got it.  We breathed a little easier when y'all found it.  We don't like placing caches when the satellites are so goofy but we've been trying to get some caches into this area before it was invaded by micros... ::)

Posted · Report post

We don't like placing caches when the satellites are so goofy but we've been trying to get some caches into this area before it was invaded by micros... ::)

We appreciated the regular sized caches in the woods instead of the micros, so thanks. 

Posted · Report post

We don't like placing caches when the satellites are so goofy but we've been trying to get some caches into this area before it was invaded by micros... ::)

We appreciated the regular sized caches in the woods instead of the micros, so thanks. 

No kidding, I cached out by Lake Livingston over tyhe weekend.  A butt load of old caches by Babslover and such, almost all full-size caches, long hikes, cool swag, I highly recommend it.  It was a nostalgic day for those who are not new and only ever knew a world of micro-spew.....

Posted · Report post

No kidding, I cached out by Lake Livingston over tyhe weekend.  A butt load of old caches by Babslover and such, almost all full-size caches, long hikes, cool swag, I highly recommend it.  It was a nostalgic day for those who are not new and only ever knew a world of micro-spew.....

Full size caches in the woods are cool when the temp is cool, but micros can also be cool if the container or hide or writeup has been given a little thought.  We really like the shorter walks and (usually) fewer associated chiggers in the Houston summertime with most micros.

Posted · Report post

If it is summer and the chiggers are alive and well, I stay out of the woods, give me those beat the heat or quick micros.

Posted · Report post

If it is summer and the chiggers are alive and well, I stay out of the woods, give me those beat the heat or quick micros.

Chiggers are completely preventable if the proper precautions are taken.

Come on, get out there in the deep woods and find some regular sized caches.

Posted · Report post

Micros definitely have their place.  We think the issue is really when a micro is placed where a small to large cache can fit.  There are a lot of micros with cool themes and good write-ups as well.  It sometimes may seem that all the good spots are taken by larger caches but it you really look hard and do some homework then there are a lot of untapped places out there...

Posted · Report post

Some clarification:  We like micros.  Mrs. OSC loves micros.  She loves the challenge and I've gotten a lot better myself with them, too.  Sometimes you want a micro after walking in the deep woods and covered in sweat and swarmed by critters. 

But we like putting in swag for the kids and we know that is a key aspect of the sport.  wowieann was telling us her 7yr old likes the caches with goodies in them better than micros. 

We don't want anyone to think we oppose them at all.  We've done some nanos and we really like them.  We've placed micros in some pocket parks that couldn't fit a bigger cache.  We've placed micros where there is a really cool view.  We've placed micros in some really interesting custom containers.  So we do like them.

Just not everywhere all the time.

We haven't done the Beat The Heat Series yet.  It sounds like a great concept and has a great title.  They probably are all located where a full sized cache can't go.  At least we're assuming the majority are micros...correct us if we're mistaken. 

Posted · Report post

The Beat The Heat series is a wonderful concept for the idea it represents and should remain a micro but we would rather look for a larger box in general.

Micros have their place in life but we have noticed a lot of real estate is wasted on a micro when a larger container would fit the space.

Anyone that wants to see what I mean can cache the Mineola area of Texas for a bunch of good examples of this. Long country roads out in nowhere and you are looking for a camo covered bison tube or 35mm can hanging in a tree in the forest with a 1.5/1.5 rating.

Either way we will go for them because they are a cache but would rather see a larger container than a micro hidden in places like these.

Posted · Report post

I sure enjoyed hunting the two new ones you placed in Telge Park on Sunday evening after the showers. It was muddy, the skeeters were persistant, but the hunting and trading were good.  O0

Posted · Report post

I sure enjoyed hunting the two new ones you placed in Telge Park on Sunday evening after the showers. It was muddy, the skeeters were persistant, but the hunting and trading were good.  O0

Me too.  I especially liked the lamp shade idea.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.  Of course I liked the coffee can one too since we were FTF on that one.  I think we need mosquito fogging planes to fog all of the Houston area though.  :D

Posted · Report post

The BTH Series is most certainly a micro type of series. However that being said, I have had such a great response to my regular sized BTH Cache that I have 4 more regular BTH caches in the works.