Sign in to follow this  
log dawgs

Geocaching Block Party and APE Event

log dawgs    128

Seeker of Seasons and myself are going to Seattle in August to go to the Block Part and Mega event. We will leave on the 16th and come back on the 21st. GeoAllison will also be there from the 17th to the 20th. We will try to hit the original stash plaque and maybe Canada. We were looking to see if anyone else was going to see if we could lower some costs of the Rental Car, Gas, and other items. If you are interested shoot me an email.

thacatfish    60

man im really interested i gotta check into my schedule though and see if i could possibly swing it. how much was the plane ticket? or are yall renting a car and driving up there?

crossmage    22

I am considering a business trip to Portland to end that weekend and renting a car from there to Seattle. It probably doesn't fit into your plans very well. :-) I got the original stash plaque and the un-original stash there last time - make sure you get both, and definitely make time for Doctor Who. I believe it's one of the top 2-3 caches I have ever done.

Snoogans    9

I am considering a business trip to Portland to end that weekend and renting a car from there to Seattle. It probably doesn't fit into your plans very well. :-) I got the original stash plaque and the un-original stash there last time - make sure you get both, and definitely make time for Doctor Who. I believe it's one of the top 2-3 caches I have ever done.

Yep the only person I know of who PAF'd the plaque. That has got to be some kind of record right there. :2funny:

Dr. Who. is no Necropolis, but it ranks right up there for sheer cool factor. It's Team Snook's favorite cache and they have like 30k+ finds.

I wish I could go to the Block Party this year if only to be back in Seattle. I love that city. I could live there.

crossmage    22

Yep the only person I know of who PAF'd the plaque. That has got to be some kind of record right there. :2funny:

I just needed to know if it was on the hill or not since I had gone the wrong way around the car to get the cache and missed the plaque. It was muddy as hell and I knew that if i went down the hill, I would not be able to climb it a second time.

As it was I slipped coming back down and ended up sliding right down to the plaque. (There might be a spoiler hint there for future finders.) Covered in (sacred) dirt for my trek to the Lilly Pad - and frankly, Snoogans, if you hadn't distracted me by laughing at me so hard I might never have slipped!

thacatfish    60

hum 388 aint bad. im gonna look a little further into it and see if i can swing the time off of work and such

log dawgs    128

We may come back on the 20th as well. I did schedule a visit to groundspeak HQ on Thursday the 16th at 2PM. It would be the only time available. So that is at least scheduled.

Snoogans    9

I just needed to know if it was on the hill or not since I had gone the wrong way around the car to get the cache and missed the plaque. It was muddy as hell and I knew that if i went down the hill, I would not be able to climb it a second time.

As it was I slipped coming back down and ended up sliding right down to the plaque. (There might be a spoiler hint there for future finders.) Covered in (sacred) dirt for my trek to the Lilly Pad - and frankly, Snoogans, if you hadn't distracted me by laughing at me so hard I might never have slipped!

Hey what are friends for. :2funny:

You're like an adventure magnet. Stuff just happens to you. You can't blame that on me. :stirpot::2funny:

HoustonControl    1,046

You guys are tempting me. I have the APE cache (archived anyway), and have been to GS headquarters, but I've never been to a Block Party nor to the original stash plaque. Decisions, decisions....

Mr. ZHR    56

We have Dr. Who on our radar, but we will be there near the 4th. I'm not sure if the business will be open. I'm wondering if you have to be a Dr. Who fan to get the cache. If so, we are out of luck.

cook cachers    30

Thanks TheNorman! Cachin shark and I are big Doctor Who fans so we needed to put this one on the list.

Who's you Doctor?

Mine is the 4th - Tom Baker

cs's is the 10th - David Tennent

TheNorman    132

I'm currently working my way via Netflix through them all. I didn't watch originally, but started watching with David Tennant, so I'm partial to him. My favorite single episode is Blink, but I have to admit a special fondness for Vincent and the Doctor (even though he's the 11th Doctor).

If you search for caches named "Doctor Who" there are 30 caches, and "dr who" gives 23, while "dr. who" gives another 27. I haven't checked to see if there is duplication--but the Doctor keeps popping up all over! :angel:

heftydude    132

We may come back on the 20th as well. I did schedule a visit to groundspeak HQ on Thursday the 16th at 2PM. It would be the only time available. So that is at least scheduled.

You don't have to do that. The Block Party has a log board for HQ and you get to log that one as well for attending the block party. I did the same thing last year and then the gracious lackey explained it all to me. The down side is that at the block party, you don't actually get to go inside HQ, so you may want to keep your appointment anyway.

heftydude    132

For those making this trip and working on the D/T matrix, I will point out two caches that my brother and I did in Seattle (area) to fill in rare gaps in the D/T matrix (both are worthy treks in their own right). One is Lake Martha - a 1.5 / 4.5 cache (Kemis and I are still the last to log it almost a year ago now). The other is Extraordinary Experience - a 4.5 / 4.5 cache (only two logs since ours last year).

And if you go up into Canada, I'd recommend Now...This is Fly fishing just inside the border at that park. 101 favorite points right now. Also in Canada, we made a bit of an extra drive to go for was Chirp, Chirp I for D/T chart reasons. Although it is currently disabled.

I have too much going on to go back this summer, but I do have fond memories. You guys will have a blast.

cook cachers    30

Generally your doctor is the first one you see/bond with, so if you were to watch as a young child and not enjoy the doctor but watch again a bit older and like that doctor, then the second one would be it. For you it would be David Tennent as you are already partial to him.

In Dallas the local programing director for PBS (Owen and Luke Wilson's father) was a anglophile who started showing British shows as soon as they became available. So I was early on Monty Python, Good Neighbors, and Doctor Who, etc. That is when Tom Baker became my doctor. Some say it may be why I married a Brit, lol.

crossmage    22

We have Dr. Who on our radar, but we will be there near the 4th. I'm not sure if the business will be open. I'm wondering if you have to be a Dr. Who fan to get the cache. If so, we are out of luck.

As long as you follow the instructions on the cache page, you won't need to be a Doctor Who fan to make the find.

As to my doctor, that would be Tom Baker as well. I'm lucky in that he was Phoenix Lady's doctor, too though that was her mom's influence - she's really too young to have anything but Peter Davison as her doctor - but it is nice to share the same doctor. Tennant really impressed me (and I am enjoying his Shakespeare on BBC radio - did you know he will be doing a drama called "True Love" with Billie Piper?) and I was sad to see him go. Matt Smith seems to have some of Baker's ability to go from being a foolish clown to being a frightfully old and dangerous foe at the drop of a fez.

Snoogans    9

Thanks TheNorman! Cachin shark and I are big Doctor Who fans so we needed to put this one on the list.

Who's you Doctor?

Mine is the 4th - Tom Baker

cs's is the 10th - David Tennent

log dawgs    128

No offense but please do not HIJACK this thread. I appreciate all the great incite to the area.

thacatfish    60

hey log dawgs im looking into it pretty hard right now to see if i can come up with the extra funds for sure and to see if i can swing the time off of work to be able to go. if im on call that weekend i gotta see if i can get a co worker to cover for me for the weekend also which would be another hickup. juts letting u know where i stand for now. really wanna go though

log dawgs    128

No problem. Just shoot me an email. The more the merrier as costs will go down with each person added.

Snoogans    9

Just remember that petty crime is pretty high in the Seattle area. Keep your valuables with you or locked up. And by locked up, I don't mean in a car.

Also, don't miss XXX Root Beer if you want some great food that is really bad for your health. http://www.triplexrootbeer.com/

One more thing for all you Northern Exposure fans... Roslyn, Washington aka Cicely, Alaska is a short drive from Snowqualmie Pass to the East. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslyn,_Washington

Edited by Snoogans