Sign in to follow this  
geohiker

West Texas/New Mexico Suggestions

We are heading out to West Texas/New Mexico area for a week and wanted to see if there were any must do caches out that way. We will be hitting Guadalupe Peak, Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands.

Here are several if you go by them. Odessa, Tx. Ector Co. Odessa Meteor Crater GC646F, a virtual; A Spectacular Celestial Collision, GC16J2E, an earth cache; Explosions in the Sky, GC316HV, traditional just outside the fenced off crater. Monahans, TX. Ward Co. (where I grew up). 42 Million gallons of Oil, GC12CNN, a huge earthen and cement oil storage tank from the 20s or 30s; There is Sand in them dar Hills, GCZNH (I think I missed a number or letter), an earth cache. Mentone, Tx. Loving Co. there are the only two in Loving Co. I believe. 79754, GC621F, a virtual; Good Ole' Butterfield, GC2H0BC.

Between Monahans and Odessa there seems to be a big series of caches by BAVA3. I know nothing about these but there seems to be quite a few of them. If you are a little farther north and go thru Andrews there a cache in the Courthouse. This Cache Sucks, GCF255, a virtual. It sounds like you can get the needed answers even if the Courthouse is closed. georeyna and trea were just there and just before them Rich and Lola, Kirbydox and Houston Control were there while getting Texas counties. Dixie is heading out there next week for a class reunion.

Oops, I missed one. If you are doing counties, this one looks like it should get Culberson Co. It is right on the Texas-New Mexico border. Tex-nmex, GC1BARB. It is on US 285 going from Pecos to Carlsbad.

Guadalupe Peak is a great hike and a virtual cache. At around 7700' watch for ladybugs. We went in late August one year and they were all over - tons of them. Literally in clumps on rocks, trees, etc. The views are incredible. Highly recommend it if you've got the time! Hoping to get back there soon myself.

I am sure you will be trying to hit some counties but here is a challenge that Trea and I did while we were grabbing counties in West Texas. From your explanation, it seems as though you will be going through the two New Mexico counties needed for *The Permian Basis Challenge* See attached link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=917e787b-d6b5-455f-a5c5-84c12ce1712b

I highly recommend the earth caches Ralph shared. Trea and I really enjoyed them.

Here are three caches with one with a Munzee and are interesting stops...you will enjoy them.

Another EC: Roadside Geology: http://www.geocachin...c8-67b8eee1f993

A Whereigo. really good! Very well planned! http://www.geocachin...f9-b15d1733bd13

A MUST cache for the geocacher w/munzee: http://www.geocachin...52-c9823de379be

Edited by georeyna

Here are a several more ideas depending on your route

Pecos, TX Reeves Co. "Hang 'em first, Try 'em Later" GC2KDP2 A replica of the Judge Roy Bean Courthouse. Growing up in the area I thought it was the real one.

Pecos, TX "Home Of the World's First Rodeo" GC234FP A couple of years ago we posted a DNF on this one.

Artesia, NM "The Derrick Floor" GCJC1X A lifesize bronze of a cable tool drilling well.

Artesia, NM "Chisum II - Artesian Wells" Another lifesize bronze. In one of the oil booms Artesia came into a lot of tax money. All of that part of West Texas and New Mexico did.

Roswell, NM "Alien Watch" GC13Y0H If your in the area, it seems like you ought get one UFO type cache. We haven't cached there and this was one of the alien caches I could find. There should be some more.

Have fun in the desert.