Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huff-Suter

ET HIGHWAY...

10 posts in this topic

Hey folks, has anyone done the ET HIGHWAY at Night? did you encounter any issues...animals..dangers....

It's great at night. Just a little more challenging. Beware of the stupid rabits. The Nevada Jackrabbit has to be the absolute dumbest animal on the planet. I think when we were there we chased one what seemed like several miles -- .1 at a time. It would zig zag on the road and go forward. It would NOT leave the road. Can't tell you how many times it almost became a pancake. Finally it left the road, more likely than not because it was so dead-tired it got confused. If it had its senses about it, I'm positive it would have kept going. :uglystupid2:

We saw a few coyotes and heard many more, but it's the same routine. Have a good flashlight and extra batteries to go with you to the cache. A spotlight that plugs in the car for the front passenger to light you up is helpful. The super-bright flashlights get hot and those batteries can be expensive. Bass Pro has a nice, small charge or car plug spotlight for $14.95 that would have been nice to have had I had it then. But the light from the car casts shadows for you in the field, so you will want your own to help you look as not every one is seen from the road.

I liked doing it at night. It added an element of difficulty (other than sheer duration / exhaustion) that you didn't have during the day. And an element of comedy. Amazing how something so simple can be so difficult at night. Over and over again, lol.

Oh, and watch out for scrub-brush roots. They will jump out and get you when it's dark. :buck2:

1 person likes this

rabbits huh...ok...and whats a scrub brush root? i just might look into the flash light for the car...good idea..

thanks Cachestacker...

Biggest issue with the low numbers - that is the 0001-0800 or so - at night would be hitting a cow at night while "punching it" between the caches - we were told that is 2nd leading cause of death there and there is a memorial cache along the ET highway for a cacher who was killed hitting a cow at night, flipping his Wrangler.

We did run over multiple jack rabbits at night, it got less traumatic with each one of the stupid critters - and the only other issue is it's harder to keep the numbers quite as high since you can't see the cache as you drive up to it as easily. We'd have the runner standing in the open doorway of the van with the "portable sun" looking and they would just jump when they spotted it. (Come to think of it, this may be why the reverend kianlo made me vow to bring the cachemobile to a complete stop before my bride exits it in our wedding vows.)

We spent an hour or two doing night caching the day we broke a thousand in a day. Or best time was just before night since we were in a panic about how bad it would be once we lost the light. "Cache like it's sunset," has been a battlecry since then. The reality is that we were still turning up good numbers near the end in the dark.

Edited by crossmage

Thank you both for your comments....so we must be on the look out for the jack rabbits that like to play chicken... the cows...the coyotes....scrub brush roots......still need to buy a plug in spotlight for the car....this should be fun!!!!

Watch out for the aliens too. Don't wanna get them all worked up!

1 person likes this

ok Kenny, will be on the look out for the " Aliens"...

folks if you have any other advise, speak now or forever hold your silence...this should be interesting... seems like we are to watch for COWS...RABBITS...SNAKES...HORSES...COYOTES.......ohh and yea, look for the caches..

If you do NV's oldest cache (around ET 14????) watch out for animal traps. My walking stick set one off. Scared the cr$#% out of me....

If you do NV's oldest cache (around ET 14? ???) watch out for animal traps. My walking stick set one off. Scared the cr$#% out of me....

Cr$#%droppers????!!!

holy moly Pin droppers.... traps!!!... thanks for the heads up.. dont want to land in one of those....