Sign in to follow this  
TheNorman

Newbie Question about GeoWoodstock

TheNorman    132

Tealcat and I don't attend many events. We're in Huntsville and most things that are going on are not terribly convenient for us. We have attended two Texas Challenges and had a blast at both (but it sure would have been nice if the rain had held off another couple of hours).

I've seen people post about attending GeoWoodstock, and I am curious. What goes on at GeoWoodstock? Is it a great big socializing event? Is it an event like the Texas Challenges?

HoustonControl    1,046

Imaging the Texas Challenge, but without the challenge. OK, there are other organized activities, lots of vendors, food, travel bugs, geo-poker, classes and seminars on different geocaching topics, buying/selling/trading of pathtags and geocoins.... you name it.

But, yeah, it's basically a great big socializing event...

Edited by HoustonControl

HoustonControl    1,046

So I was trying to get a pathtag made for GW10. I procrastinated a bit too long and suddenly realized earlier this month that is was right at 6 weeks before we were planning to leave for the event and I'd better do something quick. Rather than try to push something new through the system, I decided just to remake one of my previous tags, but change a couple of colors and get a different tracking number. Since they can use the same mold, there is no setup fee and I figured I could get the tags a bit quicker. Their system said this tag was still eligible for being remade and all I had to do was submit the altered artwork. I did that and the next day, got an email that said I needed to go to the Pathtag website and approve the tag design. So far so good, right?

Well, the design that showed on the website wasn't the same that I submitted. A large part of the tag that I designated as being black showed to be gray on their artwork. I rejected the design with comments to that effect, also mentioning that I was trying to get these in time for Geowoodstock. A week later, I get a reply that the section would indeed be black, they just showed it in gray to differentiate between what was paint and what was raised (black) metal. Gee, it would have been nice if they'd have included that comment in their first email! I approved the artwork and asked them to proceed, just praying that the tags will get here in time.

Four more days go by and now I've gotten an email saying that the existing mold is now over 3 years old and has been "recycled" by the factory and I'll have to pay $50 extra to have a new one made. They couldn't have double-checked on that first? Figuring that by now there's no way I'll get the pathtags by May 21st, I just asked them to cancel the order and refund my money.

So don't ask to trade pathtags with me a Geowoodstock. Yeah, I'm at fault for waiting too late in the game to get started, but I'm not real happy with geocoin club right now...

georeyna    108

Darn, I hate when that stuff happens. :tickedoff:

I ordered my path tag, approved the artwork...now it is time to wait..... :unsure:

The events around the area seem to be very exciting. I plan to hit the Mega Cavern on Sunday, the day after the event, with the Kiddos, this is really turning out to be a fun event, hopefully everything will run smoothly!!

So I was trying to get a pathtag made for GW10. I procrastinated a bit too long and suddenly realized earlier this month that is was right at 6 weeks before we were planning to leave for the event and I'd better do something quick. Rather than try to push something new through the system, I decided just to remake one of my previous tags, but change a couple of colors and get a different tracking number. Since they can use the same mold, there is no setup fee and I figured I could get the tags a bit quicker. Their system said this tag was still eligible for being remade and all I had to do was submit the altered artwork. I did that and the next day, got an email that said I needed to go to the Pathtag website and approve the tag design. So far so good, right?

Well, the design that showed on the website wasn't the same that I submitted. A large part of the tag that I designated as being black showed to be gray on their artwork. I rejected the design with comments to that effect, also mentioning that I was trying to get these in time for Geowoodstock. A week later, I get a reply that the section would indeed be black, they just showed it in gray to differentiate between what was paint and what was raised (black) metal. Gee, it would have been nice if they'd have included that comment in their first email! I approved the artwork and asked them to proceed, just praying that the tags will get here in time.

Four more days go by and now I've gotten an email saying that the existing mold is now over 3 years old and has been "recycled" by the factory and I'll have to pay $50 extra to have a new one made. They couldn't have double-checked on that first? Figuring that by now there's no way I'll get the pathtags by May 21st, I just asked them to cancel the order and refund my money.

So don't ask to trade pathtags with me a Geowoodstock. Yeah, I'm at fault for waiting too late in the game to get started, but I'm not real happy with geocoin club right now...

crossmage    22

As to events around GeoWoodstock, watch this space for the possible announcement of another event. Phoenix Lady and I have been working with Bryan Roth at Groundspeak and he's engaging the GeoWoodstock organizers and... well.. We'll let you know as we find out.