Geocaching with an IPAD

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have recently gotten an IPAD that has to have Wi-Fi available to access online info. Is there an app that would allow me to download cache pages, etc at home and then access them in the field off-line? I would be using my GPSr to locate the caches, but it doesn't hold good maps or cache page info--only name and coords.

Posted · Report post

I think you can download with Cgeo, save it, and then work offline, but I've never tried it. But then Cgeo is a droid app. You need the Apple equivalent and I'm not sure what that is. So, I've been ... no help. Sorry.

Posted · Report post

There is not an iPad version of c:geo. I am sure there is an app that can read GPX files, but I don't know what it is.

Posted · Report post

Talk with adventure 777 he caches with an iPad I believe and it does pretty well from what I've seen

Posted · Report post

Yes, like thacatfish says you can call me. 713-705-6047. Chris

Posted · Report post

Look at iGeoPad. I don't have it myself but have heard a few good things. I do not know if you can pre download the maps. I use Geosphere on my iPhone but do not cache with my iPad. Go to ayefon.com for more info.

Posted · Report post

The regular Geocaching app does it, too. You download your PQ to it and can access it in the field. Works like a charm.

Posted · Report post

The regular Geocaching app does it, too. You download your PQ to it and can access it in the field. Works like a charm.

I didn't think the regular Geocaching app worked w/ Offline maps. I'm fairly certain the droid version doesn't at least. Anyway, I've cached w/ my WiFi Moto Xoom using my phone as a WiFi Hotspot. It's a very nice large display for the road.

Posted (edited) · Report post

About this time last year I used an app called iGeoKnife for a short while. It allows you to import your GSAK databases and works from them. My only complaint was the font was too small for me and couldn't be enlarged. The author may have fixed this by now.

Edited by Thot

Yes, like thacatfish says you can call me. 713-705-6047. Chris

How about listing the geocaching iPad apps you've had experience with that don't require a cellular connection with your comments about performance and friendliness?

Edited by Thot

Not an answer to your question necessarily but if you have an android smartphone, download FoxFi and use it to create a wifi hotspot for free. Of course, that will use your cellular download data, but I doubt it would be much.

Note*: I just noticed this was an old topic, but I'll leave my answer anyways for those that don't know about FoxFi.

Edited by GeoGeex