Sign in to follow this  
crossmage

ET Hiway - Rent SUV or Minivan?

crossmage    22

OK, I have my reservations placed for my minivan, but a cacher i know came back and said not to get one - get a SUV instead. I would normally feel better about an SUV, but I also want to break 1,000 caches in a day and know how sore i was just from opening my jeep door 400+ times last time I did a power-trail.

Which vehicle makes the most sense and why?

Edited by crossmage

Nov64    55

After doing rt66 in a Jeep Liberty last month ..... I would say the minivan so you can keep the door open

cachestacker    736

If you're going for big numbers you'll want the minivan. If you're wanting to go off the power trail to some of the cooler but more remote caches you'll be limited with a minivan. But you can still do quite a bit with a minivan.

It will be difficult and tiring to do big numbers without the convenience of the open door and not having to jump up / down from a higher clearance vehicle.

Huff-Suter    6

i am so watching this thread, I have heard so much from so many and I am sure opening and closing a door is old after like 100...and jumping in and out will exhaust the best of us.....will you have enough gas to use a mini van?

cachestacker    736

Depends upon how fast you are. Heard of some getting horrible mileage on the mini vans. We had great luck. We got a 5 gal container at wally world in Vegas and filled it up before heading out. We never needed it, but it was nice to know it was there.

log dawgs    128

did the gas smell mess with you in the van?

No because we had the side door open most of the time and were careful not to spill any while filling up.

kianlo    17

Which vehicle makes the most sense and why?

Rent BOTH!

Drive the van to the end of the ET highway. Jump in the SUV and drive to the start of the ET highway. Park the SUV there. Then WALK the ET highway and grab the caches on your hike. When you get to the end, drive the van back to pick up the SUV. That way, you don't have to hike and not get caches when you go back to the beginning.

georeyna    108

did the gas smell mess with you in the van?

When the gas started to expand, Rich would open the lid and let it vent, then close it and we would continue caching. No big deal, just remember to vent the gas can. We had to vent Rich too!! :2funny: