Sign in to follow this  
KeyResults

GBP Alphabet Soup Series, and vicinity

Wonderin' if a mtn bike is useful for the alphabet soup series among others along S.E. part of GBP? That's a new area of the parks oe me.

Any G-2 would be appreciated for planning purposes. Just feel like attacking some with the bike, but cannot tell if this area is suited to mtn bike of not.

Thank you my brothers and sisters!

K

I would not think that the Alphabet Soup Series would be good for bike. There are two big elements that make it not very good. The first one is thick mud after rain. This is the element that we encountered when we did it. We were sinking deep in mud as the mud continued to cake up on our boots. With all of the rain that we've had, I would expect the conditions to be about the same. The 2nd factor is the head high weeds unless they have just mowed it, which I doubt since I think the mowers would have had a hard time getting back there without getting stuck in the mud. The ones that have gotten off the trails in GBP (including us before getting Kevlar tires) have had problems with punctures of thorns. There are some good places in GBP to ride bikes, but I don't think that the Alphabet Soup series is one of them. Actually in drier weather, the portion east of Barker Clodine is probably doable with a mountain bike.

I did half of the alphabet soup series probably 8 months ago. I actually drove my truck back to the high line and plowed down weeds taller than my truck driving down it. I can tell u for sure Kenny it isn't doable on a bike. I pretty much made my own trail with the truck.

Check to see if they cut the grass..if so then maybe your bike will work. But I did all by foot and know there are many areas that would only hinder the full potential of a mountain bike to its full use.

Check to see if they cut the grass..if so then maybe your bike will work. But I did all by foot and know there are many areas that would only hinder the full potential of a mountain bike to its full use.

The grass hasn't been mowed since last summer, so it is about waste high. Also a very snakey area, and if you try this series as it is now, wear snake boots and carry a big stick.

• Like 1