Bear in GBP!

25 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Sorry the title for the thread should have been bearS plural even more fantastic!

Posted · Report post

Thought so. It was Baytown Bert and thacatfish messing with a guy, wasn't it?

Posted · Report post

Hard to tell much in the pics of the 'bears', could be the feral pigs as far as I could tell. And that looks like a deer scrape to me. Bear scratches leave claw marks below it and are not so long.

Posted · Report post

I was going with a near certain case of mistaken identity. Is it being suggested that someone was playing a practical joke on a cacher?

Posted · Report post

I haven't seen any bears, but I have seen Bigfoot! (GC3B187)

Posted · Report post

I have seen some very big animals in the park with funny colors like red and blue. I chalked it up to someone hitting the animal with a paint balls

Posted · Report post

Large pigs, I believe. Run into some very large ones, one in the 450-500lb range, in GBP last summer. Bears. That's funny.

Posted · Report post

Looks like the photos were taken with a phone and are not clear at all. These could be feral pigs. However, bears are moving into East Texas and Texas Parks & Wildlife tracks bear sightings which are reported to the East Texas Black Bear Task Force. They have created a poster for hunters that shows the silhouettes of a bear and a pig, showing how similar they are.

Posted · Report post

Too funny!!

I think those are actual pics of feral cachers!! LOL!! :2funny: :2funny:

You know some people just hang out in GBP way too long!!

Posted · Report post

I forgot to mention, that while black bears vary in color, East Texas black bears are black, not brown as described in the log.

Posted · Report post

Used to watch my dad and a friend of his catch those types of "bears" when I was a little girl. They make some great bacon! :teasing:

Posted · Report post

Used to watch my dad and a friend of his catch those types of "bears" when I was a little girl. They make some great bacon! :teasing:

So it was thacatfish? He was out tasting bbq last week, probably still has a faint bacon smell on him.

Posted · Report post

So it was thacatfish? He was out tasting bbq last week, probably still has a faint bacon smell on him.

LOL. Maybe?? He has been in Katy lately

Posted · Report post

The first time I saw one of those black feral pigs in the East Texas forest, I thought it was a bear cub at first sight. It wasn't to far off when spotted but was thankfully across the Neches River. I started taking a weapon when solo hiking after that.

Posted · Report post

O.K., so for you "Bear Believers," you may want to go to the online store Cache-Advance and check out thier Bear Bells. "Keep those bears away! These bear bells have a loud yet nice sound. Comes with a velcro strap to attach to your pack, belt, or dog's collar. Colors vary. $6.95. :coolsmiley:

Posted · Report post

O.K., so for you "Bear Believers," you may want to go to the online store Cache-Advance and check out thier Bear Bells. "Keep those bears away! These bear bells have a loud yet nice sound. Comes with a velcro strap to attach to your pack, belt, or dog's collar. Colors vary. $6.95. :coolsmiley:

May get one to warn people I am showing up to an event! :2funny:

Posted · Report post

And carry pepper spray!

They say it's important to also be able to distinguish between black bear droppings and Grizzly (brown bear) droppings so you'll be aware of which you may encounter in the woods. Black bear dung is smaller and has bits of twigs and berries in it. Grizzly bear dung is larger and has small bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

FamilieRyan likes this