Sign in to follow this  
firered365

USB as Geocache and other type of Geocaches.

firered365    2

I am thinking about having a geocache with a USB in it. It won't be hard, but the USB will have a password with a puzzle.

Here is another one I am planning to use as a Geocache.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YDQBY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=svengalie-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0002YDQBY

What do you guys think?

Muddy Buddies    103

There was a cache that had a USB in a cache in Alexander Eisenhower park but they don't tell you that it's in there. They just tell you that you'll almost guaranteed have to make a return trip to finish it. When I found out that it was because of a USB, I was really irritated because how many carry a computer around with them to geocache. I don't want to leave a computer in the car for it to be stolen, and I really don't want to be carrying a computer around for it to get damaged while caching.

If you do put a USB in your cache, please be considerate and let people know up front so that they can decide if they want to do it.

Another problem that I see is whether people want to risk introducing a virus to their computers from someone else's USB. I think it's great that you are trying to be creative, but I don't think that I'd want to take the risk.

ATMA    39

I would not plug any device into our computers due to the high odds of it containing some sort of virus whether put on it intentionally or not. With the stuff being passed around these days, you just never know what could be on something like that.

OHL Hockey Guy and us were thinking about a cache something like this years ago and decided against it for that reason.

Eagles1181    48

How about setting up a drop box account and putting a stack of slips of paper with the link to the file. Then they can just download the file and there is far less risk of a virus, no way for a user to infect the file, only the file owner (you).

Eagle

log dawgs    128

I am thinking about having a geocache with a USB in it. It won't be hard, but the USB will have a password with a puzzle.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0002YDQBY

What do you guys think?

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0002YDQBY

I have one of these in my Piece De Resistance Multi, Id Rather Rob a Bank is also one and Dagerkitties has one as well.

The USB cache is in Alexander Deusen I have also done another USB cache and PR may not let it fly if you post it and you really need to do so.

bbqandbeer    7

I would not plug a usb in that I did not know the complete history of.

I have done network design and security for financial tradefloors, datacenters for global fortune 5 companies and did a pretty large stint working on the infrastructure that powers the us power grid for nearly 15 years. (ercot, caliso, spp, pjm, miso, isone, other iso's and rto's). You would be amazed at what gets onto usb drives. Stuxnet for example was carried in on usb drives by seimens techs. A common attack venue of all corporations is to "litter" usb keys in the parking lot, smoking sections and outdoor eating/seating areas. People carry them in to look and see what they find and boom.

Not no, but hell no. I would probably throw them in the trash on my way out of the park on general principle.

Great Birds    33

The only way I would plug a wild USB drive into a computer is if I brought it home to my experimental Linux machine. An old box that boots from a CD and does not retain any memory when shut down. While anti-malware programs are much better these days, the chance of an infection isn't worth the risk for a smiley. The dropbox Idea is good, particularity if it is a text file rather than an executable.

HoustonControl    1,046

My company now prohibits using USB's or CD Roms or any other type of portable memory with company computers, unless you have special clearance. If you try to plug a USB into your computer, it will refuse to read it. Sad, but apparently necessary. I guess the Chinese will have to figure out some other way to steal company secrets...

bbqbob2    176

I guess the Chinese will have to figure out some other way to steal company secrets...

I'm sure they already have. Why invent and/or develop a product or process when you can steal it and counterfeit it

The Russians were pretty good at this, with the Buran as an example. Or was it a coincidence?

http://englishrussia.com/2006/09/14/buran-the-first-russian-shuttle/

post-608-0-81961200-1336751791_thumb.gif

Edited by bbqbob2

crossmage    22

A common attack venue of all corporations is to "litter" usb keys in the parking lot, smoking sections and outdoor eating/seating areas. People carry them in to look and see what they find and boom.

As a penetration tester, when doing social engeneering assessments, I often use this tactic....

OTOH, I would definately take and play with a USB stick to see what was on it - I use a VM that I delete afterwards - but always interested in seeing whats on there. If its new and cool malware - maybe it's something I can use. :-)